Author Topic: primitive woman bothered by cold weather votes  (Read 1434 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive woman bothered by cold weather votes
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:44:46 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=203x496840

Oh my.

This is from about two weeks ago, but the primitives on Skins's island haven't been putting out, and it's been pretty slow and dull and sluggish there lately; there haven't even been any primitive bonfires about cattle in Mongolia freezing to death.

Anyway, the primitive woman bothered by cold weather:

troubleinwinter (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 08:33 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. OK

Background...I am in the high mountains of Arizona. A place that elder people have retired for years. Bunches of old folks, and mainly rebublican. Fine. We have hand marked paper ballots read by Diebold opscan.

There is ONE (ONNNNE!) item on the ballot. Just the presidential item. No nuthin else. ONE ballot item, hand marked paper, Diebold opscan.

As we stood in line for an HOUR, I had conversations with folks about voting: paper, disenfranchisement, etc.

People 'get' that the hour wait is disenfranchisement. These are largely older, middle-class retired republican white people, and likely not experienced with minorities. I did some agitating, suggesting that we MUST get pissed off and challenge our county ROV. EVERYBODY was for it. For the first time, they knew how hard it was to stand in line.

WTF? ONE ballot item, hand-marked paper?

I'll continue next post....

troubleinwinter (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 08:53 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. So after standing in line for an hour to hand mark ONE item on paper, I whip out my ID. I want to know if a complicated, but appropriate ID will pass. I live in the state with the worst voter ID laws.

I kept my driver's license in my purse. I produced my passport, my property tax bill and my mailed voter materials.

The woman inspecting these documents told me that it was insufficient, and could not be accepted. I told her SHE WAS INCORRECT. She told me it wasn't acceptable. I TOLD HER SHE WAS WRONG. She had to search for and call over the bossmam', who judged that I was correct.

I moved over one table, signed in. Then stood in another line to get a ballot. I waited and waited for this one person to manage to hand out a ballot to a person in front of me. It took him minutes to hand over a paper ballot, when nothing was to be checked. I said to the bossmam, "Is there only one person to hand out ballots?" She said yes.

I turned around and looked at the polling booths. It looked like a Cristo installation (for those who get that). An hour long line of people outside, and EVERY ****ING VOTING BOOTH WAS EMPTY.

So, I voted (Edwards, by the way). Took me about 5 seconds. Handed my ballot to the nice little lady who told me that it had been this way, with hour+ long lines and empty booths since 6:00 a.m.

More next>>

troubleinwinter (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 09:23 PM
Response to Reply #1

4. After I voted, I walked outside along the long, long line of voters waiting and gave a little "Hey, hang in there!" to every few folk.

I was done & leaving.

Then a woman said to me, "Do they have any help for people needing assistance?" I saw that she was with an elder who likely was her father. He was using a walker. I looked around and realized how many elders we have on canes and walkers, or just couldn't stand that long.

I said, "I don't know, but I WILL find out." I went back into the vote room and spoke to 'bossmam'. I said, "There are many people in line who have physical challenges and must have assistance. What accomodations are being provided?" She didn't like the question, but I pressed strongly and we agreed to provide the next room with an OPEN door for them. I asked her promise that they would be immediately assisted in voting, not ignored, and she agreed.

I went down the long line many times and brought people into the room where they could sit comfortably, and by golly, I saw they WERE having their votes taken and given attention and care. So I left, went home. I felt uneasy and went back, to see if some people again should be told that there is a way for them to vote witout trying to stand in line an hour.

So I went back. I walked up the line. There wasn't a cane or walker to be found in line?! I went into the side-room and found 'bossmam' talking with voters who needed assistance.

I spoke to the other precinct opscan woman who said that nobody ever thought about it before I brought it up, but that they'd been walking down the line ever since.

It was a grand day for me. I voted, and I helped some others to vote, too.

I know, their votes probably cancelled mine out several times over (as they're mostly likely republicans), but I'm happy to have helped make sure they could vote.

As I left, I spoke to a good Dem-lookin' woman at the end of the line. I explained it all, and she promised to keep watch and help and pass it along.

