Author Topic: More insane anti-South hatred at the DUmp  (Read 9005 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
More insane anti-South hatred at the DUmp
« on: May 24, 2009, 12:17:18 PM »
Mr. Ected  (1000+ posts)  Fri May-22-09 04:13 PM
Original message

Meg White: Why Obama Should Give Neo-Confederate Bigots What They Want This Memorial Day

http://blog.buzzflash.com/analysis/773

Ever since Woodrow Wilson's administration, American presidents have been honoring a group with racist and secessionist undertones, which is influenced by religious extremism. This Memorial Day, President Barack Obama will have the choice to either break with this shameful tradition or continue it.

My advice to him is this: Keep it going.

Presidents have consistently sent a wreath to a monument in Arlington National Cemetery honoring the Confederate side of the Civil War every year for decades. In recent years, this has taken place on Memorial Day, though in the past, presidents have favored the June birthday of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. The monument goes further than just honoring dead soldiers, however. The language inscribed upon it glorifies the ideals of the Confederacy itself, and detractors say it is used as an excuse to embrace racism and neo-Confederate ideology.

There is a movement brewing to encourage Obama to stop legitimizing neo-Confederates by refusing to send the obligatory wreath to the monument. The effort is led by a group of thoughtful scholars influenced by good intentions. While I agree that it is morally reprehensible to honor the deaths of those who killed their own brothers in an effort to destroy our country, I respectfully disagree with their interpretation of the reality of the situation facing our president.

<snip>

My humble suggestions:

Send the wreath for the fundamentalist religious zealots, but make gay marriage legal and never again invite the intolerant Rick Warren to pray over the country.

Send the wreath for the flag-waving ditto-heads, but give every veteran PTSD screening and lend support to a truth commission to find out how we got into the Iraq war.

Send the wreath for the backwards racists, but give the country fair immigration reform and stop neo-redlining and other discriminatory practices in lending.

In other words, let the bigots have their pomp and circumstance, but whistling Dixie is not the change I voted for.

They hold grudges longer than muslims do

I think a good definition of "insane" is: taking up a position that was (a) settled almost 100 years ago, (b) goes against a tradition observed by every President since Wilson, and (c) involves an issue that they don't have a personal stake in.

DU just plain hates the South. Now that Obama is in the White House, notice how it's suddenly OK over there to trash the South. Notice how no Southerners call them on it anymore.

In this day and age, when you can walk into a mall in South Carolina that has the same Sunglass Hut, Victoria's Secret, and Cinnabon as they have in Philadelphia, and when a meal at an Atlanta Macaroni Grill is exactly the same as the one they serve in Chicago, and when you can work in an office in Birmingham and not be shocked to hear a shitty Boston accent, DUmmies STILL think there is something substantially different about the South. Idiots.

Raineyb  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)       Fri May-22-09 08:29 PM
Response to Original message
11. There's an article full of bad advice.

Not for nothing but they lost the war right? WTF should any president do any damn thing to honor these treasonous bastards. This coddling is part of the reason why the clueless neo-confederates are under the impression that what they're backing is in no way nasty or evil.

Hugabear  (1000+ posts)     Fri May-22-09 09:59 PM
14. I say dig those traitorous corpses out of the ground, send them back to the South

Why in god's name should we be honoring these ****ing traitors in our nation's most sacred cemetery?

chimpymustgo  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)       Fri May-22-09 04:16 PM
1. Disagree. End the treasonous tradition now.

Sigh. Depressing, the stupidity and hatred over there. The irony, of course, is that the "enlightened" ones at DU tend to live in filthy hovels under conditions pretty much equivalent to the white trash they ridicule in the South, and their minds are equally closed.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: More insane anti-South hatred at the DUmp
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »
H5! I love this part of your comments the best. Especially as a Southerner who has to put up with this nonsense.

I think a good definition of "insane" is: taking up a position that was (a) settled almost 100 years ago, (b) goes against a tradition observed by every President since Wilson, and (c) involves an issue that they don't have a personal stake in.

DU just plain hates the South. Now that Obama is in the White House, notice how it's suddenly OK over there to trash the South. Notice how no Southerners call them on it anymore.

In this day and age, when you can walk into a mall in South Carolina that has the same Sunglass Hut, Victoria's Secret, and Cinnabon as they have in Philadelphia, and when a meal at an Atlanta Macaroni Grill is exactly the same as the one they serve in Chicago, and when you can work in an office in Birmingham and not be shocked to hear a shitty Boston accent, DUmmies STILL think there is something substantially different about the South. Idiots.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »
The irony, of course, is that the "enlightened" ones at DU tend to live in filthy hovels under conditions pretty much equivalent to the white trash they ridicule in the South.....

I take it, sir, you've been to Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, New York City, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Columbus, Cincinnati, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and all these other big cities dominated by corrupt Republican party machines?

I've noticed exactly the same thing.

If I had to make a choice, I'd sooner live in the poorest county in the south, than in the richest neighborhood in Boston.  It's a matter of cleanliness and health; I wouldn't want to catch anything, and besides, my Nebraska nostrils resent bad odors.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »
Hugabear  (1000+ posts)     Fri May-22-09 09:59 PM
14. I say dig those traitorous corpses out of the ground, send them back to the South

Why in god's name should we be honoring these ****ing traitors in our nation's most sacred cemetery?
Hey DUmbass. Arlington is in the South. :loser:
Are the DUmmies even aware that the Mason Dixon is also known as the Maryland/Pennsylvania line?
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:12:21 PM »
Hey DUmbass. Arlington is in the South. :loser:
Are the DUmmies even aware that the Mason Dixon is also known as the Maryland/Pennsylvania line?

Naaah . . . Remember, the DUmmies are products of the publik skool systm.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »
Hugabear  (1000+ posts)     Fri May-22-09 09:59 PM

You didn't study Geography much in Jr High did you DUmmie?

The Mason-Dixon line...the geographical point that separates the North from the South...is NORTH of D.C.....in MARYLAND!!!!!

Why in god's name should we be honoring these ******* traitors in our nation's most sacred cemetery?

First off they were NOT traitors.  Secondly at least they had the balls to fight and die for what they believed in.

Unlike 99.9% of teh DUmp.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »
I was bewildered as a child, angry in my youth, and now amused in my saged age about how non-southerners (the poor souls) judges our modern southern culture, especially when it pertains to black folk and white folk.  I could write an essay about how a growing mutual respect between us was partially destroyed by know-nothing liberal radicals who did not like the peaceful co-existence we enjoyed.  It was a social work in progress, for sure, but it was completely positive.

When I was a child I was in awe of the black folk.  I really never saw any of them around until the weekends when leisure time took over the work week.  They were always dressed to the nines and looked so classy.  I had a completely different idea about social rank.     

Offline Lanie

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:27:47 PM »
The damn Civil War was NOT about ending slavery. Honest Abe admitted it. He was willing to use keeping slavery or ending it to preserve the union. He admitted that too. He personally was against slavery, but he would have sold every slave down the drain to Tpreserve the union. The first Emancipation Proclamation only freed the slaves of Confederate states. Slavery in Union states was still legal. Slaves would escape to the Union states, and people didn't know what to do with them. They sometimes were sent back home. How's that for favoring the freedom of slaves? Ending slavery did become a useful tool idea for preserving the Union as former slaves became soldiers for the Union, but that was NOT why the Civil War was started.

Meanwhile, did you know that there were blacks who fought on the Confederate side? I'm not making that up. It's true.

I do think slavery played a big role in things because everytime there was a state acquired that became slave, they had to get a state that was free and vice versa. This would have to be settled at some point. However, the big issue was whether federal government should have a right to force the states to do things (and I would agree that states should have no say on the slavery subject because it's just wrong). Federalism vs. Anti-federalism was a big issue since the start of the country. There probably would have been a war with or without slavery because of this.

Oh, and I learned most of that from liberal professors.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
The damn Civil War was NOT about ending slavery. Honest Abe admitted it. He was willing to use keeping slavery or ending it to preserve the union. He admitted that too. He personally was against slavery, but he would have sold every slave down the drain to Tpreserve the union. The first Emancipation Proclamation only freed the slaves of Confederate states. Slavery in Union states was still legal. Slaves would escape to the Union states, and people didn't know what to do with them. They sometimes were sent back home. How's that for favoring the freedom of slaves? Ending slavery did become a useful tool idea for preserving the Union as former slaves became soldiers for the Union, but that was NOT why the Civil War was started.

Meanwhile, did you know that there were blacks who fought on the Confederate side? I'm not making that up. It's true.

I do think slavery played a big role in things because everytime there was a state acquired that became slave, they had to get a state that was free and vice versa. This would have to be settled at some point. However, the big issue was whether federal government should have a right to force the states to do things (and I would agree that states should have no say on the slavery subject because it's just wrong). Federalism vs. Anti-federalism was a big issue since the start of the country. There probably would have been a war with or without slavery because of this.

And one last thing. The North could not have been that much against slavery since their companies benefited from it.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »

I think I learned that in third grade.  What the hell were they teaching you northerners? 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »
And one last thing. The North could not have been that much against slavery since their companies benefited from it.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter anymore.  Our real racist enemies are the ones who want it to matter forever.  That would be modern American liberals (like your professors).

It was a black co-worker who once told me he gets down on his knees and thanks the Lord above for slavery.  If it hadn't been for those ancient events, he wouldn't be the co-owner of an accounting firm in one of the most dynamic cities in the greatest country the world had ever known - the United States of America.  He said he would probably be one of those kids in Africa with flies sticking to him in the UNICEF commercials.

It's ok to try to put yourself in the place of others.  It's a totally different thing to rob them of their dignity to make yourself feel useful.   I learned that in Jr. high.

