Author Topic: lilliputian tom thumb primitive doesn't understand  (Read 1501 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
lilliputian tom thumb primitive doesn't understand
« on: February 14, 2008, 05:27:36 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2859820

Oh my.

One wonders how the lilliputian tom thumb primitive managed to reach 58 years of life, given all the things he wonders about, such as why "free medical care for all" won't cost anybody anything.

ThomWV  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 06:05 PM
Original message

Here Is An Apparent Contradiction That I Have Never Understood

Maybe someone here can explain this to me. This is about young men mostly. How can a young man be at the same time smart enough to earn the sort of money a new pick up truck cost these days and yet so stupid he'd put a confederate flag in its back window? I see it all the time, a 20-something driving a $35,000 pickup truck with the very symbol of ignornace plastered all over the vehicle. How can it be?

One suspects the lilliputian tom thumb primitive has some things on his own great big huge gas-guzzling pick-up truck used to tow his Vanderbilt-sized boat on the trailer behind, such as ABORTION NOW and IMPEACH THE CHIMP and KERRY/EDWARDS bumper-stickers.

I don't suppose it occurs to the lilliputian tom thumb primitive that decent and civilized people find that offensive?

Anyway.

zanne  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 06:06 PM
Response to Original message

1. It isn't about intelligence...

It's about attitude.

Winterblues (206 posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 06:14 PM

2. Daddy

There are a lot of red neck bigots that make decent money though...Most probably got their truck from Daddy..

uppityperson  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-13-08 06:15 PM

3. They buy it on time, with parents co-signing?

lulu in NC  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-13-08 06:18 PM

4. Truck: maxed-out credit. Bumper sticker: white identity decal.

gwbsamoron  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-13-08 06:23 PM

5. I'm 48 years old, UCLA graduate and couldn't afford a 35,000 car in any forseeable furture.

I've never figured out where the money comes from.

pnwmom  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 07:02 PM
Response to Reply #5

7. Do you happen to own a house? People who throw money away on expensive vehicles probably have trouble affording a down payment on a house.

gwbsamoron  (1000+ posts)       Thu Feb-14-08 12:32 AM
Response to Reply #7

14. I do. So at least I have that. 

We bought in 2000 before the prices really shot up (and subsequently came down).

elizfeelinggreat (177 posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 06:24 PM

6. just ignorance

I think you're right, it's ignorance. Whether they have the money or not, there are a lot of ignorant people walking around. I think that kind of macho sh*t has been glamorized to the hilt and it's as dangerous to our male youth as anorexia is to young girls but who is going to delve into that swamp?

No one has made them own up to the pain that symbol represents. It's very sad.

Decent and civilized people feel the same way about bumper-stickers primitives use.

Arctic Dave (58 posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 07:17 PM

8. Its not what you know, its who you know

Maybe the redneck symbol is what gets him the door of where ever he works. Whether you like to admit it or not the good ole boy system is very alive and well.

Bornaginhooligan  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 07:18 PM

9. Your problem is conflating intelligence with wealth.

That's a very common mistake.

Like how the primitives think the Kennedys are cerebrally-endowed.

Bobbieo  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-13-08 07:27 PM
Response to Reply #9

10. Will those confederate flagers be happy to see Hillary or Obama as POTUS?

Bornaginhooligan  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 07:52 PM
Response to Reply #10

12. They don't usually vote, I think.

But they'll be happy with health care and not getting shot in Iraq.

Thothmes (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 08:03 PM
Response to Reply #12

13. You don't think they vote

How many general elections has the Democratic party won in the south in the 30 years.

pnwmom  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-14-08 03:49 AM
Response to Reply #10

17. They wouldn't be happy with ANY our our candidates, including Edwards. Not those creeps.

Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 07:34 PM

11. Leases.

Around my area these dealerships are offering leases on the big tires *I'm compensating for SOMETHING* trucks these little boys like to drive. How else can you explain a kid making $10 bucks an hour doing drywall driving a 40K+ truck?

LSK  (1000+ posts)       Thu Feb-14-08 12:34 AM

15. Car Payments and living at home

franksolich is reeling from the projection spinning at this campfire.

pnwmom  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-14-08 03:48 AM

16. Car loans stretch out much longer these days, which lowers the monthly payment. And lots of twenty-somethings still live with their parents.

krispos42  (1000+ posts)       Thu Feb-14-08 03:57 AM

18. Maybe his or her parents' truck?

And he or she is just borrowing it?

I dunno. They argue that it's a symbol of "states' rights". I guess they can't or won't figure out that the right they want to give the states is the one to declare a human being property instead of citizen, the one to actually take away somebody's right to be a human being.

Such as, one supposes, an infant's right to be a human being?

mdmc  (1000+ posts)       Thu Feb-14-08 04:12 AM

19. could be heritage? 

If my bloodline ran through the south, I might want to honor it the way Irish people put an IRE sticker on their cars in my neck of the woods.

A friend of mine went to Clemson U. When I was visiting him, I was shocked at all of the confederate images I saw on display. I was told that the flag represented the South, states rights, opposition to tyranny.

They would all laugh when I admitted to being a Yankee.

This would come up at every party I went to while down there. I would see a flag, shirt, or poster and ask about it. The response I got would always be about honor, respect, and tradition. And a firm denial (sometimes a soft denial) of racism.

I would always toast the flag, ten add, "But if I see any swastikas, I'm out the door."

I was a funny yankee, like George Costanza and Jerry Seinfeld.

mvccd1000 (552 posts)      Thu Feb-14-08 04:20 AM

20. It doesn't necessarily mean that to everyone...

I grew up in the 70s and 80s, watching the Dukes of Hazzard. They had about as big a rebel flag as you'll see on a car, and they obviously weren't racist.

Since that was my only exposure to it, I did not realize it had racist connotations to some until probably well into my 20s, when I started reading about people considering it to be offensive or threatening.

(I grew up in Michigan, and didn't see a lot of them displayed, anyway.)

Bongo Prophet  (1000+ posts)       Thu Feb-14-08 04:52 AM

21. EZ - One can have multiple degrees, high income and no empathy or compassion whatsoever.

I see it all the time here in big truck country, Tx...

Sometimes the education shields one from other, less fortunate people, and the "wealth" can come from many professions.

Yeah, one sees that from left-wing academicians all the time.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: lilliputian tom thumb primitive doesn't understand
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:17:44 AM »
Yeah, everyone is allowed their heritage and history ..... except those ignorant rednecks in the south.  THEY don't understand history and such ... it HAS to be racism.   :whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Only ignorance I see here is Thom's understanding of the Civil War.  :whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:35:32 AM »
It's amazing how the DUmmies cannot be progressive.  The flag says "I'm a rebel", not "I'm a racist".   The DUmmies should all be sporting one.  They love a rebel.  I guess they really don't want some things to "change" after all.

The DUmmies should remember that things evolve.  They didn't have a problem when the word 'gay' evolved from meaning "feeling happy" to meaning "I like penises- lots and lots of penises - and I'm a bitter and depressed person".  Symbols and words evolve and progress.  They change meanings.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site