Author Topic: the go yellow hound primitive comments on the price of milk  (Read 1795 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
the go yellow hound primitive comments on the price of milk
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2877792

Oh my.

GaYellowDawg (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 08:35 PM
Original message

Four dollar milk.

In my worst nightmares in 2000, I wouldn't have thought I'd see gas prices up and around three dollars a gallon, and milk prices around four dollars per gallon (and I know I've got it better than other parts of the country). In seven years. Seven years!

There are a lot of people whom I know here in Georgia who are complaining about how hard times are. Yet, when you ask them which way they're voting, they're going Republican. I just don't understand how they can think that way when 6 of the past 7 absolutely screwed-up years have been the result of all three branches of the government being under control of the Republican Party.

P.J. O’Rourke famously said that the Republicans are the party that says government doesn’t work and then they get elected and prove it. I just don't understand why people don't get this.

physioex  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-16-08 08:39 PM
Response to Original message

1. Yea that is terribly expensive.....

At those prices you can stop buying that bovine growth hormone milk and buy soy milk. I don't there is much difference in prices.

beezlebum (149 posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 08:51 PM
Response to Reply #1

8. soy

i wish i could do it...i hate milk, but i love it so. i am trying to go vegetarian, and since i read that veal is a by-product of milk-production, i've been trying to find some alternative. my kids drink almost a gallon of cows milk per day, and i have often wondered if i'm not addicted to my daily chocky- i seriously get headaches and irritability if i don't get it. soy didn't cut it though. we do try to buy the more expensive rBGH-free milk (when it's in the budget).

pop goes the weasel (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 08:59 PM
Response to Reply #1

10. not much difference in quality either between hormone-infused cow milk or genetically modified soybean milk. And both of them are dependent on large amounts of petrochemicals to come to market. It's enough to move a person to replace the lawn mower with a nanny goat. Two problems solved in one beast, with fertilizer thrown in for free.

Wickerman   (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 08:41 PM

2. I live in the midwest and have lived around dairy farming all my life except a decade or so while in Texas. Milk has been artificially low priced for years and dairy farming is barely a break even game for most. I could've supported 4$ milk if the return would go to the farmer, but it is, in effect, going to the oil company slugs and Bush compatriots. We GOTTA see some change come November, else there will be nothing left for my kids and certainly nothing for theirs.

postulater (827 posts)      Sat Feb-16-08 08:41 PM

3. We're gonna start milking the cats.

teacher gal  (296 posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 08:41 PM

4. I feel the same way! 

I do not understand the blindness of these people.

beezlebum (149 posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 08:44 PM

5. milk is at least $4.99 a gallon where i live.

the non-rBGH kind is $5.99-$6.99.

as for ppl complaining about hard times and yet voting republican, if i inquire as to their curious leanings, they say the same old thing, every. single. time. never fails: "taxes!!1!"

"Taxes" isn't the right answer?

Hmmm.  I thought it was.

1monster  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 08:49 PM

6. $5.85 a gallon for milk here and has been since well before Thanksgiving... Gas just went up nine cents a gallon over night.

I'm voting the Democratic Ticket straight (in as much as there are Democratic candidates on the ballot), but at this point in time, I'm wishing there were a viable alternative to both parties.

I think our party has let us down BIG TIME.

Yeah, the Democrat party sure did.

Remember how in April 2006, the Democrats promised us that if they gained control of Congress, they'd bring gasoline prices down?

And the primitives bought it hook, line, and sinker.

jhuth  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 08:50 PM

7. Time to invest in companies that profit from high milk prices.

It's not their fault their making a killing.

Let's keep Wall Street lookin good.

Oh my; a speed-bump:

Fed_Up_Grammy (594 posts)      Sat Feb-16-08 08:56 PM

9. Do you really think prices only go up when Republicans are in office?

Better check your facts and your history.

GaYellowDawg (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 09:02 PM
Response to Reply #9

11. Of course not.

It seems particularly painful this time around, though.

Fed_Up_Grammy (594 posts)      Sat Feb-16-08 09:05 PM
Response to Reply #11

13. The late seventies were worse-----I had a large family at the time.

Perspective is everything,I guess.

Uh-huh.

