Author Topic: 2008 Baseball season  (Read 38716 times)

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
2008 Baseball season
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
Sorry, I know the first preseason games are 7 days away, but I'm anxious for the season to start.

How does your team pan out this year? Thoughts? Predictions? Discuss.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline jendf

Re: 2008 Baseball season
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »
I'm so excited. Already have tickets to one spring training game. Will probably go to a couple more.

Go Diamondbacks!!!!  :hyper:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
Eh, typical Rangers year. Finish in the middle of the pack in the AL West at best.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
I am happy as a pig in shit that Thome my Homey is going to be back again for another season and that Ozzie is going to be back to his good ol' self of smacking around somebody when he has to, but the bullpen has got me worried. My prediction is that the Sox either get 1st, or come in a very narrow second with the Tigers above them in the AL Central. They'll make the playoffs for sure though.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 06:57:34 AM »
If the Tigers pitching can hold up they will be a force to be reckoned with.  The Indians and White Sox will be tough as well.  The Twinkies without their ace will not be as tough.  The AL Central is a heckuva division.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:50:53 AM »
For the first time since I don't even know when, I'm more excited about a Phillies season than an Eagles season.  How weird is that?  :-)

Everyone says the Mets are gonna own the NL East.  I'm not afraid of them.  Sure they've made one great addition (and spent crazy money to do it), but that's the only move they made.  The Phils improved in bullpen, rotation, and line-up.  You can't just land one big fish and think your team is complete and titles are locked... A-Rod, anyone?  It still takes a whole team, the the Phils team looks as good as anyone's.  Rowand's leaving hurt, but when you've got two MVP's (and in all likelihood, a third  :afro: ) you ain't starving.  Adding Jenkins and Feliz definatley covers Rowand.  Cole will pitch for a Cy Young.  Burrell will play for his future.  Ryan will play for a fortune.  Chase and Jimmy will play for a championship. Life is good.  Now the only question is will our new and improved bullpen will live up to expectations.  It all rides on J.C. and Brad Lidge.   :popcorn:

And I'm not all too star-struck by Santana either.  They said the Patriots couldn't be beaten, either.  "They" were wrong.

Offline Flame

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:09:27 AM »
I'm just bummed that I'm not going to get to go see the Cubs when they are playing the Nationals here in DC.  I had planned it since last fall, but now I can't go.  the WV Dance Festival is the same weekend, and I'll be in Charleston instead.  :bawl:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »
Ryan Howard's salary arbitration hearing is today.  For the love of God, I hope he wins. 

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 08:36:32 AM »
I'm just bummed that I'm not going to get to go see the Cubs when they are playing the Nationals here in DC.  I had planned it since last fall, but now I can't go.  the WV Dance Festival is the same weekend, and I'll be in Charleston instead.  :bawl:

Sorry to hear that.  Nothing beats going to the ballpark, eh?  I'm hoping I can make it the Phillies season opener against the Nuts, I mean, Nats, at CBP.  For the first time in years, we could actually win our opener!   :hyper:  :-)

Oh, and since you're a Cubbies fan, I gotta rub this in:  your catchers and pitchers aren't going to be getting in to any fist-fights this year, are they?  :tongue:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:38:20 AM by Red October »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:12:14 AM »
Sorry -- I honestly believe they are all juiced.

There is more realism and honesty in the WWE than MLB.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:24:59 AM »
Sorry -- I honestly believe they are all juiced.

There is more realism and honesty in the WWE than MLB.

