Author Topic: transmission  (Read 4393 times)

Offline morningAngel

transmission
« on: February 28, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »
Okay, I have a two year old Land Rover, about 40k miles on it.  Nearest Land Rover dealership is Salt Lake City, 4+ hours from here.  Its one of them there "furrin" vehicles to the mechanics here, but they are doing their best and call Land Rover when they do the service work.  A couple weeks ago the transmission cooling hose went kaput at the gromet (sp?) no biggie, course to get the part took over a week as we live here in nowhere.  Then to put in fluid involves an allen wrench and directions from the dealer.  There is no transmission fluid dipstick, its all sensors. 
Anyway, 24 hours after I get Mya back (mya new truck) it felt "boggy" and when I got home I noticed a fluid leak.  Mechanic came to my house as I live ten miles out and burped the line and added two quarts of fluid.  Took little bug to the grocery store shortly afterwards and noticed tranny fluid leaking.  Now due to the resevoir on the fill there is a problem with air burps, so am thinking this might be an overflow issue of it burping again...am I just dreaming the impossible dream?  I really can't afford three grand for a new tranny..give me some hope here...
I plan on going up north tomorrow which in 200 miles..do I dare go?
and why does this happen to me?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: transmission
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »
Well, I can't tell you why things happen to you, but I'm sure Carl's going to be here shortly, and can tell you want's reasonable to expect, and what's not reasonable.

I have to say Carl is a top-notch asset to this site; he was right-on about my deal.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »
do you think Carl could be on stand by all weekend in case I have more troubles? I absolutely dread a breakdown with the little one along, scary enough to be miles from anywhere, most areas have no cell coverage, but a single woman with a five year old girl on the side of the road ..yikes

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:07:07 PM »
Yeah, that is something to be concerned about.

Carl's here a lot; I'm sure he'll show up.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 03:14:04 PM »
Yeah, that is something to be concerned about.

Carl's here a lot; I'm sure he'll show up.

I've been considering going Amish, but in my youth had plenty of buggy wrecks as well .. :banghead:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
I've been considering going Amish, but in my youth had plenty of buggy wrecks as well .. :banghead:

Oh Hell, the wheel wasn't invented yet when I first learned to drive.

Anyway, I'm asking around, in case Carl's busy.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »

Oh Hell, the wheel wasn't invented yet when I first learned to drive.

Anyway, I'm asking around, in case Carl's busy.
bless your little heart :)
I rely upon the kindness of strangers *fluttering eyelashes and fan*

Offline OkieJohn

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »
MA,

I have some British auto friends who are emailing me back with some info.  I'll pass it on when it gets here.

As to the trip, I don't think I would risk it.  There may be a simple fix for this.  If you take the trip at high speeds and run low on fluid you could destroy the tranny.  I wouldn't take the chance.  Of course being towed 200 miles back home doesn't bother some people.

You need to clarify the term boggy.  That term usually applies to the engine not the tranny.  Is the transmission slipping or not shifting properly?

Low fluid is the big enemy of auto-transmissions.  The fluid provides lubrication and cooling to the clutch packs.  If it gets low the packs burn up rather quickly.

John

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
MA,

I have some British auto friends who are emailing me back with some info.  I'll pass it on when it gets here.

As to the trip, I don't think I would risk it.  There may be a simple fix for this.  If you take the trip at high speeds and run low on fluid you could destroy the tranny.  I wouldn't take the chance.  Of course being towed 200 miles back home doesn't bother some people.

You need to clarify the term boggy.  That term usually applies to the engine not the tranny.  Is the transmission slipping or not shifting properly?

Low fluid is the big enemy of auto-transmissions.  The fluid provides lubrication and cooling to the clutch packs.  If it gets low the packs burn up rather quickly.

John

boggy as in I accelerated and it didn't respond immediately...its usually right on the mark...just didn't feel right...

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »
Okay, I have a two year old Land Rover, about 40k miles on it.  Nearest Land Rover dealership is Salt Lake City, 4+ hours from here.  Its one of them there "furrin" vehicles to the mechanics here, but they are doing their best and call Land Rover when they do the service work.  A couple weeks ago the transmission cooling hose went kaput at the gromet (sp?) no biggie, course to get the part took over a week as we live here in nowhere.  Then to put in fluid involves an allen wrench and directions from the dealer.  There is no transmission fluid dipstick, its all sensors. 
Anyway, 24 hours after I get Mya back (mya new truck) it felt "boggy" and when I got home I noticed a fluid leak.  Mechanic came to my house as I live ten miles out and burped the line and added two quarts of fluid.  Took little bug to the grocery store shortly afterwards and noticed tranny fluid leaking.  Now due to the resevoir on the fill there is a problem with air burps, so am thinking this might be an overflow issue of it burping again...am I just dreaming the impossible dream?  I really can't afford three grand for a new tranny..give me some hope here...

