Author Topic: STIMULUS WATCH: Jobs, but not where needed most  (Read 954 times)

Offline thundley4

STIMULUS WATCH: Jobs, but not where needed most
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »
WASHINGTON (AP) - Billions in transportation stimulus dollars that President Barack Obama promoted as a way to create jobs shortchanges counties that need the work the most, an Associated Press analysis has found.
The AP's review of more than 5,500 planned transportation projects nationwide is the most complete picture available of where states plan to spend the first wave of highway money. It reveals that states are planning to spend 50 percent more per person in areas with the lowest unemployment than in communities with the highest. The Transportation Department said it will attempt to replicate the AP's analysis as it continues pressing states to dole out money fairl
One result among many: Elk County, Pa., isn't receiving any road money despite its 13.8 percent unemployment rate. Yet the military and college community of Riley County, Kan., with 3.4 percent unemployment, will benefit from about $56 million to build a highway, improve an intersection and restore a historic farmhouse.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the findings don't mean that the neediest communities will not benefit.

"Just because a road project is in one part of one county doesn't mean the benefits of those jobs created or the economic impact of that spending is simply isolated to that one area," he said.
Breitbart

It sounds like Gibbs believes in in the trickle over theory of economic benefit.  :uhsure:

$56M for a highway, intersection and farmhouse in Kathleen Sebelius' former state?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: STIMULUS WATCH: Jobs, but not where needed most
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:15:23 AM »
Waste, fraud and abuse? Color me shocked!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle