Author Topic: The PC Squad probes conservative talk radio  (Read 841 times)

Offline gcruse

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Smells like ... I dunno. Ham.
The PC Squad probes conservative talk radio
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/46270177.html
By: Examiner Editorial
-
05/27/09 5:53 PM EDT

It’s received little attention amid House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accusing the CIA of lying, military provocations by the megalomaniacs running Iran and North Korea, and President Obama’s nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court. But the frontline in the war being waged by the Left against the First Amendment rights of millions of Americans shifted to the Federal Communications Commission this week. Michael J. Copps, the FCC’s acting chairman, has opened an investigation of radio ratings firm Arbitron. Why? Because Arbitron dared to change the way it measures the audiences listening to individual radio stations, and then reported the results without consideration of their politically incorrect implications.
Briefly, Arbitron for years measured radio audiences by giving people notebooks in which they recorded the stations they were listening to for specified periods. Arbitron recently concluded that the notebooks weren’t as accurate as would be a new high-tech device that listeners strapped to their belts. The device – dubbed the Portable People Meter (PPM) – automatically detected and recorded the stations being selected. Among other things, Arbitron found that the Talk Radio audience was bigger than previously thought, while the audiences for hip hop, urban rock and other minority-owned stations was smaller. Audience size determines how much individual radio stations can charge for advertising, so Arbitron’s ratings are the Holy Grail of the industry.

One might think that politicians would cheer Arbitron’s effort to make its measurements more accurate. But, no, upset by the politically incorrect implications of the new data, Attorneys General Andrew Cuomo in New York and Anne Milgram in New Jersey sued last fall, alleging discrimination. The bias comes in who Arbitron selects to use the PPM, according to Cuomo and Milgram. Since hip hop and urban rock listeners are more likely to have only cell phones, Arbitron’s system, which relies on respondents with landlines, is inherently discriminatory. This week, Copps officially opened a federal investigation of PPM for the same reason. Arbitron could be forced to pay millions of dollars in “restitution” to minority station owners, and the FCC could ban PPM entirely.

[...]

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: The PC Squad probes conservative talk radio
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »
OH FOR ****'S SAKE!!!!!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

In the coming zombie apocalypse, I want these pansy-assed assholes posed for rifle fire.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 11:56:33 AM »
Only the complacent can be bullied.  It is time for the station owners who want to shove back, which I imagine is quite a number, to send their "license" back to Washington with the message they no longer feel compelled to be governed by the FCC.  Since we are living in a time when picking and choosing the laws to live by is the new freedom, they no longer choose the FCC.

The idea that the public owns the airways is a ridiculous notion in this age of broadcasting.  The only thing the public owns is the off switch to their appliance.  

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:11:06 AM »
Ever since Obama got elected I have been listening to more Hannity and Limbaugh. Glenn Beck is king for me. And for **** sakes, why the crack down??????????????????????????  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
This really doesn't matter much.  The great 0 will have the government owning most of the means of communication soon anyway. 

What amazes me is that the cable networks are so interested in the shrinking part of the market. 
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!