Author Topic: 75 Killed in Baghdad Blasts  (Read 2141 times)

Offline thundley4

75 Killed in Baghdad Blasts
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »

In this video image, smoke can be seen rising into the sky, following  explosion near Iraq parliament building in Baghdad, 19 Aug 2009

"Iraqi police say a series of explosions near high-profile targets across Baghdad killed at least 75 people and wounded more than 310 others.

Wednesday's attacks made it the bloodiest day in the Iraqi capital since U.S. combat troops withdrew from urban areas on June 30.

One blast tore through a neighborhood near the heavily fortified Green Zone, covering it in debris and shattered glass.  The blast went off near Iraq's Foreign Ministry and shattered windows of Iraq's parliament building. " Voice Of America

Withdrawal: another success story?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: 75 Killed in Baghdad Blasts
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
Time to say "We told you so".
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:55:57 AM »
A year ago, any violence in Iraq would have merited large , screaming headlines and would be the big story on cable news. Now? Meh.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
Hmmmm...that's because then they'd have to call this Obama's War, and for some strange reason the DUmp is silent on this one so far.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59:17 AM »
IIRC that building in the picture is the al-Rasheed Hotel.  Which means that the pic was taken from the Convention Center.  Both are pretty much in the heart of the Green Zone.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
IIRC that building in the picture is the al-Rasheed Hotel.  Which means that the pic was taken from the Convention Center.  Both are pretty much in the heart of the Green Zone.

Is there a Green Zone , now that the US has pulled out of urban areas?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
Is there a Green Zone , now that the US has pulled out of urban areas?

I'm not sure.  Considering all of the important Gov't buildings are in that area...not to mention the MSM offices and AFN are still in that vicinity...I'd have to imagine the Green Zone as I knew it is still in place.  It wasn't just the military that was in that area...there were HQ's for all the NGO's...as well as USAID...the State Dept and the CIA.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »
I'm not sure.  Considering all of the important Gov't buildings are in that area...not to mention the MSM offices and AFN are still in that vicinity...I'd have to imagine the Green Zone as I knew it is still in place.  It wasn't just the military that was in that area...there were HQ's for all the NGO's...as well as USAID...the State Dept and the CIA.

That would make it a prime target for the terrorists with US troops gone.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 11:18:07 AM »
That would make it a prime target for the terrorists with US troops gone.

Exactly!  They tried when we were there and got lucky a couple times.

Seems to me that the odds of success would go up with us gone.