Author Topic: Republicans stirring for 2012  (Read 1220 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Republicans stirring for 2012
« on: June 04, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/03/AR2009060303492_pf.html

Oh my.

I'm still at this point for John Boehner (R-Ohio) or Eric Cantor (R-Virginia), but we'll see how things play out.

Prominent Republicans' Moves Scrutinized for Clues to 2012 Bids
As Activity Heats Up, Party Seeks Powerful Leaders

Little more than four months into President Obama's first term, potential Republican rivals have begun to stir, taking preliminary steps toward 2012 presidential campaigns aimed at rejuvenating a party that has found itself at its lowest point in a generation.

Twice this week, the political community has seized on signs of activity among prospective GOP presidential candidates. On Monday, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney delivered a speech at the Heritage Foundation, where he slammed Obama for having taken what he called a foreign "tour of apology" this year. Romney ran unsuccessfully for his party's nomination in 2008, and his speech was seen as a forceful expression of interest in another bid.

The next day, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty announced that he will not seek reelection next year, voluntarily leaving after his second term. Pawlenty was runner-up to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin in Sen. John McCain's 2008 vice presidential sweepstakes, and his move was interpreted as a step toward a possible 2012 presidential run, freed from the responsibilities of managing a state while campaigning full time for more than two years.

A third Republican governor, Mississippi's Haley Barbour, has scheduled appearances in New Hampshire and Iowa for later this month. Barbour, a former party chairman, will help raise money for Republicans on his forays to the two states at the front of the presidential nomination calendar. But as one of the canniest politicians in the Republican Party, Barbour knows that landing in either of those states, let alone both, will stoke speculation about his interest in 2012 as well.

And when former House speaker Newt Gingrich (Ga.) tried yesterday to roll back his accusation that Obama's Supreme Court nominee, Judge Sonia Sotomayor, was a racist, that, too, was taken as a sign of his desire to shed baggage should he decide to seek the nomination......
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Republicans stirring for 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
Just give us someone who will fight to WIN, instead of a limpdick DINO.  Someone who actually stands aggressively for at least some actual Social Conservative values, and I could give a rat's ass about his or her religion.  Not someone who treats the Social Conservatives like the Dems treat the Black churches, which is all we got with McCain.  Not another loser whose commitment to Conservatism starts and ends with fiscal issues and a modestly-better grip on national security issues.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:26:21 AM »
The whole thing about the GOP is that they have abandoned their base in search of more "moderate" positions. I think that if they returned to their base, they MIGHT have a chance. However, I don't feel that will happen. It will take a third party to come to power that just might return the GOP to it's roots.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:58:34 AM »
The whole thing about the GOP is that they have abandoned their base in search of more "moderate" positions. I think that if they returned to their base, they MIGHT have a chance. However, I don't feel that will happen. It will take a third party to come to power that just might return the GOP to it's roots.

I don't think that's in the cards, unless the party is actually broken up it will still be bigger than any foreseeable Conservative third party.  But, what might do it is a third party making such a strong showing that the GOP ends up losing so many votes to them that it gets slaughtered in the election.  Both the third party and the GOP will lose since the right-of-center vote will be deeply split, but only that will bring home to them just how pissed off Conservatives are with their moderate bullshit.  The only other chance they have is for the Dems to split first, but that will do nothing to reform the GOP, it will only give them a temporary turn at the helm.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
Glenn Beck had a chart a few weeks ago showing how people were bailing from both the GOP AND the Dem parties. It showed that an "Independent" party was growing and had overtaken both the GOP and the Dems. I tried to look for the chart, but to no avail. It was eye-opening. If these Independents could come together, they would have the strongest political party in the US.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline 5412

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:03:47 PM »
Glenn Beck had a chart a few weeks ago showing how people were bailing from both the GOP AND the Dem parties. It showed that an "Independent" party was growing and had overtaken both the GOP and the Dems. I tried to look for the chart, but to no avail. It was eye-opening. If these Independents could come together, they would have the strongest political party in the US.

Hi,

He mentioned that again last night in Kansas City.  It brought a roar from the crows to say the least.  I think that is something neither political party gets; particularly when it comes to the tea parties.  The public is really angry, it seems and feels much different this time too.

regards,

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »
I think another real reason for the "Independent" twist is the absolute disgust most Americans have for Congress, politicians in general, their PACs, and the labels that go with the territory.

Calling oneself an "Independent" puts one above the riff-raff, so to speak. It's much more honorable to be associated with a political force that isn't defined by political party labels.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 05:40:44 PM »
I heard either over the weekend, or on Glenn Beck this morning that the Republicans were gearing up to campaign on "Democrat SCANDALS" for the 2010 election cycle - which of course is beginning any day now.

JEEZUS H KEE-RIST!!!! Don't they hear how sick of this shit the general public is?!?!  It's no wonder the Ø-conomy is in the shape we're in; we've got a friggin' batch of children in DC who think they run it.  "I'm telling!!! Mommmmm, daaaaaaaad; Charlie isn't paying his taxes, an' he said somethin' BAAAAAD to meee!!  How come Barry's got more than I got?!?!"

:banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.