Author Topic: The idiocy of the self defense argument  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
The idiocy of the self defense argument
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2880085
penguin7  (821 posts)        Sun Feb-17-08 12:40 PM
Original message
   Advertisements [?]

First of all, being that I do not own a gun, my best self defense is to work to outlaw guns.

Now if someone breaks into your house you will not know whether he has a gun or not, pretty unlikely anyway if they know you are at home. So if you shoot and kill this guy you are pretty much a murderer. How many times does the drunk come home to the wrong house to get his brains blown out? It is very common for people to try to enter the wrong house for a whole myriad of reasons.Uhmm,no it isn`t.

Also the guy is coming in and you are then going to go for your safe where you have locked up the guns. Doesn't it make more sense to call the police? Isn't this much faster?A statement that stupid doesn`t come along often and will most likely be found at DU.

One thing about guns, if you and the attacker have guns, you have to shoot well before the facts are in. And if your attacker has a gun, the dead guy is the unlucky one not the bad guy. In the best of worlds this self defense crap works half the time, the other half you are dead.
And the odds of someone coming at you with a gun when you have gun at the ready are pretty low, especially when your guns are locked up in the safe.

A far better defense would be to outlaw guns to greatly lower the chances of a gun coming in the house. I bet that criminals will be so happy to obey that law while they are contemplating breaking another one.

On Edit: It is established that those that have guns in their houses are much more
likely to blow out the brains of someone they know than a stranger.

Brand new and no response yet but so incredibly stupid and poor reasoned I couldn`t resist.

These people really consider themselves intellectuals? ::)

Offline Lord Undies

Re: The idiocy of the self defense argument
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »
I read this on DU a bit ago.  I was too stunned.     

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
I had to listen to this crap at work from a bunch of know-it-all idiots liberals.

You can't legislate away risk.  30,000 people die in automobile accidents every year.  How many die from school and workplace shootings?  You're more likely to die ON THE WAY to school or work than being shot by a crazy once you get there. 

But that's the Democrat's platform.  Everyone's a victim.  Everyone needs to be protected by Mommy and Daddy Government.  :bird:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »
zanne  (1000+ posts)      Sun Feb-17-08 12:45 PM
Response to Original message
2. Watch out--here comes all the self-defense "logic"! 
 Edited on Sun Feb-17-08 12:47 PM by zanne
The gun nuts are PM'ing each other as we speak! ATTACK! ATTACK!

Imbecile.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
Oooh.  BURN from Neal Boortz.  :bow:

I'm sure there will be much conversation today about the shooting yesterday afternoon at Northern Illinois University. The ignorant, and those who pander to the ignorant, will start screaming about gun control. Others will understand that when a deranged idiot decides to go shoot some folks he is going to chose a place where he feels he is less likely to face retaliation ... at least until he does what he wants to do. What better place than a place where guns are outlawed? You'll notice he didn't wander into a gun show and open fire. I know, the example is extreme ... but the point is made.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »
penguin7  (821 posts)        Sun Feb-17-08 12:40 PM
Original message
   Advertisements [?]

First of all, being that I do not own a gun, my best self defense is to work to outlaw guns.

You go right ahead and try sweetheart. While your busy marching with your cute little sign and calling your congressperson for the umpteenth time, I'll be at the shooting range.
Now if someone breaks into your house you will not know whether he has a gun or not, pretty unlikely anyway if they know you are at home. So if you shoot and kill this guy you are pretty much a murderer. How many times does the drunk come home to the wrong house to get his brains blown out? It is very common for people to try to enter the wrong house for a whole myriad of reasons.

If someone breaks into my house I don't particularly care why...he's someplace he shouldn't be. My safety trumps his stupidity, even if he's a drunken idiot.

Also the guy is coming in and you are then going to go for your safe where you have locked up the guns. Doesn't it make more sense to call the police? Isn't this much faster?

Well the solution is obvious. Don't keep your gun locked up where you can't get it. I swear these people must have to get instructions on how to breathe every frickin' morning when they wake up or they'd forget how.

One thing about guns, if you and the attacker have guns, you have to shoot well before the facts are in. And if your attacker has a gun, the dead guy is the unlucky one not the bad guy. In the best of worlds this self defense crap works half the time, the other half you are dead.
And the odds of someone coming at you with a gun when you have gun at the ready are pretty low, especially when your guns are locked up in the safe.

Fact: Someone who shouldn't be in my house is in my house. That's pretty much the only "fact" I need. What the hell, are we now supposed to have them fill out a questionnaire while we're loading?
A far better defense would be to outlaw guns to greatly lower the chances of a gun coming in the house.

