Author Topic: question for Missourians  (Read 681 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
question for Missourians
« on: May 03, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
This morning, I had an interesting conversation with a gentleman from Missouri whom I encountered while in the big city, getting some cigarettes.

I suppose, the "stereotypical" rural Missourian; he even chewed.

The salt of the earth, a decent and civilized person.

This guy alleged to be from a town (I didn't grasp the name of the town) "fifteen miles south of Columbia."

We got to talking about politics down in Missouri, and I was awed.

No matter how obscure the name of the politician, or how far back in history, from Missouri that I mentioned, the guy was a walking encyclopedia of the Republican Party in Missouri.  He knew his stuff, and I couldn't trip him up (not that I meant to trip him up; it's just a way to determine credibility).

To detour for a second here, we also discussed the War of the Insurrection (1861-1865), on which again he was a walking encyclopedia.  I was not aware that there was such a heavy degree of hostility between Missourians and Kansans, other than in football, but he insists it's real, and intense.

I find this disheartening, because while I favor Kansans for cultural and geographic reasons, I've never met a mean person from Missouri, Missourians surely being some of the most decent and civilized people one can hope to find.

Anyway, back on topic.

He alleged to be active in politics, locally and regionally, and I had no reason to disbelieve him.  The guy radiated activity, enthusiasm, and action.  For a deaf person, he was easy to "hear."  I missed a few things, but a lot fewer things than I usually do.  This guy is a go-getter.

He says that there's some Republican from Missouri who's going to run against the machine-installed U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri) in 2012, and that it's a foregone conclusion.  Not even the corrupt Democrat machines that run St. Louis and Kansas City are going to be able to create enough "votes" to help her.

Alas, I couldn't grasp the name.

"Keller"?  Something like "Keller"?

Any idea?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: question for Missourians
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »
Afraid I don't know Frank, but I hope he's right, she is a vile conniving witch of a womand and as crooked as you might expect from a Progressive Democrat (I would not assume she is actually a progressive as opposed to a total opportunist, though).

"15 miles south of Columbia" is close to halfway between Columbia and Jefferson City, the State capital, BTW. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.