Oh C'mon... :whatever:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »
GO D'BACKS
We are looking good...... :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 05:08:01 PM »
For the first time since I don't even know when, I'm more excited about a Phillies season than an Eagles season.  How weird is that?  :-)

Everyone says the Mets are gonna own the NL East.  I'm not afraid of them.  Sure they've made one great addition (and spent crazy money to do it), but that's the only move they made.  The Phils improved in bullpen, rotation, and line-up.  You can't just land one big fish and think your team is complete and titles are locked... A-Rod, anyone?  It still takes a whole team, the the Phils team looks as good as anyone's.  Rowand's leaving hurt, but when you've got two MVP's (and in all likelihood, a third  :afro: ) you ain't starving.  Adding Jenkins and Feliz definatley covers Rowand.  Cole will pitch for a Cy Young.  Burrell will play for his future.  Ryan will play for a fortune.  Chase and Jimmy will play for a championship. Life is good.  Now the only question is will our new and improved bullpen will live up to expectations.  It all rides on J.C. and Brad Lidge.   :popcorn:

And I'm not all too star-struck by Santana either.  They said the Patriots couldn't be beaten, either.  "They" were wrong.

Santana will go 22-5 this year.  The Phillies didn't really win the NL East in '07 as much as the Mets lost it.  The Mets will not let that happen this year.  Remember that the other #1 starter on the Mets, Pedro Martinez, was out for most of the season.  So, we have two #1s at the top of the rotation, then two guys who each won 15 games last year (Maine and Perez), then El Duque, who will be out for a month or two during the season, but who will win 10-11 games nonetheless.  Mike Pelfrey, who went 3-1 in September last season, and Tony Armas Jr. are the first two guys out of N'awlins to fill in the rotation.

I'm thinking the Mets' rotation will end up like this:

Johan Santana:  22-5, Cy Young
Pedro Martinez:  15-7
John Maine:  15-8
Ollie Perez:  17-10
Orlando Hernandez:  10-5

Torii Hunter said of Santana:  "He's going to absolutely dominate that league.  I don't know who's happier (with Johan going to the Mets)--Johan, the Mets, or all of the hitters in the American League who don't have to face him again."

Plus, not re-signing Aaron Rowand was a huge mistake.  His grit and attitude is going to be sorely missed, and not replicated anywhere as much by Shanve Victorino, or Pedro Feliz (who should get a decent HR number in Philly).  Remember something--the Giants didn't want Feliz back.  That should say something, and it's probably not good.

Cole Hamels will have a good year.  15-10.  But, when you're signing Anna and Kris Benson (hey, it's alphabetical) to a minor-league deal, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel where starting pitching is concerned.  The problem with Kris is that when you get him, you get her, too.  She will turn into one of the more-hated wives on the Phillies.  Brett Myers will be offering his services to Kris Benson before long.  Getting back to pitching, the big knock against Benson when he was with the Mets was that he was a flyball pitcher.  How do flyball pitchers do in Philly, anyway? 

Ryan Howard will get his 45-50 HRs, with a majority of them coming within the "friendly confines" of CBP. 

Brad Lidge . . . if the Lidge that Philly gets is the one who had the meltdown in '06, it's going to be a long season.

One more thing about the Mets bullpen--Duaner Sanchez is throwing 95 mph again.  And, Pedro Feliciano's daughter has recovered from the heart ailment that nearly killed her last year, so his head will be on the mound, as opposed to in his daughter's hospital room in the DR.

There is some indication that the Phillies are going to try to instigate a brawl with the Mets this year.

Also, there's this team in Atlanta that's going to have a say in how both the Mets and the Phill(th)ies do this year.  They've got a 300-game winner, and another starter who would have 300 if he didn't take a "side job" and get over 150 saves.  They, also, have two #1s at the top of their rotation (Smoltz and Hudson).  Mike Hampton is at 100%, but the over/under on how long that's going to continue is somewhere around 40 seconds.  Plus, the Nats didn't exactly go backwards this year, when they got LMillz.  He'll do well in the new park.

And, you said that "the Phillies improved themselves in the rotation."  Surely you don't mean Myers moving back to the rotation, do you?  I seem to remember that he was a better closer than a starter . . . and he preferred to close.  He may have to move back to that role, if Lidge works out like he did in the past . . .   
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 05:55:41 PM »
I can't help but think we Braves fans are just going to be let down again, even with Tom Glavine back with us.  :bawl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »
I can't help but think we Braves fans are just going to be let down again, even with Tom Glavine back with us.  :bawl:

Jesus.... Glavine's still playing? With or without the walker??  :-)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 06:05:01 PM »
Pinning your hopes on Brad Lidge somehow shaking off 2 years as a terrible closer after 1 decent season as an Astro is a fool's gamble. He tips pitches like crazy and can't find the strike zone most of the time.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 06:39:50 PM »

Santana will go 22-5 this year.  The Phillies didn't really win the NL East in '07 as much as the Mets lost it.  The Mets will not let that happen this year.  Remember that the other #1 starter on the Mets, Pedro Martinez, was out for most of the season.  So, we have two #1s at the top of the rotation, then two guys who each won 15 games last year (Maine and Perez), then El Duque, who will be out for a month or two during the season, but who will win 10-11 games nonetheless.  Mike Pelfrey, who went 3-1 in September last season, and Tony Armas Jr. are the first two guys out of N'awlins to fill in the rotation.

I'm thinking the Mets' rotation will end up like this:

Johan Santana:  22-5, Cy Young
Pedro Martinez:  15-7
John Maine:  15-8
Ollie Perez:  17-10
Orlando Hernandez:  10-5

Torii Hunter said of Santana:  "He's going to absolutely dominate that league.  I don't know who's happier (with Johan going to the Mets)--Johan, the Mets, or all of the hitters in the American League who don't have to face him again."

Plus, not re-signing Aaron Rowand was a huge mistake.  His grit and attitude is going to be sorely missed, and not replicated anywhere as much by Shanve Victorino, or Pedro Feliz (who should get a decent HR number in Philly).  Remember something--the Giants didn't want Feliz back.  That should say something, and it's probably not good.

Cole Hamels will have a good year.  15-10.  But, when you're signing Anna and Kris Benson (hey, it's alphabetical) to a minor-league deal, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel where starting pitching is concerned.  The problem with Kris is that when you get him, you get her, too.  She will turn into one of the more-hated wives on the Phillies.  Brett Myers will be offering his services to Kris Benson before long.  Getting back to pitching, the big knock against Benson when he was with the Mets was that he was a flyball pitcher.  How do flyball pitchers do in Philly, anyway? 

Ryan Howard will get his 45-50 HRs, with a majority of them coming within the "friendly confines" of CBP. 

Brad Lidge . . . if the Lidge that Philly gets is the one who had the meltdown in '06, it's going to be a long season.

One more thing about the Mets bullpen--Duaner Sanchez is throwing 95 mph again.  And, Pedro Feliciano's daughter has recovered from the heart ailment that nearly killed her last year, so his head will be on the mound, as opposed to in his daughter's hospital room in the DR.

There is some indication that the Phillies are going to try to instigate a brawl with the Mets this year.

Also, there's this team in Atlanta that's going to have a say in how both the Mets and the Phill(th)ies do this year.  They've got a 300-game winner, and another starter who would have 300 if he didn't take a "side job" and get over 150 saves.  They, also, have two #1s at the top of their rotation (Smoltz and Hudson).  Mike Hampton is at 100%, but the over/under on how long that's going to continue is somewhere around 40 seconds.  Plus, the Nats didn't exactly go backwards this year, when they got LMillz.  He'll do well in the new park.

And, you said that "the Phillies improved themselves in the rotation."  Surely you don't mean Myers moving back to the rotation, do you?  I seem to remember that he was a better closer than a starter . . . and he preferred to close.  He may have to move back to that role, if Lidge works out like he did in the past . . .   

