Author Topic: 2008 Baseball season  (Read 38709 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: 2008 Baseball season
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
In other news, the Braves' bullpen woes just got more pronounced.

04/10/2008 4:45 PM ET
Moylan in the mix to close
Australian righty could get save chances while Soriano is out

DENVER -- With closer Rafael Soriano going on the disabled list before Wednesday's game with the Rockies, manager Bobby Cox is reluctant to designate any specific pitcher as the closer in Soriano's absence.
Cox indicated he'd "play it by ear," seeing no reason to put any pressure on a given pitcher when he has plenty of options to choose from depending on game situations.

Two of the top contenders for ninth-inning action are Peter Moylan and Manny Acosta. Both have excelled in relief roles for the Braves, with 2.23 and 2.28 respective career ERAs. Moylan has an edge of an extra year and 74 more appearances than Acosta, who made his big league debut in 2007 while Moylan was posting a 1.80 ERA in his sophomore season, making 80 appearances and earning a 5-3 record with one save.

"It doesn't matter to me whether it's the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth or ninth inning," Moylan said of a potential shift in his bullpen role. "I'm still going to do what I do. I'm trying to get guys out. It's exactly the same. It doesn't matter if we're up by 10 or up by one or down by one."

The rest is at:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080410&content_id=2512325&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

:sosad:

Not having a designated closer is not news to Braves fans.  Other than a couple of flash in the pan closers, we've never had a "closer".

I seem to remember some guy . . . what was his name?  Oh yeah--Smoltz . . . racking up 150 saves in 3, maybe 4 years, not that long ago?  He wasn't a "closer?" :o
Believe it or not, I tend to forget Smoltz as a closer.  I always think further back than that.  My thoughts always go to Rocker, Wohlers, and the likes.  As a Braves fan, you are conditioned to believe you have never had anyone in the bullpen.  Thanks for the correction.

Both Smoltz and Glavine will be first-ballot HOFers, as they richly deserve to be.  Maddux, too.

Methinks it's probably crossed Bobby Cox' mind to ask Smoltz to go back into the pen.  Thing is, I think Smoltz would retire.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »

DENVER -- With closer Rafael Soriano going on the disabled list before Wednesday's game with the Rockies, manager Bobby Cox is reluctant to designate any specific pitcher as the closer in Soriano's absence.
Cox indicated he'd "play it by ear," seeing no reason to put any pressure on a given pitcher when he has plenty of options to choose from depending on game situations.

Two of the top contenders for ninth-inning action are Peter Moylan and Manny Acosta. Both have excelled in relief roles for the Braves, with 2.23 and 2.28 respective career ERAs. Moylan has an edge of an extra year and 74 more appearances than Acosta, who made his big league debut in 2007 while Moylan was posting a 1.80 ERA in his sophomore season, making 80 appearances and earning a 5-3 record with one save.

"It doesn't matter to me whether it's the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth or ninth inning," Moylan said of a potential shift in his bullpen role. "I'm still going to do what I do. I'm trying to get guys out. It's exactly the same. It doesn't matter if we're up by 10 or up by one or down by one."

The rest is at:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080410&content_id=2512325&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Not having a designated closer is not news to Braves fans.  Other than a couple of flash in the pan closers, we've never had a "closer".

I seem to remember some guy . . . what was his name?  Oh yeah--Smoltz . . . racking up 150 saves in 3, maybe 4 years, not that long ago?  He wasn't a "closer?" :o
Believe it or not, I tend to forget Smoltz as a closer.  I always think further back than that.  My thoughts always go to Rocker, Wohlers, and the likes.  As a Braves fan, you are conditioned to believe you have never had anyone in the bullpen.  Thanks for the correction.

Both Smoltz and Glavine will be first-ballot HOFers, as they richly deserve to be.  Maddux, too.

Methinks it's probably crossed Bobby Cox' mind to ask Smoltz to go back into the pen.  Thing is, I think Smoltz would retire.

I wouldn't mind seeing him go back until we get the ben situated, but I don't think his shoulder can hold up to pitch nearly every game.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »

The rest is at:

I wouldn't mind seeing him go back until we get the ben situated, but I don't think his shoulder can hold up to pitch nearly every game.

Neither do I.  Hell, I'd be surprised to see him make 30 starts this season.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2008, 02:14:09 PM »

The rest is at:

Even in 30 starts, he'll have more quality starts than 90% of the league.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2008, 02:15:37 PM »

The rest is at:

No argument there.

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »

The rest is at:

No argument there.
I think we'll have a good race this year.  But niether team has wowed me yet.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2008, 08:47:56 PM »

The rest is at:

No argument there.
I think we'll have a good race this year.  But niether team has wowed me yet.

you two should get a room. :rotf:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2008, 05:39:04 PM »
Ouch!  Santana will have better games at Shea.  Running into the buzzsaw known as "Ben Sheets" was tough.

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
Ouch!  Santana will have better games at Shea.  Running into the buzzsaw known as "Ben Sheets" was tough.

it wasn't awful.  but three HRs isn't going to please the mets fanbase . . . or the NY media.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2008, 04:21:44 AM »

it wasn't awful.  but three HRs isn't going to please the mets fanbase . . . or the NY media.

Thing is, Santana is known as a slow starter.  He comes around in the second half of the season.

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »

Thing is, Santana is known as a slow starter.  He comes around in the second half of the season.

To continue on this, in '06, when Santana won the second of his Cy Youngs, his season after the ASB went 10-1 with two NDs.  I'll take that down the stretch, especially with Glavine on the sidelines after tweaking his left hammy yesterday.  Supposedly, the Braves might be in the trade market soon, with names such as Kei Igawa, Joe Blanton, and Jason Marquis being bantered around.

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!  A big hit with men on base?  Did my eyes deceive me???

Thank you Chase!   :bow: :cheersmate:

And what a play at the end by Bruntlett.  Philadelphia was getting ready to tar and feather that guy, and he saves the game with that diving stop.  We just might be able to hang in there till Rollins comes back after all. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!  A big hit with men on base?  Did my eyes deceive me???

Thank you Chase!   :bow: :cheersmate:

And what a play at the end by Bruntlett.  Philadelphia was getting ready to tar and feather that guy, and he saves the game with that diving stop.  We just might be able to hang in there till Rollins comes back after all. 

I'll take Bruntlett's twofer special any series . . .  :tongue:

Chase her.