And who was president then?

rainbow4321 (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-16-08 09:04 PM

12. My repuke red TX county still glows red as ever despite the fact that the county/residents thrived under a Dem prez and went bust as soon as chimp stole office in 2000. Outsourcing popped the dotcom bubble, massive layoffs followed, and then the foreclosure rate skyrocketed when all those people that bought million dollar homes while dotcommers were living high on the hog were suddenly pinkslipped when their jobs where shipped overseas...several I talked to said that their replacements were flown over here, trained by the local workers, and then they (and the jobs) went back overseas.

In the middle of the financial crisis local repuke officials said that they would be turning to healthcare industry investments to make up for the post-dotcom disa$ter. So now it seems we have more hospitals in the county then we do Starbucks!! None for the indigent, they still have to travel down to Dallas for healthcare needs. All the ones up here are private/for profit, looking more like 5 star hotels than hospitals.

Yet this damn county STILL follows chimp's people blindly, going 70% repuke in every election.

lib2DaBone (97 posts)      Sat Feb-16-08 09:25 PM

14. Oh Boy....

We aint seen nothing yet. If you think groceries are expensive now, hang on to your hat. All you Evangelicals.. grab your Bible and shout "Amen!"

GaYellowDawg (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 10:00 PM
Response to Reply #14

16. It's pretty darn scary.

When times get even more difficult, though, the evangelicals will probably call it God's punishment on an evil country, without even thinking for a second that they are the ones to vote the people in whose policies resulted in our mess. But I suppose it's a lot easier to blame bad times on someone else's sins than their own stupid votes.

angrycarpenter  (791 posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 09:43 PM

15. Milk prices used to be regulated.

Hurray for deregulation. It works.

The government used to think that milk was so important to the well being of growing children that it did everything in it's power to keep milk affordable.

Corporate farms pushed for deregulation. They are the ones cleaning up. It can't be all due to higher feed and gas prices.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: the go yellow hound primitive comments on the price of milk
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »

damn arabs.  or wisconsinites.  or something. :-)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »
A gallon of milk has always costs the consumer a little more than half the minimum wage rate.  It probably always will. 

There's a big world out there beyond the tips of your noses, DUmmies.  You should see it!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »
Where the hell do these people live? Even in our 'expensive supermarket' milk is 2.79 a gallon, but one can usually find it on sale 2 weeks out of themonth for 2.25-2.50. Most expensive I've seen is 3.19 at sam's club of all places. Something tells me they are pricing the Reiter's or brand name milk instead of the store brand stuff, but even that I don't see for over 3.99 a gallon.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »
My and my wife's grocery bill has actually gone down over the past few months. We stopped buying so much junk food, stopped wasteful practices like opening a new loaf of bread before we finished the old one, started buying in bulk and looking for bargains, use coupons, etc. We've managed to cut the bill darn near in half without really sacrificing much of anything.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:46:17 PM »
I grew up in 'milk' country.  I worked a couple of different farms milking and I'll tell ya what subsidies did for the milk farmer.  The biggest milk farmer in our area had a couple hundred head of cows he milked.  As soon as the subsidies went into effect he bought about 200 more cows and quit milking 100 of the 200 he was milking before.  He made a killing.  Here was a farmer who only had the capability to milk 200 cows who was being paid to NOT milk 300 cows while he sold milk from the other 100.  Very well off when I left home.

Ahhhhh gov't solves yet another problem!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
A gallon of milk has always costs the consumer a little more than half the minimum wage rate.  It probably always will. 

There's a big world out there beyond the tips of your noses, DUmmies.  You should see it!

which call into question the whole reasoning behind raising the minimum wage.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 05:21:14 AM »
I grew up in 'milk' country.  I worked a couple of different farms milking and I'll tell ya what subsidies did for the milk farmer.  The biggest milk farmer in our area had a couple hundred head of cows he milked.  As soon as the subsidies went into effect he bought about 200 more cows and quit milking 100 of the 200 he was milking before.  He made a killing.  Here was a farmer who only had the capability to milk 200 cows who was being paid to NOT milk 300 cows while he sold milk from the other 100.  Very well off when I left home.

Ahhhhh gov't solves yet another problem!

KC

Milk subsidies have led to the slow death of hundreds of farms over the years.
It was a depression era measure and part of a cheap food policy.
If the govenment had never been involved yes some small farms would have been eliminated sooner but they are gone now anyways.

Now,even though the price the farmer is getting for a undredweight of milk is fairly high so is the cost of production and operation.

Since we are subsidising a feel good but as yet inefficient ethanol production plan the price of grain has risen.

Wonder when the DUmmies will start carping about the price of bread and cereal too.