Author Topic: Can you support the troops if you don't support the war?  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Can you support the troops if you don't support the war?
« on: February 17, 2008, 07:18:57 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2880420

margotb822  (156 posts)        Sun Feb-17-08 01:50 PM
Original message
Poll question: Can you support the troops if you don't support the war?
   Many people believe that they only way Congress can halt this administration's war in Iraq is to cut the funding. Others argue that cutting the funding would only hurt the troops, but it wouldn't slow down the Bush war machine. What do you believe? Are the troops separate from the war? Can you support one without support the other?
Poll result (54 votes)
Yes, there is a difference    (45 votes, 83%)   Vote
No, troops and the war are the same    (5 votes, 9%)   Vote
Don't know/Don't care    (3 votes, 6%)   Vote
Maybe, there's gray area    (1 votes, 2

Any guesses where this one is going?

LWolf  (1000+ posts)         Sun Feb-17-08 01:56 PM
Response to Original message
1. Cutting the funding ends the war.
   Ending the war and bringing the troops home is the best kind of support I can conceive of.

ileus (1000+ posts)        Sun Feb-17-08 02:06 PM
Response to Reply #1
12. When we cut the funding do we just leave them and the equipment there?
   I mean really why not just put a stop payment on the war today and just leave all personnel and equipment there. Why spend another dollar there...period. The troops are resourceful they could sell their junk and make it to an airport somewhere for a plane ticket.

In fairness the idiocy of this one was called out.

acmavm  (1000+ posts)        Sun Feb-17-08 01:57 PM
2. That's a really hard call. I suppose I could ask who's physically in Iraq
   shooting innocent civilians, raping women, and killing kids? I suppose I could ask why if "I was just following orders' wasn't supposed to work for Germans, why should it work now? I suppose I could wonder why economically strapped American who are scraping to get by, in some case aren't really getting by, should expect to pay for the continuation of an illegal occupation and buy food and armor for the people committing all of the above. I don't know.

I do know that you won't find a rich republican's sons over there (except for that ****ing nutball John McCain).

I don't know.

:bird: :bird:

Warren Stupidity  (1000+ posts)         Sun Feb-17-08 02:01 PM
5. Gotta Sport Da Troops!
   Edited on Sun Feb-17-08 02:01 PM by Warren Stupidity
I really hate this framing. I do not support sending our troops overseas to murder foreigners for no good reason. I support bringing all of our forces back home and completely restructuring our military position in the world.

Put yourself in Germany 1941. Ask yourself the same question. Oh I know 'Godwin's Law'. Screw that. We've caused the death of somewhere around 1,000,000 Iraqis so far with no end in sight. How much troop-sportin do we have to do before we are simply accomplices?

Eat shit and die asshole.

BushDespiser12  (1000+ posts)         Sun Feb-17-08 02:06 PM
Response to Reply #5
9. Succinct, and spot-on.

mike_c  (1000+ posts)         Sun Feb-17-08 02:12 PM
Response to Reply #5
14. excellent response!
   My feelings exactly. The war against Iraq is a war crime, so just who are the criminals responsible for the crime? All Americans are CRIMINALLY responsible IMO-- and that includes "the troops."

May the day come when you are praying for the help of "the troops".

greenvpi (63 posts)        Sun Feb-17-08 02:03 PM
6. No! The troops are what give Bush his power!
   If they had not volunteered (and he's been President for over seven years so at this point they are all knew what they were getting into when they signed-up or renewed) to serve him personally. While all Bush does is talk and order, these troops are the ones who are actually doing the atrocities.

But DU supports the troops you know. ::)

FreeStateDemocrat (1000+ posts)       Sun Feb-17-08 07:47 PM
28. They are all there voluntarily since the war has been going on for 5 yrs they could have gotten out.
   They have made the conscious choice to remain in the military and that entails supporting an illegal war. They asked for it, so I hope they enjoy the money and the benefits of being a mercenary who has sold their soul to Bushco. This ain't like Vietnam where people were conscripted against their will and paid a pittance.Most of these people have made a financial decision where they can make more money by having blood on their hands then they could earn in civilian life. Most everybody supports them through the huge taxpayer burden of keeping a military in combat operations apparently for the foreseeable future or even a hundred years if McCrazy is correct.

:bs: :censored:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Can you support the troops if you don't support the war?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
The 83% for option 1 reflects a much higher level of rationality than I would have expected on the Island of Lost Toys.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »
The 83% for option 1 reflects a much higher level of rationality than I would have expected on the Island of Lost Toys.
I suspect that is only because they know that is the "right" answer.

The thread suggests something otherwise.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:46:58 PM »
I suspect that is only because they know that is the "right" answer.

The thread suggests something otherwise.

Yep, because they know...

