Author Topic: snobbish primitive asks other primitives how it's going  (Read 1877 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
snobbish primitive asks other primitives how it's going
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2871587#2871838

Oh my.

The snobbish primitive, probably the greatest mole-detector my fellow alum Skins has, but he doesn't appreciate her.

uppityperson  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-15-08 02:35 PM
Original message

Influenza widespread across USA. How's it going for DUers?

Time for my periodic influenza check in. Mods, this is not a lounge topic but is affecting many people across the USA (and elsewhere) so would like to see how GD posters are doing, local impact, etc.

So, GD posters, how are you doing? Have you noticed much for people being sick, out of work, etc? I've been home for the last couple wks with another health issue, so have missed a lot of exposure, but wondering how it is elsewhere.

Note: Influenza is NOT stomach flu, but the nasty virus that gives chills, fever, aching, tender skin, then gets you coughing for a couple weeks. It can get you set up for pneumonia, and can be serious. Listen for people doing that dry hack hack hack cough. They may say "oh, it's just bronchitis", but chances are good that it IS bronchitis as an aftermath of the flu.

Finally, here is a fun map I want to share. You can click on "previous week" at the bottom of it (at link) and go back wk by wk to watch it spread. Stay healthy, if you get sick PLEASE stay home for the infectious part. Wash your hands regularly, especially before touching your nose or eyes as you can infect yourself this way. And thank you for letting me know how it's going in your area.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

after which the map

It's a roaring bonfire; sample comments of the primitives:

mod mom  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-15-08 02:43 PM
Response to Reply #7

14. I used marinated garlic. I have a 10 and 11 yo and they are consistently bringing home germs but I found the marinated garlic has woked for me and it's DELICIOUS!

I dunno.  I use raw oranges.

niyad  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-15-08 02:49 PM
Response to Reply #7

25. hot peppers (including habeneros) garlic, honey, vit C, and, I am a reiki.

Anybody know what a "reiki" is?

It sounds like one of those human-propelled Chinese taxi-cabs.

backscatter712 (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-15-08 04:34 PM
Response to Reply #30

76. One of my previous employers had the most Naziesque sick policies.

This was a call center I worked at, that was notorious for its churn-and-burn employee retention methods.

Man it was a miserable place to work!

Every time you called in and were absent from work, it's an "occurrence". It doesn't matter if you're really sick or not. It doesn't matter if your can produce a doctor's note or not. If you get ten occurrences, you're fired.

As you can guess, everyone came to work if they were able to drag their asses out of bed at all. It was tradition to try to sneeze on the boss to teach him the error of his ways (as Scott Adams of Dilbert fame put it, it's one of the few legal ways to inflict physical bodily harm on other human beings...)

One poor girl actually showed up to work with meningitis. Actual eat-your-brain, can-kill-you meningitis! The supervisors had to fudge the attendance records to record that she did work the full day, then convince her to go to the hospital!

I just hope she gave it to the boss...

rainbow4321 (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-15-08 10:52 PM
Response to Reply #30

85. And the "let's go to a tax preparer's office with the flu and/or strept" group

Relative of mine in Tulsa works for a tax preparer office and keeps getting people who come in looking/sounding like shit and tell her that they are sick with strept and others that come in saying they have the flu. Meanwhile she's having to touch their paperwork and they keep trying to use her pens, etc. She said the hospitals are filled to the max with flu that is then turning into pneumonia.

FYI for DUer's, a doc I work with has said that the strain going around is NOT the one this year's flu shot is effective against. Figures we finally don't hear about a flu shot shortage for a change only to find out NOW that it wasn't the right one!

aquart  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-15-08 02:43 PM
Response to Original message

13. I got my shot.

But I've had colds on and off since Christmas because my heat keeps going on and off.

Sounds like the apint primitive should've had the furnace repaired.

lionesspriyanka  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-15-08 03:01 PM

32. i was out sick all of last week.

I'll bet it wasn't the flu, though.

ThomWV  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-15-08 03:07 PM

40. I Got It Last Week. It Was The Worst Case I've Had In 20 Years

I can normally shake off a bout of flu in 3or 4 days. It took me 7 days to get past this one and during that time I was sicker than I have been in 20 years. Really, it was a bad one. I didn't have enough strength to get up and walk 20 feet. I could not eat for 6 days. Every molecule of my body hurt, I had pain in my hair.

yibbehobba  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-15-08 03:55 PM

61. I live in the UK.

And I was just informed that I'm an MRSA carrier. Whoopee! I'm poison to the elderly and those with compromised immune systems! Influenza? Ha! I have the SuperBug!

So, how's that free medical care for all doing for you?

mac2  (1000+ posts)     Fri Feb-15-08 10:06 PM
Response to Reply #77

81. Rumsfeld made a fortune on Tamiflu while in the government

He spread the fear of bird flu while being on the drug board.

He (Tamiflu) and Cheney (Halliburton) both made fortunes on government programs.

I never did find a primitive at this very large bonfire blaming George Bush, though.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

Re: snobbish primitive asks other primitives how it's going
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
My own remedy is when it comes on whether it be a cold or flu or whatever to take a heavy Zinc and B complex vitamin. Works to shorten or stave it away alltogether. I didn't use it this last time and have held that crappy cough that comes with bronchitis.  :hammer: :censored:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »
I like backscatter's response...who makes the employer look wicked for firing a person who ditches work more than 10 times. Um, yeah. If you have the sniffles, deal with it like real men and women do  :whatever:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 12:22:03 PM »
If these dummies ate healthy instead of burgers, chips & dips, their immune system would be stronger. But I guess when you are a liberal, you have to moan, groan and piss about everything.Stupid is as stupid does. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »

Sneezing on someone on purpose or even negligently is an assault. Someone sneezes on me, they will find themselves in handcuffs in a New York minute.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline djones520

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »
Haven't had the flue since I was 9.  *shrugs*
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 04:30:07 PM »
I eat lots of meat, pretty much only meat. Have not had the flu in over 15 years. 

It is the vegans that clog our hospitals with flu patients, patients that taxpayers foot the bill on.

I figured since the DUchebags are making stuff up at a phenomenal rate today I can too.
 :evillaugh:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Vegasguy

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Husker Football
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
Anybody know what a "reiki" is?

I googled this....Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 05:44:47 PM »
I googled this....Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive.

Oh.

I figured, really, it was one of those Oriental things with which the primitives are fascinated, true to their creed of being "idiots who praise with enthusiastic tone, every century but this and every country but his own."

This is not to disparage ancient Oriental practices, which obviously have proven beneficial to those of that culture and temperament; it's more to ridicule the primitives for being fish who refuse to "accept" the water.
apres moi, le deluge