Author Topic: Tiny purple pepper plant  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Tiny purple pepper plant
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »
I bought an unknown pepper plant at the farmer's market, shame on me for not getting more info from the vendor.  The plant is small and covered with tiny dark purple peppers that eventually turn red.  I'm assuming they are very hot.  Each pepper is about 1/2 - 1" in length. 

1)  Has anyone grown these peppers; if so, what the heck are they called?

2)  Soliciting ideas/recipes for anything I can use these peppers for (salsas?  hot sauce?  seasoning?) as I have very little experience making my own hot stuff. 

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Tiny purple pepper plant
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:30:35 AM »
Photo would be helpful.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
All web resources say it's a Peruvian pepper plant and its fruits are "medium to very hot" and usually grown for ornamental use, but edible nonetheless.  I'm still interested in trying to make something out of them, however.

So... any ideas, suggestions? 

http://www.seedsofchange.com/images/product_shots/PS10787B.jpg
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »
All web resources say it's a Peruvian pepper plant and its fruits are "medium to very hot" and usually grown for ornamental use, but edible nonetheless.  I'm still interested in trying to make something out of them, however.

Add some to salsa, or to a marinade. 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »
Purple peppers?

My next door neighbor grows these -- They start out very dark purple, then turn red when ripe. I ate a bit of one last year, said "These aren't very hot", then took a lager bite -- WOW! Just as hot as Thai peppers. Just under 1", and more egg-shaped than elongated. He tells me they're called something like "Pretty Purple Peruvian Peppers". Seeds of Change sells something like these; they call them a C. frutescens.

http://www.chetbacon.com/peppers/Hotpeppers.html

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »
Add them so a stir-fry to kick up the heat, or use them in a salsa or sauce.  Use in a marinade with chicken or steak.  Add them to a chili. 

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »

I have one of those plants. I can use the peppers as I would any other chili, but I like to use the dark purple ones chopped very finely and added to salad for a little kick of heat and for appearance as a colour contrast.