Melissa G  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 09:40 AM
Response to Reply #4

8. Good for you troubleinwinter!

Glad you helped the folks vote and glad you voted Edwards!

troubleinwinter (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 09:29 PM
Response to Reply #1

5. What an amazing thing that we can have a DOZEN EMPTY BOOTHS with a paper ballot, an hour-long wait.

WTF? When I went back there the second time, I walked past hundreds of people in hour-long line, and then watched the voting room for 20 minutes with one booth used every now & then. EMPTY voting booths.

rumpel  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 11:50 PM
Response to Original message

6. Here on the Wside of LA County CA

After many many years, they changed the polling place. We are about 65k people (total)It was always quite busy at the usual polling place, an elementary school.

When my daughter, her fiancee and I went to the new place, a church, hardly anyone was there. It was about 2pm. Quite dem leaning in general, represented also by the ratio of booths - heavily more than REP booths. Two tables, obviously they consolidated the polling places, I don't know why. There is no explanation by Registrar Logan to the County Supervisors in terms of public information of this decision.

But having worked at the old polling place before, relatively speaking - turnout was very slow. I wonder whether the change has had an impact.

I was surprised at how few people were there hearing about heavy turnout elsewhere in the media.

Disappointing.

Voting was on the usual InkaVote system. No problems observed outside or inside.

There was a prominent sign about electioneering right at the parking lot, but as usual no posting of anything outside for the parties to observe the turnout...

This time my daughter was on the rolls, and she voted on a regular ballot.

diva77  (620 posts)     Wed Feb-06-08 02:04 AM
Response to Reply #6

7. my polling place was changed and I didn't receive notice of that change

I'm on the permanent absentee ballot list (which I want to be removed from but haven't gotten around to it) and in past elections have surrendered the ballot in exchange for a voting-day ballot. In past elections, I have always received info. regarding my polling place despite receiving the PAV. When I walked to my usual precinct polling place after dark, a woman was standing outside telling people that the location had been changed. I wonder how many people came by while she was on a break and as a result never got to vote...
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: primitive woman bothered by cold weather votes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:55:53 PM »
I thought these idiots were AGAINST voter ID ...... and this idjit takes the time to actually harrass them with outlandish ID's while these poor folks waited outside with CANES?!  Jeebus.

One other thing.  Are they having the General Election in AZ??  This DUmmy says the republican voters were canceling out its vote?  Would that matter in a primary?   :mental:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:27:27 AM »
troubleinwinter (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 08:33 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. OK

Background...I am in the high mountains of Arizona. A place that elder people have retired for years. Bunches of old folks, and mainly rebublican. Fine. We have hand marked paper ballots read by Diebold opscan.

There is ONE (ONNNNE!) item on the ballot. Just the presidential item. No nuthin else. ONE ballot item, hand marked paper, Diebold opscan.

As we stood in line for an HOUR, I had conversations with folks about voting: paper, disenfranchisement, etc.

People 'get' that the hour wait is disenfranchisement. These are largely older, middle-class retired republican white people, and likely not experienced with minorities. I did some agitating, suggesting that we MUST get pissed off and challenge our county ROV. EVERYBODY was for it. For the first time, they knew how hard it was to stand in line.

WTF? ONE ballot item, hand-marked paper?

I'll continue next post....

I thought these things only happened to dems and minority ones especially?

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »
I have been voting in Arizona for awhile now and have NEVER had to show ID, ever. Just find my name in the book and sign. The whole story stinks.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »
How the hell is standing in line disenfranchisement? Aren't poll workers for the most part volunteers, usually of the blue-haired little old lady variety? And IF Miz Winter is OH SO knowledgeable...if she KNOWS BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE how that place should be run (after all she's running around telling everyone how to do their VOLUNTEER job) why didn't she just volunteer herself? Why not be part of the solution instead of the problem?

Of course had SHE been the volunteer the story would've changed to the big, evil Republican trying to cut in line, demand special privileges for him and his old, corporate buddies. At least we can rest assured Miz Winter would still remember the conversations (all of them) word for word.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:56:35 AM »
And IF Miz Winter is OH SO knowledgeable...if she KNOWS BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE how that place should be run (after all she's running around telling everyone how to do their VOLUNTEER job) why didn't she just volunteer herself? Why not be part of the solution instead of the problem?

Probably because as someone else in that thread stated she "never got around to it". That's the liberal mindset, complain loudly then someone else will solve the problem.

What? Take personal responsibility? NEVER!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.