It is possible that there is an air pocket in the cooler and that is stopping the fluid from circulating but should clear out somewhat easily.
I could see where that might create a pressure problem within the valve body and cause the tranny to shift funny or slow.
Things are too darn complicated now.
Overall I would be more concerned with leaks and am hoping one of the sensors is for a low fluid warning.
Is the leak visible under the radiator where the cooler is located or back at the transmission itself.

If it keeps leaking then no probably best to not drive it or at the least get several quarts of fluid and the proper tools required to add the fluid in.
If possible drive it around locally tonight and tomorrow and see if the boggy problem goes away.
I wouldn`t be concerned just yet with that.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 06:51:51 PM »

It is possible that there is an air pocket in the cooler and that is stopping the fluid from circulating but should clear out somewhat easily.
I could see where that might create a pressure problem within the valve body and cause the tranny to shift funny or slow.
Things are too darn complicated now.
Overall I would be more concerned with leaks and am hoping one of the sensors is for a low fluid warning.
Is the leak visible under the radiator where the cooler is located or back at the transmission itself.

If it keeps leaking then no probably best to not drive it or at the least get several quarts of fluid and the proper tools required to add the fluid in.
If possible drive it around locally tonight and tomorrow and see if the boggy problem goes away.
I wouldn`t be concerned just yet with that.

okay I feel better, thank you
leak is front by radiator, but new hose is clean, dry and intact.  drove to the little grocery store about five blocks, and about 1/4 of a cup was on the pavement when I got out.  Drove back and watched and lost maybe a tablespoon or so.  (ok, been doing a lot of baking lately, sorry)  problem is, it takes two men and an assortment of tools just to get to the plug to add fluid.  mechanic told me to bring it in tomorrow for an oil change that is due anyway...small town so he knows when I should be in..so will drive to town, ten miles, drop lilly off at school, another couple miles and then take to the shop, that should give them a good enough idea do you think?
signed up for triple A just in case...
thanks Carl, you are a sweetheart and my knight in shining armor :)

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
A Land Rover has at least a 3 year warranty on the power train which includes the transmission. I doubt that your transmission is the problem. Probably something minor.

I have owned 3 British cars (MG, TR3 & Sunbeam Alpine) and all of them have had more than their share of mechanical problems. According to Consumer Reports, the Land Rover is no exception to that rule. Since you iive in the boonies, I would get rid of that vehicle and buy a Jap vehicle. Not trying to be a smart ass but you need something that is very dependable and is easy to work on; I have owned many cars and the Jap cars are the best when it comes to reliability. Good luck with your repair. 

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:07:13 PM »
the local shop gave up on my tranny and suggested I go to a dealer.  I found a second opinion shop that is triple A recommend.  The guy checked it out, found out the previous shop had overfilled it (no dipstick) and it was shooting oil out of the tranny thru the vent.  He took a flashlight and took me over the whole engine and showed the system he set up to collect the fluid if more overflowed from the vent tube (similar to a chest tube for a lung patient)  Its been working good for 24 hours now, and I am to bring it back to have the chest tube removed Friday and for a complete check over (for free) before I drive up north to glacier country. 
I still owe on the Land Rover, and it is an ideal vehicle for this country.  So I am stuck with it for a couple more years at least.  I am optimistic as I have found a mechanic that is willing to work on it, and to call a Land Rover mechanic from Vegas if necessary. 

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 07:54:42 PM »
the local shop gave up on my tranny and suggested I go to a dealer.  I found a second opinion shop that is triple A recommend.  The guy checked it out, found out the previous shop had overfilled it (no dipstick) and it was shooting oil out of the tranny thru the vent.  He took a flashlight and took me over the whole engine and showed the system he set up to collect the fluid if more overflowed from the vent tube (similar to a chest tube for a lung patient)  Its been working good for 24 hours now, and I am to bring it back to have the chest tube removed Friday and for a complete check over (for free) before I drive up north to glacier country. 
I still owe on the Land Rover, and it is an ideal vehicle for this country.  So I am stuck with it for a couple more years at least.  I am optimistic as I have found a mechanic that is willing to work on it, and to call a Land Rover mechanic from Vegas if necessary. 

Good news that it was only something minor. I took my ex g.f. car to the dealer for an oil change; it ran terrible afterwards. Come to find out they put too much oil and/or the wrong kind in it.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 07:58:38 PM »
Yikes.  Overfilling an engine/tranny can cause a leak in the seals.  If that happens, you might as well sell the car.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.