Don't get me wrong, I don't take the Mets lightly.  I'm just reminding everyone that champions aren't crowned on paper.  Yes, you have two number #1's.  But we've beaten Martinez before.  He doesn't scare me.  And I fear his best years are behind him.  Cole will crack the 20 win plateau this year provided he stays healthy.  He would have done it last year if he hadn't missed a month.  Yes, we would have loved to retain Rowand, but he was a twenty homer man looking for fourty homer money.  We couldn't afford him.  He has grit and clubhouse leadership, sure.  But so does Rollins and Chase Utley.  We're not in the red at all in offense or leadership on this club.  And don't underestimate Victorino.  He's outstanding defensively.  He can flat out fly, cover tons of field, and has a rocket arm.  

Benson doesn't worry me yet, as there are five different men vying for the 5th starter position.  Benson doesn't even have it yet (another suck-ass by the name of Adam Eaton does *barf*).  And yes, the rotation reaquiring Myers does help the rotation.  He's had excellent starts ruined by a poor bullpen.  J.C., a healthy Madson and *gulp* Gordon and Lidge should correct that.  So we hope and pray, anyway  :-)  Just getting rid of Geary improves the 'pen by leaps and bounds as well.  Sure Brett would prefer closing, but he's a real pro and will be happy with life as long as we're winning.  But what I was actually referring to was Kyle Kendrick.  I think he's started enough games last year to prove he's a legitamate major leauge talent, and a damn fine one.  A full winning season from him (in addition to J.C. and his 1.92 ERA out of the 'pen), and our 4-12 stretch in April could become a 12-4 start, and turn an 89 win year into a 95+ win year.  

CBP does not "prop up" Ryan Howard.  Last year he hit 24 of his 47 home runs on the road.  He hit two in one game in the unfriendly confines of Dodger Stadium.  He's legit.   :bow:  All hail, Mr. Howard.  

There are no Phillies players trying to instigate any brawl (Phillies fans I can't vouch for.  :( )  The Mets centerfielder, however, has shown us that imitation is the finest form of flattery.   :tongue:

And Atlanta has a bit of rebuilding to do before they convince me they can hang in our division.  Embalming Tom Glavine and shoving him out there doesn't scare me, either.   :evillaugh:

In any event, I'm looking forward to a great year against a tough opponent.  This season series between us is gonna be rough.  

Oh, and just as an afterthought:  while everyone sings Johan's praises and pencils him in for a Cy Young, remember last year when Barry Zito came to the NL and was supposed to kick everyone's ass?  He set a career high, alright... his ERA.   :uhsure: :popcorn:  

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »

Jesus.... Glavine's still playing? With or without the walker??  :-)
:rotf:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »
Pinning your hopes on Brad Lidge somehow shaking off 2 years as a terrible closer after 1 decent season as an Astro is a fool's gamble. He tips pitches like crazy and can't find the strike zone most of the time.

Lidge had more than one good year.  In 04 and 05 he had 29 and 42 saves, respectively.  His ERA's those years were 1.90 and 2.29.  Even his bad 06 year he had 32 saves.  There's no reason to think he can't possibly be any good in Philadelphia.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
World Champion Red Sox -- repeat.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »

Lidge had more than one good year.  In 04 and 05 he had 29 and 42 saves, respectively.  His ERA's those years were 1.90 and 2.29.  Even his bad 06 year he had 32 saves.  There's no reason to think he can't possibly be any good in Philadelphia.

He was demoted to a MRP with a ERA of 3.36 in 2007 too. I'd call that a "bad year". He is going to serve up meat up until about late April when he becomes a situational arm.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »

I'm sorry, but I have to do this:   :bird:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »

This one is much better --

I live for smack talk, so let the Red Sox haters unite -- Red Sox are going to have a sweet ass season. 

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »

This one is much better --

I live for smack talk, so let the Red Sox haters unite -- Red Sox are going to have a sweet ass season. 

Hey sis!  Remember how pissed off I was when Schill re-uped with the Sawks before we got a chance to offer him a contract?  I'm not quite so upset anymore.  :-)

Offline Taxman

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 07:55:54 PM »

They won't even win the AL East.   :-)