Author Topic: Best-Selling Bible for Conservative Evangelicals to Undergo Revision  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Best-Selling Bible for Conservative Evangelicals to Undergo Revision

The top-selling Bible in North America will undergo its first revision in 25 years, modernizing the language in some sections and promising to reopen a contentious debate about changing gender terms in the sacred text.

The New International Version, the Bible of choice for conservative evangelicals, will be revised to reflect changes in English usage and advances in Biblical scholarship, it was announced Tuesday. The revision is scheduled to be completed late next year and published in 2011.

"We want to reach English speakers across the globe with a Bible that is accurate, accessible and that speaks to its readers in a language they can understand," said Keith Danby, global president and CEO of Biblica, a Colorado Springs, Colo.-based Christian ministry that holds the NIV copyright.

*snip*

Supporters say gender-inclusive changes are more accurate and make the Bible more accessible, but critics contend they twist meaning or smack of political correctness.

Acknowledging past missteps, the NIV's overseers are promising that this time, the revision process will be more transparent and that they will actively promote what they describe as a long-held practice of inviting input from scholars and readers.

MORE

:popcorn:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MrsSmith

Re: Best-Selling Bible for Conservative Evangelicals to Undergo Revision
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
I don't know how many conservatives actually use this bible, most prefer the NASB for accuracy.  Mr Smith calls the NIV the Non-Inspired Version for the prophesies they've messed up by changing genders.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:05:42 PM »
Do people buy new Bibles very often?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:42:05 PM »
Typically as gifts or when we wear 'em out.  I had an aunt who needed a new one every year at least.  She read it daily and had taught Sunday School for 60+ years.  She "retired" when she was unable to physically visit every member of her class at least once a week.....at age 90.  She lived to be 102.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 07:09:28 PM »
Typically as gifts or when we wear 'em out.  I had an aunt who needed a new one every year at least.  She read it daily and had taught Sunday School for 60+ years.  She "retired" when she was unable to physically visit every member of her class at least once a week.....at age 90.  She lived to be 102.

I was curious, because most that I see are well worn.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:53:20 PM »
I was curious, because most that I see are well worn.
Those are the best kind....read often.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
When I met Mr Smith, I had 2 Bibles...one I got after confirmation class when I was 12, and one that had been given to me a few years later.  I think we have about 25 now...and we've given away quite a few, also.   

It seemed kind of weird to me, at first, but I got used to it.   :-)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »
I had one but I lost it when I moved.  I bought a nice hardcover one to replace it.  I guess if you're in the habit of giving them as gifts, it would make sense.  When I worked at the bank a few years ago, Thomas Nelson was one of our customers and we all got pocket KJV New Testaments at Christmastime since T-N is here in town.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:37:27 AM »
Oh heaven's yes! Quite a few in fact.

I teach retarded kids to throw them at stray animals.

BTW - How can the translators claim to want a Bible that is "accurate" but then arbitrarily re-render passages. The Hebrew language has male/female nouns; it either is or isn't a given gender and even if it didn't just changing something because you happen to think a contemporary culture would enjoy it more is not scholarship, it's fashion/fad/novelty.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 05:05:08 PM »
Oh heaven's yes! Quite a few in fact.

I teach retarded kids to throw them at stray animals.

BTW - How can the translators claim to want a Bible that is "accurate" but then arbitrarily re-render passages. The Hebrew language has male/female nouns; it either is or isn't a given gender and even if it didn't just changing something because you happen to think a contemporary culture would enjoy it more is not scholarship, it's fashion/fad/novelty.
Exactly!