Author Topic: Lurking DUers  (Read 8560 times)

Offline Flame

Re: Lurking DUers
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 06:28:32 AM »
Well this isn't going to make me real popular and I'm kind of glad the bitch slaps are gone  :-)  but folks with opposing views are not always treated with respect when they post here.  Lanie comes to mind.  Mia comes to mind.

Obviously there are way more of us, than there are of them here so they are ganged up on and it frequently ends in a bunch of name calling.  So I can understand why many of them wouldn't feel comfortable posting here.

But it is kind of stupid for them to call us out over there, where they know their challenge can't be answered.

I agree, and have said so as well.  So no bitch slaps from me!

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 07:31:45 AM »
Ya know; it helps if you can actually PROVE the crap you spew at the DUmp!

Yup they get out of the echo chamber and try to run their BS by us we can make them go batshit crazy with two simple words..."prove it".
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
To bad the words put up or shut up does not work with their little pea brains
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »
Ya know; it helps if you can actually PROVE the crap you spew at the DUmp!

The one thing all of the stranglers lack when they come over here is FACTS! Why is it they always get in the way of LOGICAL conversations with sane people?

The reason DUmpsters don't come here to have a decent debate is because we shred them into spaghetti with FACTS! Innuendo and falsehoods just won't work with people who actually LOOK THINGS UP! We figured out what Google was a long time ago! It's the same reason the alphabet networks are pulling hind tit!

(in my best Redneck keyboard), It's the reason Y'all are goin' to be suckin' ass, come the next election, hippie!

Don't know if this was directed at me or not, but, I'm not a hippie and definately not a liberal. :-)
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 10:32:58 AM »
Well this isn't going to make me real popular and I'm kind of glad the bitch slaps are gone  :-)  but folks with opposing views are not always treated with respect when they post here.  Lanie comes to mind.  Mia comes to mind.

Obviously there are way more of us, than there are of them here so they are ganged up on and it frequently ends in a bunch of name calling.  So I can understand why many of them wouldn't feel comfortable posting here.

But it is kind of stupid for them to call us out over there, where they know their challenge can't be answered.

Yeah that.  There are some folks that just can't disengage their ego from the opinions on any website, and just can't handle the fact that someone could be sane and not agree with them.  Every place has a few of 'em.  They seem to actually be a strong majority of the posters on DU.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
Don't know if this was directed at me or not, but, I'm not a hippie and definately not a liberal. :-)

I guess it could be directed at you if you're a DUmmie! Well, are ya? if so, I expect ya to put up some PROOF!

I don't generally use smileys, but  :-)

edited to add smiley
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:54:24 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:18 PM »
Yup they get out of the echo chamber and try to run their BS by us we can make them go batshit crazy with two simple words..."prove it".

There you go being a big meanie again.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 06:35:26 PM »
There you go being a big meanie again.
Ya forgot the doody-head part... :p
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 06:39:59 PM »

you better be for free love and boobiez of GET THE **** OUT!

:bird:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »
Well, I'm always for free love and boobiez!
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 06:53:03 PM »
Well, I'm always for free love and boobiez!

Welcome aboard, leg.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »
Thanks. Been here a while. Just haven't posted much.

Offline Token

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Commie Bastid!
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 04:31:30 AM »
Hi, I'm a DUmmie. Yeah, seriously. An actual member of what you guys refer to as the DUmp, etc.  :tongue:

I'm not one of the "famous" members, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, as I don't like that sort of mindless cliquishness anyway). Nor am I a hugely popular DUmmie. I have a bad habit of saying things a lot of people there don't particularly like. I do have well over 1000+ and most DUers probably at least know of my existence. I've hit Greatest several times, for all that's worth. It's worth a little more to me, because Greatest is basically a popularity contest, so if I get on there, it means the content must have been above average (or abnormally awful, from you guys' perspective). Most of you also know of my existence, although sadly I don't get really frequent attention here. It's heartbreaking. :-)

I don't suppose it would be too hard for you guys to figure out who I am, so just for the record, and right from the outset, I should make it clear that I won't confirm my identity even if you guys figure it out. That would be a rather silly thing to do, given that I'd probably get booted off what you guys call Skin's Island rather rapidly, since I already suspect I'm on pretty thin ice there anyway, lol. There are a couple issues I actually agree with you guys on (at least more than I do the left), and it wouldn't do to have this fact exposed at DU, because as you correctly point out, they do not like dissent. I've already been banned twice, actually. Two accounts down the toilet well before 1000 posts, but with this last account I finally got the message and disciplined myself to avoid the topics that get me in trouble. Ain't self-censorship fun?

