Author Topic: I think Fidel is dead (and I agree)  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
I think Fidel is dead (and I agree)
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »
OMG!!!!! I thought the same thing, when I heard he "stepped down".:thatsright:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2890837
Husb2Sparkly  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-19-08 03:44 PM
Original message
I think Fidel is dead
 Advertisements [?]We heard today, more than a year after he took ill, that he's resigning as Cuba's president, in favor of his brother, Raúl Castro Ruz.

The last I recall seeing him in any way, shape or form was when Hugo Chavez went calling.

Cuba is, in many ways, like OZ, with one guy behind a curtain playing his Great Wurlitzer.

I think the curtain is there and someone is, indeed, fingering the keys. But it isn't Fidel and hasn't been for a while. My guess is he died a few days ago and the remaining powers that be are working toward a gentle, perhaps lengthy, change in power.

That was a hell of a run, Fidel. Love you or hate you, 49 years is quite a run, indeed.

Refresh | 0 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

JoDog (456 posts)      Tue Feb-19-08 04:03 PM
Response to Original message
6. You bring up a good point
 Castro probably wouldn't be giving up power if it wasn't something serious. He isn't the type to retire to the country and spend time with his family. It's highly possible that his health has taken a turn for the worse, he is on life support, or he is dead.

Having him "step down" like this would make incredible sense in any of those scenarios. By having his brother take power now, there is less chance of a power struggle or uprising when Castro's demise is announced. There will be no power vacuum, no sudden shift in power. Whether or not Fidel dies and when become irrelevant. The transfer of power has already happened. Here's the new boss, same as the old boss.
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

They pretty much all agree, and so do I.  If he's not dead, he's at least mentally incapacitated (more so than usual).

I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Lord Undies

Re: I think Fidel is dead (and I agree)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »
If everything is so holy and good in Cuba, why this need to fool all the people all the time?  What are the Castroites afraid of?  People don't revolt in paradise.  In paradise, there is no need to be sneaky and deceitful.  The citizens of paradise will accept whatever comes along and then get back to sipping their pina coladas under the palm trees and lying out in the sun on their cashmere beach towels.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »
OR just maybe with the selection of the new leader upcoming this weekend he may decide since he hasn't really run the place in a year and a half now there's no sense letting Bro be called Interim Dictator-for-life anymore. ;)

An easy transition will keep the floaties on the beach.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
Warpy  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-19-08 03:55 PM
3. His cancer doesn't have a great prognosis
 even with the best medical technology money can buy.

I'm a little surprised he's hung on this long, to tell the truth.

And 49 years in that country really is a hell of a run. He had to have done something right.

LOL Well, when you're ruling an island-country, have all the right guns and all the right prisons and have no elections, at least no real ones, it makes it a little easier. :whatever:

There's a lot of DUmmies that would have no problem with a dictatorship right here in the U.S. of A., as
long as El Presidente For Life gave them a few shitty social services they wanted.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »
If everything is so holy and good in Cuba, why this need to fool all the people all the time?  What are the Castroites afraid of?  People don't revolt in paradise.  In paradise, there is no need to be sneaky and deceitful.  The citizens of paradise will accept whatever comes along and then get back to sipping their pina coladas under the palm trees and lying out in the sun on their cashmere beach towels.

If that were true, we'd be seeing him in his casket by now.  But in the real world, he's just "stepped down".
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 06:31:09 PM »
What a bunch of idiots.  Standing offer of $100 bills to any moonbat that renounces USA citzenship and heads to cuba.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Georgia Bulldog

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 12:00:46 AM »
If only they would take the offer, but alas it's not meant to be
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile -- hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
1874-1965, British Statesman, Prime Minister

The Democrats say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith. My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view.

Ronald Reagan
40th US President, 1911-2004

Offline Lauri

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »

I figure people are secretly happy that he's dead or close enough to it ... I just wish they were educated enough to know they had the power to revolt. It would be bloody, no doubt... but they could take their beautiful island back and start down the road to a free society for a change..

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »
Warpy  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-19-08 03:55 PM
3. His cancer doesn't have a great prognosis
 even with the best medical technology money can buy.

I'm a little surprised he's hung on this long, to tell the truth.

And 49 years in that country really is a hell of a run. He had to have done something right.

LOL Well, when you're ruling an island-country, have all the right guns and all the right prisons and have no elections, at least no real ones, it makes it a little easier. :whatever:

don't forget, he gets around 100% of the vote each and every time.

why dont we see that in other countries? why dont the Dummies get that NOBODY wins elections with those kinds of numbers...? they need to look around the world and see how it works... nobody, and i mean nobody, gets 90-100% of the vote each and every election.. for fifty damn years  :mental:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 07:40:14 PM »

I figure people are secretly happy that he's dead or close enough to it ... I just wish they were educated enough to know they had the power to revolt. It would be bloody, no doubt... but they could take their beautiful island back and start down the road to a free society for a change..

The real paradox his brother faces is that no one cares about his brother's death.  A "state" funeral will be a huge embarrassment.  

