Author Topic: eTaxes Galore in North Carolina  (Read 2550 times)

Offline NateRiver

• Probationary (Probie)
eTaxes Galore in North Carolina
« on: July 03, 2009, 01:53:40 AM »
Running out of places to raise taxes, NC proposes tax hikes on Internet transactions that would require out of state retailers to collect taxes on NC consumers. Retailers are fighting back citing a Supreme Court ruling which states it violates the interstate commerce clause of the constitution.
eTax NC

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: eTaxes Galore in North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:01:45 AM »
Not news for anyone that's ever lived in North Carolina.  It's like a mini-Massachusetts.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 06:44:44 AM »
It seems that most states are hurting for revenue and looking for new ways to raise taxes.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »
Not news for anyone that's ever lived in North Carolina.  It's like a mini-Massachusetts.

Given all the inbred yankee liberals that have moved down there to screw over the banking industry, hardly surprising.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 11:20:05 AM »
Given all the inbred yankee liberals that have moved down there to screw over the banking industry, hardly surprising.

Cary, NC: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 12:48:46 PM »
Running out of places to raise taxes, NC proposes tax hikes on Internet transactions that would require out of state retailers to collect taxes on NC consumers. Retailers are fighting back citing a Supreme Court ruling which states it violates the interstate commerce clause of the constitution.
eTax NC

Have no fear; the S.C. has shot this down so many times I do not know why the state is wasting money in legal fees pursing this. As a former sales tax auditor, the law is simple. In order for interstate sales to be considered taxable there has to be nexus. In other words, the retailer has to have an office or a salesman that travels into the state or delivers the product in their own vehicle or the state has to incur some type of liability. I think TN won a decision where a retailer was sending large catalogues into the state and the S.C. ruled in their favor because of the cost of disposal in a land fill. Unless the state can show a connection as described above, they will lose the suit. All the crying about the state needing additional income will not do them any good.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »
Why in the world can't states start trimming budgets instead of looking for ways to raise more money in taxes........ :banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »
Why in the world can't states start trimming budgets instead of looking for ways to raise more money in taxes........ :banghead:
It's not "progressive" enough.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 06:39:22 AM »

It's not spending problems we're having it's revenue problems............................actual NC State Senator
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 07:46:49 AM »
Bev, like all Dems, has never seen a tax she couldn't get behind.  I'm glad to be out of Southern Taxachusetts.

Speaking of behinds, I'm waiting to see if hers gets caught up in the Easley doings.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 07:57:43 AM »
It's not spending problems we're having it's revenue problems............................actual NC State Senator

Please tell me that person wasn't a Republican...of course, even that wouldn't shock me anymore.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 08:17:03 AM »
Because they believe they can spend your money better that you can.  It's for your own good.
 :banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 08:20:44 AM »
And yet they wonder why the TEA parties are getting larger and larger.

Who is John Galt?