So, a bit about me. I can't reveal too much, because that would just make my identity blatantly obvious and take the fun out of it for all of us. Let's just say I'm pretty much your typical liberal except for a few isolated issues. I'm not a hippie, though. I can't really stand them. No balls at all, and no real intellectual substance beyond a desire to legitimize endless dope-smoking sessions as some kind of political statement. I also part from most liberals on a couple of those tricky "values" issues. Economically, though, I'm left of Marx and should be able to provide lots of entertainment for you guys on that front. You won't find a bigger tax-and-spend commie than me, although I do oppose most benefits for illegals, for the simple reason that we natural-born American commie bastards will eventually lose our gravy train if we try to lavish largess on the entire world. In a perfect world, I'd be all for it, but this ain't a perfect world.

Why am I here? A couple reasons. Firstly, I tend to agree with those who suggest that progressives are presenting a pretty poor account of themselves by refusing to engage you guys at all. I mean, come on, like one guy said, it's not as if any of you can put a fist through the monitor, so what's the fear? I can understand other DUers not wanting to waste their time, but I think it might be good for me. That's the second reason I'm here. I've become aware I need to improve my skills in effectively dealing with people who disagree with me.

As some here correctly suggest, there's a limit to what ranting self-assuredly in an echo chamber can accomplish. One also needs to engage one's opponents, and learn to do so skillfully if at all possible. This looks like a good place to hone my patience and work on my temper, because you guys lay it on pretty thick here. I do not expect to "educate" you guys or change your minds. That won't be happening, and you won't be "educating" me or changing my mind, either. Political ideas spring from values that run way too deep for that. Most of your values are not mine, and most of mine are not yours. That is extremely unlikely to change, but like someone said, sane people ought to be able to disagree.

So anyway, enough rambling. You know how long-winded and self-absorbed us liberals can be, hehe. Just wanted to pop in, announce that a DUmmie has heard the call, and see what happens.  :evillaugh:
-Token FORMER DUmmie, DUmp Monkey, primitive, etc (now tombstoned by Der Gestapo). Still a commie, though.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 05:24:40 AM »
Political ideas spring from values that run way too deep for that. Most of your values are not mine, and most of mine are not yours. That is extremely unlikely to change, but like someone said, sane people ought to be able to disagree.

Oh my.

One is speechless.

Welcome, and sit down, relax, and kick off the shoes, making yourself comfortable.

We're mellow here, and as you pointed out, sane people can disagree without getting all wrought up and upset.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 05:33:48 AM »
You won't find a bigger tax-and-spend commie than me, although I do oppose most benefits for illegals, for the simple reason that we natural-born American commie bastards will eventually lose our gravy train if we try to lavish largess on the entire world. In a perfect world, I'd be all for it, but this ain't a perfect world.

Doesn`t that statement fly in the face of Communist ideals and pretty well sum up why Communism fails.
It doesn`t elevate (other then a very small percentage) anyone economically but eventually will leave everyone poor.
As you said,it isn`t a perfect world and that is the reason alone any form of Marxist economics is doomed.

I`m not trying to pick an argument,you have been very well spoken and pleasant,just that statement struck me as being a bit contradictory.
I suspect you yearn for the idealism of it all but deep down also know it can`t work.

Offline Flame

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 06:04:20 AM »
I've gotta say, you came over here with the right attitude, at least so far, and I for one appreciate it.  Just beware...there are those here that are, um, a little coarse ( :-)) in defending their beliefs, so be ready for  some  :hammer:.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 06:18:03 AM »
I've gotta say, you came over here with the right attitude, at least so far, and I for one appreciate it.  Just beware...there are those here that are, um, a little coarse in defending their beliefs, so be ready.

Oh now, madam, we're all nice guys here.

Some of us are a little rumbuctious at times, like a bunch of tiger cubs playing around, but nothing more than that.

I'm not sure what to make of the Phenomenon; it's nothing like what I've ever seen, coming from Skins's island, either here or at our old home.

