Author Topic: NASCAR would be open to more foreign involvement  (Read 1150 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
NASCAR would be open to more foreign involvement
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
I can hear the howls of disgust already . . . I'm only including three paragraphs of this, as it's only six paragraphs long.

NASCAR would be open to more foreign involvement

By David Caraviello, NASCAR.COM
June 14, 2009
03:49 PM EDT

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- As domestic manufacturers pull back on their racing programs because of bankruptcies and falling automotive sales, might NASCAR look to more foreign carmakers to fill the gap?

Series chairman Brian France hinted Sunday at Michigan International Speedway that it might be a possibility, and that very preliminary discussions with certain carmakers have been held to that effect. Toyota is currently the only non-American-based manufacturer competing in NASCAR, although the models used in competition are made in the United States.

"We have been talking to people off and on for a long time," France said. "These are decisions in terms of a new manufacture joining the sport that would take a long time to evaluate and actually enter, so that's not something we turn the light switch on and that would happen. But we are the preeminent place in North America for car manufacturers to build their business with an auto racing group. We remain that. And clearly there are some companies that are going to look at opportunities that may not have been there in the past that may be there in the future."

The rest is at:

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/06/14/post.race.cup.nascar.open.to.foreign.manufacturers/index.html

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: NASCAR would be open to more foreign involvement
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:34:07 AM »
Considering GM is already pulling their support out of the Nationwide and Truck series, gee, I wonder why.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
Lesseee here.  NASCAR fans are 99.999999999999999% conservative.  GM is now P0N3D by the gubmint.  Uncle Eg0 owns the gubmint (or at least acts like he does).  Yeah, NASCAR won't see much sponsorship from GM in the future.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »
It's already been announced.  I heard it on the TNT broadcast before the race yesterday.

Then again, Ford and Dodge already did it.

LINK
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford