Author Topic: Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists'  (Read 1009 times)

Offline thundley4

Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists'
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:38:27 AM »
SAN DIEGO – Six months ago, Jim Wiseman didn't even have a spare nutrition bar in his kitchen cabinet.
Now, the 54-year-old businessman and father of five has a backup generator, a water filter, a grain mill and a 4-foot-tall pile of emergency food tucked in his home in the expensive San Diego suburb of La Jolla.
Wiseman isn't alone. Emergency supply retailers and military surplus stores nationwide have seen business boom in the past few months as an increasing number of Americans spooked by the economy rush to stock up on gear that was once the domain of hardcore survivalists.
These people snapping up everything from water purification tablets to thermal blankets shatter the survivalist stereotype: they are mostly urban professionals with mortgages, SUVs, solid jobs and a twinge of embarrassment about their newfound hobby.
From teachers to real estate agents, these budding emergency gurus say the dismal economy has made them prepare for financial collapse as if it were an oncoming Category 5 hurricane. They worry about rampant inflation, runs on banks, bare grocery shelves and widespread power failures that could make taps run dry.
Link

This helps put the lie to the lefts argument that it is just gun nuts stocking up on weapons and ammo.  They may not mention it in the article but the accompanying picture tells the story.

I don't believe this is caused by uncertainty on of the economy alone, but a deeper fear of where this administration and certain state governments are heading.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists'
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:57:31 PM »
Woah....I'm about to start shopping for things of that sort...but I'm gearing up for Hurricane Season..and this year's predictions are not perty....

Offline 5412

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »
Link

This helps put the lie to the lefts argument that it is just gun nuts stocking up on weapons and ammo.  They may not mention it in the article but the accompanying picture tells the story.

I don't believe this is caused by uncertainty on of the economy alone, but a deeper fear of where this administration and certain state governments are heading.

Hi,

That same article was in our suburban paper today as well.  Funny but I bought a water purification kit, plus tablets earlier this year.  As an aside, if one has to take water from a pond and purify it for drinking there is still a risk of many viruses.  They say use water purification tablets, or a touch of iodine in the water before you run it through the purifier to be sure.  We have a small lake behind our home and the water would work but you never know what kind of viruses it might be harboring.......lots of stuff like alligators, turtles, birds etc. live there.

We always stock up on food in FL during hurricane season, then, if we do not need it, donate it to the food bank at Christmas time.  As far as ammunition goes, I spent a good bit of money buying reloading equipment and supplies, as well.  I wanted enough to not only protect my family, but also hunt for food if the food supply is interrupted for a long period of time.  Problem is one can stock up on food, but there is a certain portion of the population that will not.....and they will be banging on your door demanding that you "share".  Ain't gonna happen in my neighborhood, all my neighbors feel the same way.

Not only do you want the ability to survive with food, plus the ability to protect yourself as anarchy could indeed reign, better have some "junk silver" as that likely will be the only means of barter that will work well.  As a friend of mine said, take a one ounce gold piece to the store, might be worth $5,000 by then, buy your food and what are they gonna give you for change?????  Yeah, worthless government paper.

I showed the article to my wife, and more than anything, it validated that the things we have been quietly doing may not be quite so silly after all.  I happen to believe it is better to have a contingency plan in a folder that has been well thought out, even if nothing happens, it beats not being prepared at all when things hit the fan.  I hope I never have to pull the folder out of the file and review the plan once again.

I have a cousin who lives on a farm that his father owned since the 1930's.  I said to him that if it hit the fan he could still live off the land.  His comment to me was that was not possible.  The urban area had grown so that the crops he grew would be stolen in a minute unless he spent 24/7 guarding them....and even then he was not so sure.  That is why he also has a cabin in the mountains that butts up to government land that is heavily populated with wild life.  If you have farm land, better be many miles from a large population area or you will not be able to protect it.

God, hope it does not come to that but to me, it is a real possibility.

regards,

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »
@#$%ing zombie hordes!

They won't be taking this fluffy little cottontail without a fight!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."