:-*

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »

You really want to blow some DUmmie minds start talking about all the blacks in the south that were slave owners. An interesting one to look up is William Ellison. He was one of the wealthier people in South Carolina where he manufactured cotton gins. He was born a slave, gained his freedom and eventually became one of the larger slave owners and breeders in the area.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 07:51:51 PM »
You really want to blow some DUmmie minds start talking about all the blacks in the south that were slave owners. An interesting one to look up is William Ellison. He was one of the wealthier people in South Carolina where he manufactured cotton gins. He was born a slave, gained his freedom and eventually became one of the larger slave owners and breeders in the area.

I had forgotten that one!  It also blows the little liberal peabrain to powder when you tell them the first female self-made millionaire of the 20th century was a black.  I can't think of her name now.  She was a textile giant.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »

When I was in 8th grade history class (1977-1978)  it was still admitted that the Civil War was about economics of the north exploiting the south,not slavery.
It doesn`t change the reality that slavery was an evil and ridding ourselves of it was a good thing but the facts are facts.

A h5 for posting honesty as a somewhat liberal person too.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
I had forgotten that one!  It also blows the little liberal peabrain to powder when you tell them the first female self-made millionaire of the 20th century was a black.  I can't think of her name now.  She was a textile giant.
Someone sent me an email a while back that listed out some of the most famous/prominent people in the world today. They were all black. Funny how that works....DUmmies don't pay attention though.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »

What a load of horse excrement.

The FF's built a sunset clause into the Constitution in an attempt to curb slavery.

And despite what your friends at the DUmp will try to tell you about the "3/4ths Clause"...that was an attempt to blunt the attempt by Southern Slave owners to use their slaves to influence the make up of Congress.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »
There was Madam C.J. Walker that had a cosmetics/skin care line.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 09:32:59 PM »
You really want to blow some DUmmie minds start talking about all the blacks in the south that were slave owners.

Even better...point out that the Cherokee Indians held slaves until the Government forced them onto the reservation in Oklahoma.

To this day the Cherokee Nation refuses to allow the descendants of Cherokees who had children with black slaves to claim their Indian heritage and add their names to the Indian Rolls.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 09:41:31 PM »
Someone sent me an email a while back that listed out some of the most famous/prominent people in the world today. They were all black. Funny how that works....DUmmies don't pay attention though.

Yes, funny how that is.  The facts are most of us who don't have the last name of "King George" have a history of a sorry past.  My family were mostly indians (of the native sort).  I have a great x4 or x5 grandmother who was half black.  I'm as white as a snowman. 

Grandma, give me some of those pigments.....please!  I burn easily. 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
There was Madam C.J. Walker that had a cosmetics/skin care line.

Thanks.  I don't know why I was thinking it was textiles.  Maybe it's my southern conservative bigotry which lead me to believe it had to be something which constitutes manual labor. 

:lmao:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »
^LOL! Yeah, we're tri-colored here too but I look like snow white. My brother on the other hand....people used to ask my mom why she adopted a little brown kid.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 03:45:50 PM »
I think I learned that in third grade.  What the hell were they teaching you northerners? 

I'm from the south. My history classes before college were pretty much nothing but stuff from the pov of the
victor regarding American wars. So naturally, most Civil War stuff was taught from the pov of the Union.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
Ultimately, it doesn't matter anymore.  Our real racist enemies are the ones who want it to matter forever.  That would be modern American liberals (like your professors).

It was a black co-worker who once told me he gets down on his knees and thanks the Lord above for slavery.  If it hadn't been for those ancient events, he wouldn't be the co-owner of an accounting firm in one of the most dynamic cities in the greatest country the world had ever known - the United States of America.  He said he would probably be one of those kids in Africa with flies sticking to him in the UNICEF commercials.

It's ok to try to put yourself in the place of others.  It's a totally different thing to rob them of their dignity to make yourself feel useful.   I learned that in Jr. high.

:-*

All "Thank America for slavery" BS aside, why are my liberal professors still the bad guys? They're the ones who told us stuff about the Civil War that general education classes did not, including things on the southern side of the Civil War. I read writings from the POV of southern women during the Civil War in my Women's History class. I didn't read that in regular school. Why are liberal professors still the bad guys here?

Offline Lanie

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
When I was in 8th grade history class (1977-1978)  it was still admitted that the Civil War was about economics of the north exploiting the south,not slavery.
It doesn`t change the reality that slavery was an evil and ridding ourselves of it was a good thing but the facts are facts.

A h5 for posting honesty as a somewhat liberal person too.

I think in 11th Grade my teacher admitted it was about Federal Rights vs. State's rights. That's the most honesty I got out of regular classes on that subject. I agree a war to end slavery is just. I just don't agree that this was ultimately about slavery.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 03:57:25 PM »
I'm from the south. My history classes before college were pretty much nothing but stuff from the pov of the
victor regarding American wars. So naturally, most Civil War stuff was taught from the pov of the Union.

That POV stuff is why I'm glad I was educated in an era when all that mattered were the facts.  I was educated by folks who gave information instead of opinion.