Surely everyone here remembers other entrances by primitives--the Phenomenon is a non-primitive, by the way--where they came in here spewing obscenities and insults before we even got to know them.

As far as I'm concerned, the Phenomenon is as free as the air, to disagree with us, and dispute us; there's no reason to walk on eggshells.  The only hard-and-fast rules in this, the DUmpster, are that one not bash the military, and that one not hurl obscenities and invectives at other members, unless at franksolich.  As long as one follows those two rules, one is pretty much unbannable, no matter one's opinions.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:16 AM »
Hi, I'm a DUmmie. Yeah, seriously. An actual member of what you guys refer to as the DUmp, etc.  :tongue:

You've started out well.

Be prepared to cop a lot of flack as it's not often we get a real deal liberal to play with.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 06:22:15 AM »
I concur and hope that as long as any DUer registers here and is polite and respectful to others that the same is afforded to them.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »
Wow--a liberal with a brain, who comes in willing to discuss rather than lecture.

Be still my heart!   :heart:
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 07:12:21 AM »

As some here correctly suggest, there's a limit to what ranting self-assuredly in an echo chamber can accomplish. One also needs to engage one's opponents, and learn to do so skillfully if at all possible. This looks like a good place to hone my patience and work on my temper, because you guys lay it on pretty thick here. I do not expect to "educate" you guys or change your minds. That won't be happening, and you won't be "educating" me or changing my mind, either. Political ideas spring from values that run way too deep for that. Most of your values are not mine, and most of mine are not yours. That is extremely unlikely to change, but like someone said, sane people ought to be able to disagree.

Don't be so sure of not changing your thoughts and feelings on some issues.  It's happened before.  Common sense can rub off through interactions.

Unlike $kins Island one is not auto nuked here for stating one's political preferences.  I think you'll find CC members willing to engage in reasonable, adult discussion without resorting to juvenile name calling and personal attacks as is the debate style ala DU.

Welcome to you.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:15:17 AM by whiffleball »

Offline Token

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Commie Bastid!
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 07:16:14 AM »
Hello all, thank you for the welcome. I must admit, I can't imagine getting such a reasonable welcome if I were a conservative posting on DU (supposing for a moment that conservatives were allowed to post on DU, which of course they are not).

This is encouraging, although I expect that the warnings some gave are correct and I might encounter some hostility as the discussions progress. I will try to avoid responding unkindly to such hostility. This is you guys' house and I am a guest in it.

Thank you for not biting my head off immediately. I was wondering if the claim that this forum welcomes lefties to sign up and discuss the issues was genuine. It seems that it is. I congratulate you on being sincere about this invitation.
-Token FORMER DUmmie, DUmp Monkey, primitive, etc (now tombstoned by Der Gestapo). Still a commie, though.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 07:21:54 AM »
Thank you for not biting my head off immediately. I was wondering if the claim that this forum welcomes lefties to sign up and discuss the issues was genuine. It seems that it is. I congratulate you on being sincere about this invitation.

Just remember, you don't have to walk on eggshells here; your opinions, perceptions, and experiences are just as valid as those of anyone else.

As a matter of style, it's best to comment what one knows, rather than what one "feels."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 07:27:23 AM »
So, Token, can you answer Freeper's original questions? 

Offline Token

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Commie Bastid!
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »
Yeah, I'll answer them.

Why are you so angry over the marches today?

I'm not, personally. I don't agree with many of the viewpoints expressed, but they absolutely have the right to march.

I have seen post after post of how you want to hurt and kill us.

I do not want to hurt and kill you. Rather, I would like you to have a public option for health care. Note that I did say "option," if you did not want to use it, you could retain your existing coverage. I understand you do not support this, though. You do not want to be required to pay for it if it is not something you are likely to use, which is understandable. I do wish you were willing to help those who do not have health care, but I understand you do not see that as your responsibility but rather each person's own.

If we are the minority like you claim why are you so threatened by us?

I'm not threatened, but I do think the tea partyers are having a lot of influence on the health care debate despite being the minority, because they are very willing to take a strong stand for what they believe in. I wish those on my side of the fence shared this willingness, but the derisive stereotype of lefties being armchair warriors has a certain amount of truth to it. We don't organize, we don't fight, we don't take to the streets, and therefore even a determined minority can derail our plans because we show no willingness to stand up for ourselves.