Author Topic: Vegetarianism  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Mariya1234

• Probationary (Probie)
Vegetarianism
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:22:34 AM »
There have been very few human societies in which no meat or fish are eaten, although in some parts of the world the normal diet is made up largely of staple foods such as rice, with meat and fish being relatively rare additions; this has often been due to poverty rather than choice. The main reason to be a vegetarian is to reduce animal suffering. To suggest that battery farms are in some way 'natural' is absurd - they are unnatural and cruel. The fact that human beings are omnivores (and are rational agents with free will) means that they can choose whether to eat meat, vegetables, or both. Becoming a vegetarian is an environmentally friendly thing to do. There are significant health benefits to 'going veggie'; a vegetarian diet contains high quantities of fibre, vitamins, and minerals, and is low in fat. (A vegan diet is even better since eggs and dairy products are high in cholesterol.) Going vegetarian or vegan means massively reducing the risk of contracting food-borne diseases. Should we stop eating other animals? What are the moral, environmental, and health issues involved?

Offline Flame

Re: Vegetarianism
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:40:38 AM »
Yep...it's a choice, so let's keep this discussion friendly, folks!  I'd hate to see a thread from the food board get moved to the fight club!

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:03:10 AM »
Should we stop eating other animals?

HELL no.  We are not animals you dolt.  We are human beings.  Animals were put on this earth for us to use as we see fit.

What are the moral, environmental, and health issues involved?

None.  I feel no moral qualms at all when I eat a steak or a pork chop.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
Sure it is a choice.

My Choice.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »
I dunno.

Although I'm an enthusiastic backer of the cattlemen--Nebraska after all produces the finest beef in the world--I dine little on their products, probably a consequence of having to eat too much of the stuff when I was a kid.

It is possible to have "too much" sirloins, rib-eyes, T-bones.

When I left home as a teenager, the animal part of the diet abruptly changed, to near-exclusively poultry, egg, and dairy products, which continues today.

Actually, the diet contains very little animal products, even those things (other than 100% whole milk, pasteurized); during the blazing hot summers in the Sandhills of Nebraska, it can be 99% (well, maybe only 95%) fresh vegetables and fruits, and chipped ice.

I dine out rarely, and no matter the place, I always have the same thing, a burned hamburger and french fries cooked on the grill, not in a fryer.  This is April 16; thus far this year I've had.....two hamburgers.

The last time I was in a "fast food" place was, probably 1987.  It's been a very long time.  I have no idea what McDonald's or Burger King is selling these days; and even back then, I never went into Wendy's, having at one time seen an example of their "well-done" hamburgers, saturated in grease and red on the inside.  Never spent a dime at Wendy's in my life, not even for a soda.

Seeing how the "appreciation" for "fine dining" proved so catastrophic on other members of my family, I grew up to regard food as merely a fuel, nothing more.  There's many other things in this life, in this world, to appreciate.

My intake of animal products--other than 100% pure whole milk, pasteurized--is probably way below the national average, but to me it's no big deal.

What's a big deal to me is the irritating tendency of vegetarians to claim some sort of moral superiority, as if vegetarianism is a "virtue."  Being a vegetarian is no more virtuous than having five fingers on one hand, or hair on the top of one's head.

To each his own, whatever works, and nothing more than that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:42:12 AM »
Vegetarian = Indian word for lousy hunter.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:46:30 AM »
How many vegans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two--one to change it and one to check for animal ingredients.
 :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »
My brother once dated a Vegan. She said she "woulden't eat anything with a face". To which my brother replied, "then cut it off".

I don't eat beef as much as I used to, but I've been doing my part to put chickens on the endangered list.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:17:55 AM »
Vegetarian = Indian word for lousy hunter.   :-)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

H5!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline debk

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 11:24:55 AM »
I eat meat.....love meat in fact. I eat vegetables.....love them. I eat fruit....lots of it.

I think bananas, lima beans, and liver are all nasty.

Given a choice....I don't eat peanut butter. I think I've only had it maybe 10 times since I was pregnant with my youngest 28 years ago when I craved it. Prior to that...I rarely ate it. I really don't care for pancakes either. But...some kinds I like.

If I see you eating any one of those things...I might tease you...but honestly- I don't care if you eat them.

You may tease me about what I eat...I eat beef rare.. I will eat steak tartare if I can get it!.....but do not tell me what I can or cannot eat.....unless you are my doctor.....or you decide you want to take me on to raise and pay all of my bills.

("you" is generic, non-specific to any particular person)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:38:28 PM »
My wife likes to eat meat.................................................... :innocent:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »
There have been a couple of studies that have shown strict vegan diets are unhealthy for children.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »
Is bacon a vegetable??
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 05:04:44 PM »
Is bacon a vegetable??

Can you hear it squeal when you jam a fork into it ?

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »
Can you hear it squeal when you jam a fork into it ?

No mine just sizzles
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »
I have some second cousins whose mother is a vegetarian.  She allows them no different diet that her own.  They are short for their age - even when compared to growth charts for other family members.  They are thin, pale, and tire easily.  They do not do well at sports...or at schoolwork.  Compared to cousins of a similar age, they are slow, unintelligent, weak and small. 

Vegetarian diets may be fine for most adults, but diets high in protein and low in carbohydrates have been proven to be healthier, allow for more muscle and bone growth, and increased mental apptitudes. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
Well I like bacon on my bacon so I'm out :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 09:39:01 PM »
I strongly encourage Veganism in all it's glory to all the Mama Erf lovin' souls out there who want to live as one with their fellow warm blooded creatures and tread gently apon Ma's surface with their all-synthetic hippy sandels.

God knows I am going to need a lot of field hands to run my Post Apocalyptic plantation and it's not like you ginks are going to be able to do anything to keep yourselves out of the harvest crews.

There's a reason Meat Eaters are on the top of the food chain. :-)

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
When's the cut-n-paste OP gonna return with a few more tidbits for us heathens to improve our lives?  3 posts and that's it?   :whatever:

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 10:26:32 PM »
What about ****. Does she like ****?

oh and a bitchslap.

Welcome!
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »
There's a reason Meat Eaters are on the top of the food chain.

We aren't afraid to kick some ass, and BBQ later.   :evillaugh:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 07:35:39 PM »
I prefer seafood but I do indulge on meat too.  I'm not a big veggie and fruit person although I do have them on occasion.  I do love my pasta though.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
I'm going to--for the sake of argument--disagree with something txradioguy said. I usually don't.

Let's take the OP's assumption that we are animals as a given. So we are on the same food chain as lions, tigers, cheetahs, kodiak bears, wolves, and all other carnivores. Why are they allowed to eat other animals but we, who are animals, aren't?

Also, homo sapiens have evolved with incisors, canines, and a system which thrives on animal as well as vegetable energy. We're omnivores.

I'm just a slave to my evolutionary needs.  :-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 06:42:52 AM »
To follow up on Splashdown's comments.
We are omnivores for a reason. we NEED both veggies and meat. Being a generalist in diet has helped the species survive.
I generally have no problem with vegans.
I do have a problem with evangelical vegans who want to deny others a diet different than theirs.

What Mrs Smith said is true. Kids NEED meat and carbs. Vegan children suffer from malnutrition. Its abuse to put a child on a vegan diet.