So, you, John Q. Lawabiding citizen are minding your own business with NO gun. In walks Johnny Outlaw...with a gun. You run for the phone, but never manage to get there (your phone is clear in the other room, might as well have been locked away in a cabinet). While you're lying there bleeding to death the thought briefly crosses your mind...if only I had a gun with me. Then you remember your a pacifist who spent your whole life fighting for gun control. Well, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you lived your conviction to the very end. As you expel your last breath you think to yourself, "If only the idiot that shot me would've followed the law...he's probably an evil, right-wing, crackhead...oh....wait..."

On Edit: It is established that those that have guns in their houses are much more

Yeah, I'm sure you have tons of stats on your side to prove this too. Thanks, I'll take my chances.

Cindie

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 12:52:27 PM »

Good Ashe, bad Ashe, I'm the one with the gun.  And it's not in a safe.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 01:04:31 PM »
Original message
   Advertisements [?]

You go right ahead and try sweetheart. While your busy marching with your cute little sign and calling your congressperson for the umpteenth time, I'll be at the shooting range.
Now if someone breaks into your house you will not know whether he has a gun or not, pretty unlikely anyway if they know you are at home. So if you shoot and kill this guy you are pretty much a murderer. How many times does the drunk come home to the wrong house to get his brains blown out? It is very common for people to try to enter the wrong house for a whole myriad of reasons.

If someone breaks into my house I don't particularly care why...he's someplace he shouldn't be. My safety trumps his stupidity, even if he's a drunken idiot.

Also the guy is coming in and you are then going to go for your safe where you have locked up the guns. Doesn't it make more sense to call the police? Isn't this much faster?

Well the solution is obvious. Don't keep your gun locked up where you can't get it. I swear these people must have to get instructions on how to breathe every frickin' morning when they wake up or they'd forget how.

Fact: Someone who shouldn't be in my house is in my house. That's pretty much the only "fact" I need. What the hell, are we now supposed to have them fill out a questionnaire while we're loading?
A far better defense would be to outlaw guns to greatly lower the chances of a gun coming in the house.

So, you, John Q. Lawabiding citizen are minding your own business with NO gun. In walks Johnny Outlaw...with a gun. You run for the phone, but never manage to get there (your phone is clear in the other room, might as well have been locked away in a cabinet). While you're lying there bleeding to death the thought briefly crosses your mind...if only I had a gun with me. Then you remember your a pacifist who spent your whole life fighting for gun control. Well, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you lived your conviction to the very end. As you expel your last breath you think to yourself, "If only the idiot that shot me would've followed the law...he's probably an evil, right-wing, crackhead...oh....wait..."

Yeah, I'm sure you have tons of stats on your side to prove this too. Thanks, I'll take my chances.

Cindie

I bow before you Cindie. :bow: :bow:

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »
Three words to counter- Gun Free Zone.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 01:37:26 PM »
Tell that to the family in CT who was tortured, raped and burned to death from two intruders (who amazingly enough were not drunk, or accidentally walked into the wrong house).

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 01:52:13 PM »
Tell that to the family in CT who was tortured, raped and burned to death from two intruders (who amazingly enough were not drunk, or accidentally walked into the wrong house).

Now, you see?  Those two would have failed the Intruder Questionaire/Test.  It would have been ok to shoot them.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »
Original message
   Advertisements [?]

Not sure what planet that happens on but I'll give penguine7 the benifit of the dolt. So what! How "common" is it for people to break in to the wrong house? (DUmbass)  ::)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »

:thatsright:

In DUmmieLand, you're dead every time.  I'll take 50-50 over 100-0. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 03:53:22 PM »
Quote from: DUmmie Retard
The idiocy of the self defense argumen

Because we all know that once guns are outlawed all the criminals will be disarmed too because they're afraid of breaking the law, RIGHT ?

Now if someone breaks into your house you will not know whether he has a gun or not, pretty unlikely anyway if they know you are at home.

Wrong, dumbass, you assume they are armed.

So if you shoot and kill this guy you are pretty much a murderer.

I don't get the logic behind that

How many times does the drunk come home to the wrong house to get his brains blown out?

Very very infrequently.

It is very common for people to try to enter the wrong house for a whole myriad of reasons.

No it is not.

What ? Do the police in lala land have teleporters or some shit where they can arrive the instant you call them now ?

Quote from: Dummie Retard
One thing about guns, if you and the attacker have guns, you have to shoot well before the facts are in.

The "fact" is that there is someone where they shouldn't be, clearly with intent.

And if your attacker has a gun, the dead guy is the unlucky one not the bad guy.

The attacker is the unlucky one and the dead one. Unlucky in that he chose a house where the residents were not disarmed.

In the best of worlds this self defense crap works half the time, the other half you are dead.

Someone needs to do a little more target practice.

PIMF dumbass :-)

Wrong. The chances of a gun coming into the house are greatly increased.

The chances of there being a gun in the house to defend against the one in the hands of a intruder are totally nullified.

Suuuuure they are.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 04:37:11 PM »
Teh Stupid.......It LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »
Teh Stupid.......It LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pffft...the DUmp is a communal garden where teh stupid is grown.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn