Author Topic: Boehner said "climate bill is a pile of s--t!"  (Read 1903 times)

Offline 5412

Boehner said "climate bill is a pile of s--t!"
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »
Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) had a few choice words about House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) landmark climate-change bill after its passage Friday.

When asked why he read portions of the cap-and-trade bill on the floor Friday night, Boehner told The Hill, "Hey, people deserve to know what's in this pile of s--t."

Using his privilege as leader to speak for an unlimited time on the House floor, Boehner spent an hour reading from the 1200-plus page bill that was amended 20 hours before the lower chamber voted 219-212 to approve it.

Eight Republicans voted with Democrats to pass the bill; 44 House Democrats voted against it.

Pelosi's office declined to comment on Boehner's jab. But one Democratic aide quipped, "What do you expect from a guy who thinks global warming is caused by cow manure?"

Even though Sen. Majorty Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) holds the bill's fate in his hands, House Republicans intend to hammer Speaker Pelosi's signature climate-change measure over recess.

(MORE)

added link, edited for fair use -- Chris
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:32:08 AM by Thor »

Offline Happy Fun Ball

Re: Boehner said "climate bill is a pile of s--t!"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
How many trees were cut down in order to print out all those pages in that bill anyway?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:32:58 AM by Thor »

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:23:51 PM »
How many trees were cut down in order to print out all those pages in that bill anyway?

Not sure, but I'll bet every Senator got at least one copy.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:33:17 AM by Thor »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:30:33 AM »
1200 pages of legalese.  I flat out don't believe that our congress people actually bother reading such massive bills, which means that they are voting on legislation that they have not fully reviewed.  Who decided that this was a good idea  :banghead:

The entire foundation of our government is only about 20 typed pages. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:33:33 AM by Thor »

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: Boehner said climate bill is a pile of s--t!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
1200 pages of legalese.  I flat out don't believe that our congress people actually bother reading such massive bills, which means that they are voting on legislation that they have not fully reviewed.  Who decided that this was a good idea  :banghead:

The entire foundation of our government is only about 20 typed pages.  

Good point! Why is it our laws are progressively getting to be so much lawyer talk the American citizen without a law degree can no longer understand them?

How is it our law makers don't even bother to read all of the crap added into the original legislation?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 07:46:43 PM »
Good point! Why is it our laws are progressively getting to be so much lawyer talk the American citizen without a law degree can no longer understand them?

How is it our law makers don't even bother to read all of the crap added into the original legislation?

I seriously believe that laws are written this way to be open to interpretation. That way they can fit anything they want and claim it was covered under the law.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:33:46 AM by Thor »

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »
I seriously believe that laws are written this way to be open to interpretation. That way they can fit anything they want and claim it was covered under the law.

You got it! The way they write them, our new supreme, SoYaDon'tLikeIt, will be able to defend herself!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:32:31 AM by Thor »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!