"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »
margotb822  (156 posts)        Sun Feb-17-08 01:50 PM
Original message
Poll question: Can you support the troops if you don't support the war?

No.  Next question.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
mike_c  (1000+ posts)         Sun Feb-17-08 02:12 PM
Response to Reply #5
14. excellent response!
   My feelings exactly. The war against Iraq is a war crime, so just who are the criminals responsible for the crime? All Americans are CRIMINALLY responsible IMO-- and that includes "the troops."

So by mike_c's logic, if he's not there AT THE VERY LEAST standing between the troops and the Iraqis as a human shield or (as he SHOULD BE considering is POV) fighting on the side of the insurgents, isn't he complicit in the death of Iraqi citizens just by his refusal to practice what he preaches?

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 11:20:21 PM »
**** those pieces of shit. I've scraped dogshit off my shoe that has more worth than the whole lot of them.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:22:54 AM »
I would say yes you can be opposed to the mission but where the DUmmies **** up is when they want the US to fail. I wasn't exactly behind the war in Kosovo but I still wanted us to win it.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »
Any citizen who pays taxes is a supporter of the troops and the missions they are sent on.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
Any citizen who pays taxes is a supporter of the troops and the missions they are sent on.

Not exactly. I don't support many things my tax dollars go to fund that are forced upon me.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:05:04 AM »
To answer the original question, when you support someone, you support what they are doing. These idiots can't fool people with good sense anymore by saying that they support the troops, just not what they are doing  :whatever:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »
love the sinner, hate the sin?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »

greenvpi  (63 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Feb-17-08 02:03 PM
6. No! The troops are what give Bush his power!

If they had not volunteered (and he's been President for over seven years so at this point they are all knew what they were getting into when they signed-up or renewed) to serve him personally. While all Bush does is talk and order, these troops are the ones who are actually doing the atrocities.
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

:bird:

mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Feb-17-08 02:12 PM
Response to Reply #5
14. excellent response!

Arctic Dave  Donating Member  (138 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Feb-17-08 08:16 PM
Response to Reply #4
34. My thought too.

If they were in when this started I will give them slack. But the truth about this CF has been out for some time. I have no sympathy for anyone involved wether your a frontline or a REMF.

Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:09:04 AM »

Not exactly. I don't support many things my tax dollars go to fund that are forced upon me.

Paying taxes is tantamount to supporting everything that those taxes are used for.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »

Paying taxes is tantamount to supporting everything that those taxes are used for.

Yeah but taxes are mandatory. Just because one pays a tax does not mean the tax payer supports everything that tax money is being spent on.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 11:15:45 AM »
I don't support my tax dollars going towards the propagation of Planned Parenthood.

Barack Obama

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »
I certainly don't support all of the programs my tax dollars fund!!! But, as a law abiding citizen, I will pay my taxes and express my dissent in the voting booth.

This idea of "supporting the troops via your mandatory taxes" is utter nonsense and a dishonest attempt to excuse the vile troop bashing we see on DU.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jukin

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 02:35:14 PM »

Then that takes out 98% of the DUchebags.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »
I don't support my tax dollars going towards the propagation of Planned Parenthood.

Amen!  It's bad enough Planned Parenthood is actually making a profit.  :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 05:20:18 PM »
Response to Reply #5
14. excellent response!

Wow you still trying to sell this pice of shit theory aren't you?

I thought you learned your lesson about this after I publicly pwn3d your ass over that very statement at LiberalUnderground?

Look Bugsy...you're trying to apply U.N. law to the U.S. and that just isn't going to fly.

You've tied your whole "all troops are criminals" theory to some arcane U.N. law that neither applies to nor supersedes U.S. Law.

And I showed you quite clearly where you were wrong before.

No one is criminally responsible for anything jackass.  FOAD.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »
Response to Reply #5
14. excellent response!

Wow you still trying to sell this pice of shit theory aren't you?

I thought you learned your lesson about this after I publicly pwn3d your ass over that very statement at LiberalUnderground?

Look Bugsy...you're trying to apply U.N. law to the U.S. and that just isn't going to fly.

You've tied your whole "all troops are criminals" theory to some arcane U.N. law that neither applies to nor supersedes U.S. Law.

And I showed you quite clearly where you were wrong before.

No one is criminally responsible for anything jackass.  FOAD.

Hey, let him turn himself in to the Al Quaida victims.  Or, more efficiently, just try himself, find himself guilty, and give and execute the death penalty.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »

Hey, let him turn himself in to the Al Quaida victims.  Or, more efficiently, just try himself, find himself guilty, and give and execute the death penalty.

I've tried looking for that discussion from LU archived somewhere but I can't.

I'd love to re-post his initial argument...but you'd have to make sure you weren't drinking anything when you read it.