Author Topic: Bryce Harper punches his ticket to Cooperstown at age 16  (Read 2076 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Bryce Harper punches his ticket to Cooperstown at age 16
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
I found this on Yahoo! Sports.

Bryce Harper punches his ticket to Cooperstown at age 16

By 'Duk

I have no idea if there's a difference in pressure between having every baseball wonk following you around at age 16 and having every sports fan in the country learn your name, but I suppose Bryce Harper will soon be able to tell us.

Following in its grand tradition of predicting can't miss future superstars like Schea Cotton and Tamir Goodman, Sports Illustrated is using the cover of this week's magazine to tout the 16-year-old Las Vegas resident as "the most exciting prodigy since LeBron."

Writes SI's Tom Verducci:

"Still only 16, Harper stands 6'3", weighs 205 pounds, has faster bat speed than Mark McGwire in his prime and runs so fast that he scored on wild pitches six times this season from second base. As a catcher he picks off runners from his knees, and when he pitches, he throws a fastball that has been clocked at 96 mph.

"When James was 16, he was a high school sophomore with an NBA game and a body to match. Harper has been compared to Justin Upton(notes), Alex Rodriguez(notes) and Ken Griffey Jr.(notes), each a freakishly advanced high school player and each the top overall pick of his draft. But Harper, say the baseball men who are paid to make such assessments, has the ability as a sophomore that the aforementioned trio had as seniors."

Whether or not Harper will eventually save SI from the limb it just walked out on remains to be seen, but it should be said that Harper certainly believes he can.

He then goes on to state his goals.  Hint:  Think pinstripes . . .  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Bryce-Harper-punches-his-ticket-to-Cooperstown-a?urn=mlb,167844
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Re: Bryce Harper punches his ticket to Cooperstown at age 16
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 05:39:50 AM »
And now he's quit high school . . .

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:13 pm EDT

Why I mostly support Bryce Harper's decision to skip high school
By 'Duk

When big Bryce Harper made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks ago, I knew we'd soon again be hearing from the 16-year-old 'chosen one.'

But not quite this soon.

On Sunday, the sophomore from Las Vegas found his way into national headlines again when his father announced that Bryce will forgo his final two years of high school and use a GED to enroll in a community college this August. Though it more or less makes a mockery of our education system, the Harpers' plan would make Bryce eligible for the 2010 draft, where he could conceivably be the Nationals' No. 1 pick and eventually join forces with Stephen Strasburg to save Washington baseball from itself.

It's a controversial decision, to be sure, but Ron Harper says he and his son are prepared to hear from the inevitable haters.

The rest is at:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-I-mostly-support-Bryce-Harper-s-decision-to-?urn=mlb,170270
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »
Welcome to the future Todd Marinovich.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »
Todd, Lawrence Phillips, Ryan Leaf, Mark Prior, Sebastian Telfair, Ki-Jana Carter, Tony Mandarich...take your pick.

Great--kid is gonna be a cripple, broke, AND unemployable/uneducated.  Whee!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:44:27 AM »
Todd, Lawrence Phillips, Ryan Leaf, Mark Prior, Sebastian Telfair, Ki-Jana Carter, Tony Mandarich...take your pick.

Great--kid is gonna be a cripple, broke, AND unemployable/uneducated.  Whee!

The best part will be that he wants to be a Yankee!

Chase her.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:18:32 AM »
The best part will be that he wants to be a Yankee!

Yeah, all that money the Bankees spent in the off season for Sabathia, Burnett, and Texeira worked out so well, didn't it?  And how much did they pay Wang back in the day?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:48:02 AM »
Yeah, all that money the Bankees spent in the off season for Sabathia, Burnett, and Texeira worked out so well, didn't it?  And how much did they pay Wang back in the day?

A fair amount . . . and the Skankees lost to the MLB-worst Washington Nationals last night.  I think Wang pitched, too.

ETA:  He did, and got the loss . . . but lowered his ERA to 12.65 . . .

Chase her.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:56:15 AM »
Speaking of busts, I hear Ryan Leaf got nailed in WA over the weekend for burglary.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »
Speaking of busts, I hear Ryan Leaf got nailed in WA over the weekend for burglary.

Actually, he was indicted in Texas and turned himself in in WA...