Author Topic: A.P. Cracks Down on Unpaid Use of Articles on Web  (Read 50838 times)

Offline Godot showed up

Re: A.P. Cracks Down on Unpaid Use of Articles on Web
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
From the article...

Tom Curley, The A.P.’s president and chief executive, said the company’s position was that even minimal use of a news article online required a licensing agreement  with the news organization that produced it. In an interview, he specifically cited references that include a headline and a link to an article, a standard practice of search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo, news aggregators and blogs

The word that's particularly funny to me here is references. How in the world is one to use AP as a reference as anyone might use any journal, book, or news source? Those particular elements--headline, title, and link if online source--are necessary to APA or AMA style, or just about any written reference style. I create reference lists all the time for specifically commercial use--advertising pharmaceuticals--and it's all 100% fair use and in fact required by any reputable academic standards, too. It's not giving credit for information that can get you in most trouble!  We  have to pay for single-use and/or multiple-use due to copyright only when we use reprints or reproduce/adapt figures or tables (and that can usually be gotten around by changing them to some other format, which is not always a good enough option, but sometimes is).

Anyway, I think they're on pretty shaky legal ground on this one. I don't think they can win all the way down to a "link and a headline." Not that they're worth caring about.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:51:11 AM by Godot showed up »

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »
AP, I have to laugh.

Anyone wonder why I am a bit or allot nuts ::I give you my Mother.

A good 30 years ago Mom and dad decided to fly to the Caribian.  Now mom is a blue eyed blond who looked 25 years younger then she was.

Up comes some dude that struck up a conversation with my dad but payed more attention to mom.  Mom was flattered and got a little silly so when he asked her about her Job, she told him she was a free lance reporter for AP.  Funny thing he believed her and out of the blue when they got on the plane they were updated to first class.

It was my Dad that told me that story and he vowed to allways bring mom along to get good seats on a plane.

Thanks for the memory of Mom and her most interesting life.

Offline regjones123

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 02:28:05 AM »
there is always alternatives to AP like reuters. also lots of citizen journalism going on.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 02:54:38 AM »
 :yawn:

They throw a public temper tantrum every other year it seems on this topic.   Curiously though they only seem to go after conservative leaning websites that are quoting their articles. 

Offline ConservativeJoeG

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »
So the AP wants to charge people for posting unpaid propaganda?

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »
So the AP wants to charge people for posting unpaid propaganda?

Ive given this some thought -- Its a strange thing - all of these news outlets suddenly aren't interested in 'free press' - exposure to a wider audience, etc..

It doesn't make sense does it ?

UNLESS
one considers what happens at websites like this one, where the topic is posted, then editorialized and dissected in an environment that the publisher can't control.

News is no longer about delivering the four 'Ws' - Who, What, Where and When - its about steering opinion. And that become far more difficult where there are unauthorized opinions regurgitated by search engines, tying the original story and inappropriate thinking together.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
UNLESS one considers what happens at websites like this one, where the topic is posted, then editorialized and dissected in an environment that the publisher can't control.

News is no longer about delivering the four 'Ws' - Who, What, Where and When - its about steering opinion. And that become far more difficult where there are unauthorized opinions regurgitated by search engines, tying the original story and inappropriate thinking together.

You would be correct.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »
You would be correct.

It's sad isn't it ? Really - What I posted above should be considered tin-foil kookery, but its not. And thats just wrong.

I would go so far as to label it wrongiddy-wrong.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »
Associated Press Chairman Signs Up For Righthaven, Begins Suing Bloggers

Remember back when the Associated Press threatened bloggers for quoting snippets of AP articles? Is the organization considering dipping its toes in the Righthaven waters? The Las Vegas Sun reports that Righthaven has signed up Media News as a client and has sued a blogger on behalf of the Denver Post, after the blogger apparently reposted a Denver Post column by Mike Rosen (with a link and credit).
techdirt

Please be careful when linking to AP stories.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 02:15:27 PM »
techdirt

Please be careful when linking to AP stories.

Thanks for the heads up! I may stop posting AP stories period.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »
I'll post a headline from them, but that's about it.  I've been tyring to avoid using them as a source if I can help it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Hayrolling

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Podcaster
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 11:36:26 PM »
Sounds like the Drive by media is not liking that conservatives are using their news stories against them.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »
Found it:

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=13296

When I was a mod at CU, I was in constant battle with Megimoo. He regularly posted AP stuff and after warnings that he ignored I just deleted them. He use to get pretty upset but hey, the rules are the rules.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Doubleplusungood

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:37 AM »
So what is AP gonna do when everyone in the world stops reading their stories?   ::)

That is already SOP for myself. I do encourage them to alienate what is left of their audience as even the commies get pissed off at being sued for fair use of an article. AP has obviously not learned anything from the Righthaven debacle.

Offline JLO

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
So what is AP gonna do when everyone in the world stops reading their stories?   ::)

My memories tell me that the world SENT local news stories to AP and then they distributed via teletype to ALL channels of news.  Am I dis-remembering?  They can't possibly have AP news folks in every locale in the world.  I call BS on their claims to own every news story in the world.   :hammer:

Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
I'll cite any source on the web for purposes of journalism and criticism, staying within the legal confines of fair use doctrine that protects my right to do just that. I've seen this happen again and again over the past 18 years, and more often than not it's politically driven. Anytime a media dinosaur like AP threatens to crush right-of-center entities under their progressive jackboots, they count on people running scared. They threaten lawsuits that have no legal basis in fact, while trashing our first amendment rights in the process. You can cite any article you find on the web, so long as you use 10% or less of that article in way of introduction, and so long as you provide a link to the legal copyright holder's website where the article appears. That's what you can do legally, and ***k AP if they don't like it.       
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:34:11 PM by ranger75 »

Offline BlondeMoment

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »
My memories tell me that the world SENT local news stories to AP and then they distributed via teletype to ALL channels of news.  Am I dis-remembering?  They can't possibly have AP news folks in every locale in the world.  I call BS on their claims to own every news story in the world.   :hammer:

I don't think so (that your remembrance is incorrect), JLO. There were 2 organizations; Associated Press & United Press International. Both were pretty big. I don't remember seeing UPI lately. Maybe AP bought them out.

Back in the late 80s or early 90s, it became common practice that if Hearst (specifically, grrr) couldn't beat the circulation of other local print media, they just bought them out & put all their garbage in place of the better publication.
Journalism is a dirty business.
As a matter of fact, I *am* a "white wing bigot". I only enjoy venison. And fish. Lots and lots and lots of fish.