Author Topic: Not All Murtha Lawsuits Gone Away  (Read 834 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Not All Murtha Lawsuits Gone Away
« on: April 18, 2009, 05:29:29 PM »
Not All Murtha Lawsuits Gone Away
Two days ago, a federal appeals court threw out a lawsuit against Rep. John P. Murtha on the grounds that because he was acting in his capacity as a Member of Congress when he said -- incorrectly -- that U.S. Marines in Iraq had "killed innocent civilians in cold blood," he could not be sued for libel or defamation.

Specifically, the three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia cited a 1988 law that protects federal employees from being sued for things they say or do in the course of their official duties.

And that, apparently, was the end of former Marine Staff Sergeant Frank Wuterich's claim that Murtha had libeled and defamed him when Murtha made those sensational charges in May of 2006.

But it turns out that ruling is NOT the end of a similar lawsuit filed by former Marine Lance Corporal Justin Sharrat of Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.

(MORE)

I did not know Wuterich's lawsuit had been thrown out.  That stinks. :censored:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline 5412

Re: Not All Murtha Lawsuits Gone Away
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »
Hi,

As a former Marine, Murtha sickens me.  I hope the lawyer who made the appeal wins his case.

What I found really maddening was the two comments posted at the end of the article.

Mr. Murtha would do well to have his medical issus taken care of in civilian hospitals instead of Walter Reid.

regards,

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Not All Murtha Lawsuits Gone Away
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:46:58 AM »
What amazes me is the fact that he can hide behind the "official duty" cloak and get away with this crap.  But then again, the people in his district are idiots more interested in the teat than integrity or NOT looking like a laughingstock.

Sucks for them.  Dumbass racists--and that's Murtha's description of them, not mine.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford