Author Topic: Kansas City Royals defeated by the only team not afraid of America's team  (Read 1013 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.ohio.com/sports/indians/47497312.html

Oh my.  The Cleveland Indians, historically the only professional baseball team in America not intimidated by the New York Yankees:

Grand slam by DeRosa powers Indians past Royals
None of four runs in sixth scores on a hit

CLEVELAND: A DeRosa by any other name usually does not spell S-L-A-M.

But that was before Tuesday night at Progressive Field, when Mark DeRosa saved the game by hitting a grand slam in the seventh inning to snap a 4-4 tie and trigger the Indians' 8-4 win over the Kansas City Royals.

The Tribe, as usual, had a fitful time dealing with Royals starter Brian Bannister, and Cliff Lee was just vulnerable enough to give up four runs and 11 hits in six innings.

But Bannister was gone by the time the Indians loaded the bases in the seventh on an infield hit, a walk and a hit batter. It looked like the makings of a pseudo rally constructed of fool's gold, with no ball leaving the infield.

Royals manager Trey Hillman changed pitchers, anyway, calling in right-hander Jamey Wright to replace right-hander Juan Cruz. Then DeRosa changed the look of the threat by launching a fly ball that cleared the right-field fence for his fifth career slam and his first since Aug. 6, 2008, when, he was a member of the Chicago Cubs and he hit one against the Houston Astros.

''He threw me two cutters,'' DeRosa said. ''The first one was a little up. I said to myself, 'Don't try to kill the ball. Just try to get the guy in from third.' I knew I got enough of it to get over his head, but I wasn't taking anything for granted. I was full go out of the box.''

Indians manager Eric Wedge appreciates DeRosa on several levels.....
apres moi, le deluge