Author Topic: A.P. Cracks Down on Unpaid Use of Articles on Web  (Read 50832 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
A.P. Cracks Down on Unpaid Use of Articles on Web
« on: July 25, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »
Taking a new hard line that news articles should not turn up on search engines and Web sites without permission, The Associated Press said Thursday that it would add software to each article that shows what limits apply to the rights to use it, and that notifies The A.P. about how the article is used.

Tom Curley, The A.P.’s president and chief executive, said the company’s position was that even minimal use of a news article online required a licensing agreement with the news organization that produced it. In an interview, he specifically cited references that include a headline and a link to an article, a standard practice of search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo, news aggregators and blogs.

Asked if that stance went further than The A.P. had gone before, he said, “That’s right.” The company envisions a campaign that goes far beyond The A.P., a nonprofit corporation. It wants the 1,400 American newspapers that own the company to join the effort and use its software.

“If someone can build multibillion-dollar businesses out of keywords, we can build multihundred-million businesses out of headlines, and we’re going to do that,” Mr. Curley said. The goal, he said, was not to have less use of the news articles, but to be paid for any use. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/business/media/24content.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: A.P. Cracks Down on Unpaid Use of Articles on Web
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »
The newsprint industry, as well as the broadcast networks news operations are circling the drain, so they decide to attempt to wring a few more nickles out of a lousy product......

Great move.....best of luck.......

As if there are not millions of web sources for news besides AP.........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline seabelle

• "she walked into the cave...she was not afraid"
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:31:37 PM »
AP has been circling the drain for years, not to mention deep in Obama's pockets.  Doesn't CU ban using these articles?  Not that I blame them.

I won't use them anymore, they depend too much on smacking down conservatives with too many "sources say" credit to legitimize their, uhm, journalism.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »
AP has been circling the drain for years, not to mention deep in Obama's pockets.  Doesn't CU ban using these articles?  Not that I blame them.

I won't use them anymore, they depend too much on smacking down conservatives with too many "sources say" credit to legitimize their, uhm, journalism.
I'm pretty sure the mods and admins at FR enforce a non-AP policy.  Don't know about CU.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline seabelle

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 01:21:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure the mods and admins at FR enforce a non-AP policy.  Don't know about CU.

Found it:

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=13296

Offline djones520

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »

Yeah, CU does as well.  I personally feel we should here.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:33:57 PM »
Taking a new hard line that news articles should not turn up on search engines and Web sites without permission, The Associated Press said Thursday that it would add software to each article that shows what limits apply to the rights to use it, and that notifies The A.P. about how the article is used...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/business/media/24content.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

I wonder how that software will affect "Screencapping" the damned article, for when Winston Smith and the rest of the Ø-Bots are busy disappearing articles which aren't sufficiently fellating of Teh Ø.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 02:39:21 PM »
What if the Associated Press is the only source of a story?

Anybody have any idea if it would be okay to just post the AP link, and the one posting it gave a three- or four-sentence, in his own words, what's at the link?

Example:

link

The news article describes a seance at the White House in which President 0bama gets spooked by the late Golda Meir, Prime Minister of Israel, who berates him for being so stupid.

What if it was originally an AP article, but the link is to google, not AP?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »
What if the Associated Press is the only source of a story?

Anybody have any idea if it would be okay to just post the AP link, and the one posting it gave a three- or four-sentence, in his own words, what's at the link?

Example:

What if it was originally an AP article, but the link is to google, not AP?
I think that even the link will be a problem, although if it is from another news site e.g. Fox or whatever, it may be different.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »
From the article...
Tom Curley, The A.P.’s president and chief executive, said the company’s position was that even minimal use of a news article online required a licensing agreement with the news organization that produced it. In an interview, he specifically cited references that include a headline and a link to an article, a standard practice of search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo, news aggregators and blogs
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline djones520

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »
So what is AP gonna do when everyone in the world stops reading their stories?   ::)
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »
According to Mr. Curley, they're not proposing a new rule yet, they're just "identifying the problem".

I'm sure the solution will be equally brilliant.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 03:05:03 PM »
Breitbart and Fox are good sources for news.  And there's always World Net Daily. :-)

I got a good look at Breitbart.com.  It has a news aggregator that allows you to exclude the Associated Press by listing articles by wire service (AFP, UPI, Reuters).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 05:02:34 PM by Chris »

Offline seabelle

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
I like Newser too:

http://www.newser.com/

You get photos, videos and a 3 paragraph summary with a link to the source.  If you register, you can comment without filling out a form every time you post a comment plus earn points for just reading (clicking on) an article.  It's a news site for competitive news junkies  :drool:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
Dear Al-AP,

Nice going if your goal is to try to make yourself even MORE irrelevant.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »
Okay, just to be safe, I plan to avoid all Associated Press articles, period.

However, I'm mystified at the idea that AP objects even to mere links; it doesn't make sense, as links bring more traffic to the AP stories.

In Lincoln some years ago--the very early 1990s--the local television station (CBS) demanded payment by the television cable company, because the cable company carried the station.  This dragged on and on, and for a while the cable company threatened to drop the Lincoln station from its line-up.

I could not understand this, because by carrying the Lincoln station, the cable company was widening and increasing viewership of the Lincoln station.

In fact, if anybody should be charging anybody, I thought the cable company should charge the Lincoln station, for bringing to it increased traffic.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 02:22:48 AM »
No matter what AP thinks, there are still "fair use" laws.

I think what they were most concerned about in the start of all this was online "newspapers" that were publishing entire AP articles with license.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »
I do not think the AP is a reliable source of information when it comes to politics.  Read this Propaganda Piece from the AP, about healthcare "myths".

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 09:22:18 PM »
I do not think the AP is a reliable source of information when it comes to politics.  Read this Propaganda Piece from the AP, about healthcare "myths".

I came across that when it was published and almost brought it over here.  Talk about your shameless whoring and water-carrying for the Democratic Party.  Vomit-inducing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
I came across that when it was published and almost brought it over here.  Talk about your shameless whoring and water-carrying for the Democratic Party.  Vomit-inducing.

I looked, but didn't see an 0Bama or Gibbs byline to the article, but it wouldn't have been much different if they had written it. It sounded like it came straight from the White House.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »
I looked, but didn't see an 0Bama or Gibbs byline to the article, but it wouldn't have been much different if they had written it. It sounded like it came straight from the White House.

It probably did.  Winston Smith should sue the hell out of 'em for not properly attributing the article.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »
**** AP, and the horse they rode in on. http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,33228.0.html

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
After AP put 11 reporters to fact check Palin's book and 2 reporters to fact check the 400+page Health care bill.....well they pretty much lost all claim to legitimacy.

Offline FUBO

• Official FUBO Czar
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • No New Taxers!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
Yeah, the newsprint industry is just insuring that they won't survive in the new internet world of news. People will just rely on fox, drudge, and new places like brietbart and WND.

FUBO - Mr. President
Conservative T-Shirts

Offline maverickguy

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Sometimes you dont have to like it, you just have
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »
The newsprint industry, as well as the broadcast networks news operations are circling the drain, so they decide to attempt to wring a few more nickles out of a lousy product......

Great move.....best of luck.......

As if there are not millions of web sources for news besides AP.........

doc

Exactly. Overpaid anchors on the 6oclock news will be dinosaurs in a few years. Every night they cover one shooting, one accident, the weather and sports <yawn>. They try to look pretty Most of them dont) and read a teleprompter...wow...now thats journalism!!!!!
http://AmericasNewsNow.com
News By You, For You
Register and Start Posting Today!