Author Topic: 2008 Baseball season  (Read 38889 times)

Offline formerlurker

Re: 2008 Baseball season
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 06:01:19 AM »
World Champion Red Sox -- repeat.

I'm sorry, but I have to do this:   :bird:

This one is much better --

I live for smack talk, so let the Red Sox haters unite -- Red Sox are going to have a sweet ass season. 

Hey sis!  Remember how pissed off I was when Schill re-uped with the Sawks before we got a chance to offer him a contract?  I'm not quite so upset anymore.  :-)

I think the Red Sox were only expecting to get 1/2 a season out of him anyway.  As long as he is there to bring the young pups along, it is ok.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 06:02:26 AM »

They won't even win the AL East.   :-)

Yeah cause the Yankees, O's and Jays are looking really really fierce this year.

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 06:50:08 AM »

Yeah cause the Yankees, O's and Jays are looking really really fierce this year.

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

Gloat all you want now but we will see who is still playing in October...won't be the Dead Sux.   Dream on. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 07:07:04 AM »

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

Gloat all you want now but we will see who is still playing in October...won't be the Dead Sux.   Dream on. 

Uh, Dead Sux?   Are you kidding me right now?     

World.Champion.Red.Sox.  <------ come on, you can say it.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 07:41:15 AM »
Ahhh History...it seldom repeats itself.  The Dead Sux will be home watching the Tigers and the Yankees battling it out for the AL Championship this October.   :lmao:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 08:06:56 AM »
Ahhh History...it seldom repeats itself.  The Dead Sux will be home watching the Tigers and the Yankees battling it out for the AL Championship this October.   :lmao:

2004, 2007 -- at least we are on the right track.

The Yankees?  with their pitching staff? 

Uh-huh.   

The kittens have a good team this year.   The Yankees I have absolutely no worries over. 

World.Champion.Red.Sox.

Do tell who your team is so I can giggle.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »
Is anyone on the Yankees staff gonna have an ERA below 5-point-something without the benefit of an ass-full of HGH?  Just wonderin'.   :uhsure:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »
Is anyone on the Yankees staff gonna have an ERA below 5-point-something without the benefit of an ass-full of HGH?  Just wonderin'.   :uhsure:

:lmao:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »

Not even close.  Watch the Yanks punk them in the East.

But my Angels, now that's gonna be fun.  I just hope the front office mans up and gives K-Rod the contract he wants, or something close.  You do NOT let a guy with 4 consecutive 40-save seasons get away.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »

I live for smack talk, so let the Red Sox haters unite -- Red Sox are going to have a sweet ass season. 

Not when your rookies get raked because the opposing batters have figured them out.

Dice-K got lucky in getting as many wins as he did last year.  Look at his monthly ERA--started at under 3, but was almost 8 in September, and wasn't much better in October.

Okajima is gonna be in for a LONG year if his shoulder doesn't improve because the load ain't getting any lighter.  And Bucholtz?  Puhleez.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 08:57:40 AM »

Not when your rookies get raked because the opposing batters have figured them out.

Dice-K got lucky in getting as many wins as he did last year.  Look at his monthly ERA--started at under 3, but was almost 8 in September, and wasn't much better in October.

Okajima is gonna be in for a LONG year if his shoulder doesn't improve because the load ain't getting any lighter.  And Bucholtz?  Puhleez.

Come on Sparky, you know Dice-K is going to be just fine. 

Bucholtz is going to be starting right after Beckett by the All Star Break he is going to be that damn good.  We will get a solid 16-17 wins out of Lester easy.   

And Oki?  give the kid a break, we leaned on him too much.   He also is going to be just fine. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 09:03:11 AM »

Not even close.  Watch the Yanks punk them in the East.

But my Angels, now that's gonna be fun.  I just hope the front office mans up and gives K-Rod the contract he wants, or something close.  You do NOT let a guy with 4 consecutive 40-save seasons get away.

Who choked in the playoffs.........

You are high if you think the Yankees are taking the East.  You live in NE now, time to start reading the NY rags to keep up to speed. 

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 11:41:09 AM »
I can't help but think we Braves fans are just going to be let down again, even with Tom Glavine back with us.  :bawl:

Jesus.... Glavine's still playing? With or without the walker??  :-)
:rotf:

Seriously... I remember watching in the early 90s Glavin, Smoltz, Steve Avery.... the Braves were the shit back then, but I can't imagine him still playing now.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 11:44:01 AM »
I can't help but think we Braves fans are just going to be let down again, even with Tom Glavine back with us.  :bawl:

Seriously... I remember watching in the early 90s Glavin, Smoltz, Steve Avery.... the Braves were the shit back then, but I can't imagine him still playing now.

Yes indeed, Glavine and Smoltz both still play and will be anchoring the Braves staff this year.  Grover Alexander and Cy Young will be competing for spots on their roster as well.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:46:56 AM by Red October »

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »

Yes indeed, Glavine and Smoltz both still play and will be anchoring the Braves staff this year. 

20 years.... 20 years with the same team too. Admirable, but still.... how long are they gonna go on? Don't they got some fresh blood in Richmond or Mississipi they can use on the mound?

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 11:50:06 AM »

Bucholtz is going to be starting right after Beckett by the All Star Break he is going to be that damn good.  We will get a solid 16-17 wins out of Lester easy.   

And Oki?  give the kid a break, we leaned on him too much.   He also is going to be just fine. 

Yeah...just like Hideo Nomo, Fernando Valenzuela, and Chan-Ho Park turned out "just fine".

