Author Topic: Treacle Pudding  (Read 3128 times)

Offline morningAngel

Treacle Pudding
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »
Ingredients

1 tablespoon black treacle
3 tablespoons golden syrup
6 oz  flour
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
6 oz  butter, softened
3 large eggs
6 oz  soft light brown sugar

To serve:

3 extra tablespoons golden syrup
custard or crème fraîche

You will also need a 2 pint  pudding basin, well buttered, a large mixing bowl, greaseproof paper and foil measuring 16 in by 12 in  some string and scissors.

First of all butter the basin, then measure 3 tablespoons of golden syrup into it. Then take a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and baking powder into it, add the softened butter, eggs, sugar and black treacle. Next, using an electric hand whisk (or a large fork and lots of elbow grease), beat the mixture for about 2 minutes until it's thoroughly blended. Now spoon the mixture into the basin and level the top using the back of the tablespoon.

Place the sheet of foil over the greaseproof paper, make a pleat in the centre, and place this, foil-side uppermost, on top of the pudding. Pull it down the sides and tie the string, taking the string over the top and tying it on the other side to make yourself a handle for lifting. Trim off the excess paper all the way round. Now steam the pudding for 2 hours, checking the water level halfway through.

To serve, loosen the pudding all round using a palette knife, invert it on to a warmed plate, and pour an extra 3 tablespoons of syrup (warmed if you like) over the top before taking it to the table. Serve with custard or some well chilled crème fraîche.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
Re: Treacle Pudding
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 08:56:35 PM »
Oooooooooo, fancy! Sounds yummy!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:56:54 PM »
Where do you find treacle?  I've never seen it at the store, but I wasn't really looking for it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:41 PM »
Does Jello make an instant?

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
most stores won't have it unless you go to a specialty food store..but ta da..the INTERNET has a ton of stores that ship   :-)

sorry Undies, no instant...but I've got it on the steamer right now if you hurry....

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »
Don't forget to PM the shortcuts! I will tell NOONE. Bwahahahahaha.  :evillaugh: I really do like cooking and baking and learning new skills in the kitchen.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »
Don't forget to PM the shortcuts! I will tell NOONE. Bwahahahahaha.  :evillaugh: I really do like cooking and baking and learning new skills in the kitchen.

Noone already knows.  He's a bake-off genius.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 09:41:49 PM »
you should have the short cuts in your box :)