The Brother Castro can force his captive audience (the pathetic people of Cuba) to pretend to mourn Fidel's passing, but the international cast of characters who would bother to attend some formal farewell would be a  testament to everything ever reported about the man.   It is a no-win situation for Raul.    

Offline Lauri

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »

The real paradox his brother faces is that no one cares about his brother's death.  A "state" funeral will be a huge embarrassment.  

The Brother Castro can force his captive audience (the pathetic people of Cuba) to pretend to mourn Fidel's passing, but the international cast of characters who would bother to attend some formal farewell would be a  testament to everything ever reported about the man.   It is a no-win situation for Raul.    

Raul will be interesting to watch.. I am curious to see if he lets go of the power, should the people want "change" like they are hearing so much in America...

As for Fidel's state funeral.. I'm assuming half of Hollywood will be there.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 07:52:10 PM »

It's worse than that.
27 October 2006
Otto Reich, who served in the American government as assistant secretary of state for the Western Hemisphere, then in the National Security Council, has suddenly become convinced that Fidel Castro is dying of stomach cancer. He writes in the National Review about what made up his mind: "This time the rumors are real: Castro is dying of stomach cancer. He may have already died, even before the funeral preparations were finished, so the news is not out. Confirmation of the terminal illness comes from the usual sources but in a non-conventional manner. The Cuban government has been summoning to Havana representatives of the major international media to negotiate the best seats, camera angles, and interviews with the despot's political survivors, and to inform them of the ground rules for coverage of the state funeral.

"The foreign media are being told that the model for Castro's funeral is that of Pope John Paul II a year ago.
The Cubans actually believe - or pretend - that the death of a tyrant deserves the same attention as that of the world's great men of peace."

http://pondblog.blogspot.com/2006_10_22_pondblog_archive.html

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »
That is what I mean.  No matter what.  It is going to be an embarrassment. 

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 08:05:53 PM »
Michael Moore: Bring Castro To Oscars

Controversial documentary filmmaker Michael Moore says that Fidel Castro would be a "ratings grabber" at Sunday night's Academy Awards show.
http://www.wjno.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=244038&article=3307431

Maybe Moore will have to pull a Weekend at Bernie's move this Sunday.
 :rotf:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
That is what I mean.  No matter what.  It is going to be an embarrassment. 

If the handjob the MSM was giving him over his mere resignation is any indication...embarrassment will be an understatement.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lauri

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 08:59:30 PM »

It's worse than that.
27 October 2006
Otto Reich, who served in the American government as assistant secretary of state for the Western Hemisphere, then in the National Security Council, has suddenly become convinced that Fidel Castro is dying of stomach cancer. He writes in the National Review about what made up his mind: "This time the rumors are real: Castro is dying of stomach cancer. He may have already died, even before the funeral preparations were finished, so the news is not out. Confirmation of the terminal illness comes from the usual sources but in a non-conventional manner. The Cuban government has been summoning to Havana representatives of the major international media to negotiate the best seats, camera angles, and interviews with the despot's political survivors, and to inform them of the ground rules for coverage of the state funeral.

"The foreign media are being told that the model for Castro's funeral is that of Pope John Paul II a year ago.
The Cubans actually believe - or pretend - that the death of a tyrant deserves the same attention as that of the world's great men of peace."

http://pondblog.blogspot.com/2006_10_22_pondblog_archive.html

geeze, are they even going to announce that he's dead yet?? that's creepy...

as for who will show up? if any actual world leaders show up besides Chavez and Cindy Sheehan, I'll be suprised.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 09:06:14 PM »

This just in...Francisco Franco is still dead.  :rotf:

as for who will show up? if any actual world leaders show up besides Chavez and Cindy Sheehan, I'll be suprised.

You know Jimmuh will be there...along with other Communist politicians from the U.S. Bernie Sanders...Sheila Jackson-Lee...Cynthia McKinney et. al.

And Danny Glover and Harry Belafante will lead the Hollyweird delegation.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:08:05 PM by TheSarge »

Offline Lauri

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »

This just in...Francisco Franco is still dead.  :rotf:

You know Jimmuh will be there...along with other Communist politicians from the U.S. Bernie Sanders...Sheila Jackson-Lee...Cynthia McKinney et. al.

And Danny Glover and Harry Belafante will lead the Hollyweird delegation.

if any of our politicians travel there, I hope their passports are revoked.

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 09:18:01 PM »

The real paradox his brother faces is that no one cares about his brother's death.  A "state" funeral will be a huge embarrassment.   

The Brother Castro can force his captive audience (the pathetic people of Cuba) to pretend to mourn Fidel's passing, but the international cast of characters who would bother to attend some formal farewell would be a  testament to everything ever reported about the man.   It is a no-win situation for Raul.   

alot of south american leaders would probably show up, hes seen as a hero by some, since he "stood up" to the US...
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »

if any of our politicians travel there, I hope their passports are revoked.

Protocol will demand that at the very least the SecState or VPOTUS will attend the Funeral.

But as far as other elected officials form the U.S. that come to pander to the memory of Fidel...I agree with you.