BTW--one of them has a great deal of notoriety in MLB history--he's the only player to give up TWO grand slams in the same inning--TO THE SAME BATTER.  I'll leave it to you to figure out who, and name the batter.

Again, look at Dice K's stats before the All-Star Break, then after.  VERY different, and very telling.  Oh, and don't think the offense is always going to be there when he gives up five runs on ONE HIT in ONE-THIRD of an inning.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »
You are high if you think the Yankees are taking the East.  You live in NE now, time to start reading the NY rags to keep up to speed. 

**** New York.  They may not have Torre to beat around anymore, but they're still the Angels' bitch.

Oh, and thanks for ****ing up the Freeway Series this year.

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »
And another thing.... even though I pretty much loathe the CUbs, I can't wait to see a game just to hear the announcers call out their new right fielder.  :-)

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2008, 03:55:57 PM »

Yeah...just like Hideo Nomo, Fernando Valenzuela, and Chan-Ho Park turned out "just fine".

BTW--one of them has a great deal of notoriety in MLB history--he's the only player to give up TWO grand slams in the same inning--TO THE SAME BATTER.  I'll leave it to you to figure out who, and name the batter.

Again, look at Dice K's stats before the All-Star Break, then after.  VERY different, and very telling.  Oh, and don't think the offense is always going to be there when he gives up five runs on ONE HIT in ONE-THIRD of an inning.

Dice-K spent his offseason working on 3 pitches.  Schill has him under control.  Talk to me in July and we will compare his stats.

He will be fine.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »

**** New York.  They may not have Torre to beat around anymore, but they're still the Angels' bitch.

Oh, and thanks for ******* up the Freeway Series this year.

All the Angels need to do is keep beating the Yankees (everyone else will too so it shouldn't be a problem for y'all).

Red Sox vs Dodgers in the WS.   Red Sox in 7.

World.Champion.Red.Sox.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2008, 05:20:31 PM »
Being an NL fan, I naturally pay more attention to the NL . . . but, looking at what the various AL teams have done to themselves this year, I'd hafta say that the Tigers look pretty tough.  Adding Dontrelle Willis to a rotation that has Jeremy Bonderman and Nate Robertson in it is going to be a really powerful punch.  The Red Sox . . . well, they're going to fight the Yankees tooth-and-nail for the division, but I really don't remember anyone mentioning what the Mariners have done wioth their rotation, in adding Carlos Silva (marginal) and Erik Bedard (outstanding).  They will run with the "Los Angeles Angels in Anaheim" for the division crown. 

As for the NL . . . the Dodgers signing Hiroki Kuroda should be interesting.  Barry Zito will continue to be a mediocre pitcher in SF.  The Diamondbacks should win the NL West, with Brandon Webb, Dan Haren, and Randy Johnson at the top of their rotation, but they'll have to fight the Padres off all season.  The Central . . . I'd hafta go out and say the Cubs, only because they won it last year.  The NL East . . . Mets, Braves, and Phillthies, with the Nats almost knocking the Phillthies out of 3rd.  Even with Myers in the rotation (supposedly, his ERA when he started last year was closer to 10 than 5), and Moyer collecting Social Security, how many innings have the rookies pitched in a single season?  Has Kendrick pitched over, say, 165 innings in one season?

Carlos Beltran will be borne out (in his prediction).  Oh--did Jimmy Rollins copyright the "We're the team to beat" statement?  You'd think so, by his reaction.

Yeah, Johan pitches only one in five games, but his clubhouse presence, coupled with Pedro for a full season, will speak volumes.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2008, 08:37:28 PM »
The NL East . . . Mets, Braves, and Phillthies, with the Nats almost knocking the Phillthies out of 3rd.  Even with Myers in the rotation (supposedly, his ERA when he started last year was closer to 10 than 5), and Moyer collecting Social Security, how many innings have the rookies pitched in a single season?  Has Kendrick pitched over, say, 165 innings in one season?

Carlos Beltran will be borne out (in his prediction).  Oh--did Jimmy Rollins copyright the "We're the team to beat" statement?  You'd think so, by his reaction.

You're nuts if you think Atlanta will top us and the Nuts will keep up with us.  Talk about social security, their best pitchers are either older than dirt or hurt all the time.  Chipper's in his twilight, Andruw is gone, they traded away Langerhans (???).  Uh-uh.  The Braves can't **** wit us. 

And don't worry about Kendrick... he picked up 10 wins in half a season.  121 innings.  Not bad for a guy who came up from AA ball.  You should worry about how manny innings Petey Martini will throw.  He seems to suffer some injury or another every time the Phils kick his ass.  "I just gave up six runs in the first inning...OW, MY CALF!  AYE CARAMBA!"   :rotf: 

And what's this terrible reaction from Rollins you're talking about?  We're just amused by Carlos' imitation, that's all. 

Don't sing it.  Bring it.   :evillaugh:

Offline Taxman

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »

All the Angels need to do is keep beating the Yankees (everyone else will too so it shouldn't be a problem for y'all).

World.Champion.Red.Sox.

About as likely as Ron Paul being elected president in November. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »

World.Champion.Red.Sox.

About as likely as Ron Paul being elected president in November. 

Because?.......

Still waiting to hear who your team is.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »
The Tigers.  They are going to be tough, but it is a long way until October so I am not going to make any predictions.  I think they have a good chance at making the Playoffs and will likely be going against the Yankees or Angels.  I think the wildcard will come from the AL Central.