Author Topic: It's Gonna be hot in London next week  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Vagabond

It's Gonna be hot in London next week
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
Linky
Ah, another bank riot.  I'll have to remember to tune in, watching lefties getting their skulls cracked usually makes for good entertainment.

malaise  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-27-09 07:17 PM
Original message
It's Gonna be hot in London next week
 http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/27/g20-protest
<snip>
Yesterday, the Metropolitan police was understood to have contacted a number of protest groups warning that the main day of protest, Wednesday, 1 April would be "very violent", and senior commanders have insisted that they are "up for it, and up to it", should there be any trouble.

The force has refused to rule out the use of anti-terror legislation, with Sir Paul Stephenson, the Met commissioner, conceding that the week ahead, in which President Barack Obama will lead a cortege of other world leaders to the UK, will be the Met's greatest challenge.

Senior officers insist there is intelligence that some activists demonstrating against climate change, capitalism, war and globalisation are intent on violence and will try to disrupt the summit. They say that some troublemakers who were active in the 1990s have emerged once more, and that chatter between groups shows they are forging alliances to take their message to world leaders. Some protesters have also promised to storm buildings, taking out their anger over the collapse of the capitalist economy with direct action designed to bring London to a standstill.

However, David Howarth, a Liberal Democrat MP who is leading a parliamentary group of observers at the protests next week, said: "I am increasingly worried that what the police are saying about the protests will end up in a self-fulfilling prophecy. By talking up the prospect of violence they will put off peaceful demonstrators and start to attract other sorts."

------------
Meanwhile the coward banks are closing during the protests.
<snip>
Branches of Lloyds TSB and Halifax in the path of the G20 protesters are to be shut for two days to protect customers and staff during what could be angry demonstrations against banks bailed out by the taxpayer.

It is understood non-essential staff are also being told to work from home on 1 and 2 April - the day that officials from the G20 countries are due to meet in ExCel to the east of the City.

The G20 Meltdown campaign is intending to converge on the Bank of England from four directions. Each set of protestors will march behind one of the "four horsemen of the apocalypse".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/mar/27/g20-prot...
----------------

jwirr  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-27-09 08:00 PM
Response to Original message
1. I wonder what it is going to take before the "rulers" of this world realize
 that it is ready to go up in flames? I do not mean the elected leaders but those behind the throne: Corporations. The bonus people from AIG have had people angrily picketing their homes now for weeks. France is in riot mode. China is barely able to control it's angry protesters. I do not think there is a single country in the world that does not have people who are angry enough to pick up the pitchforks. Do they think their money can save them? The last thing I want to see is a world wide revolution but I have a feeling it could come to that.

Does anyone believe that this one "doesn't want to see a worldwide revolution"? 

malaise  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-27-09 08:14 PM
Response to Reply #1
2. The more anger the more they will be forced to change
 I don't give a flying fugg about either the corporations or governments.
It's time for change for the people and we're going to get that change.

They will reform or they will feel the wrath of humanity.

Will the peasants be revolting?

muriel_volestrangler  (1000+ posts)        Sat Mar-28-09 06:05 AM
3. I object to your use of 'coward'
 Are you saying the banks should force the employees at those branches to go in to work, to face whatever might happen? Are you saying that a bank teller is as much to blame for the anti-bank feeling as a CEO?

Of course, the bank teller is a member of the capitalist bourguosie.  Of course you expect them to be there for the lynch mobs.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Sat Mar-28-09 06:31 AM
Response to Reply #3
4. I noted that too.
 nothing cowardly about closing the banks in the path of the protests. simply prudent

Why should they have to shut down?  You hippies are respectful of differences, right?

vadawg  (588 posts)      Sat Mar-28-09 06:36 AM
Response to Reply #4
5. i think the keyboard revolutionary is cowardly, hoping to see people hurt is cowardly
 it always shocks me when i read of this upcoming peoples revolution, i have a feeling that a lot of us people are gonna be sent to the gallows if we are not idealogically pure enough.

Vadawg is the only person on this entire thread to post a comment with anything close to a truth in it.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Sat Mar-28-09 06:58 AM
Response to Reply #5
6. of course if the fever dream of a revolution that dances through the heads
 of some DUers, the ideologically impure would be purged. And I'd certainly be among them. I have no high regard for 'the people'. I don't think the proletariat contains the wisdom of the ages. In fact, I think human nature is pretty constant from onw social group to another. Furthermore I detest and fear mobs and mob mentalities.

Yes, I'm a bad little comrade.

BS.

malaise  (1000+ posts)      Sat Mar-28-09 07:58 AM
Response to Reply #6
8. Until the people of this planet wake up and realize
 that they are entitled to their rights, those who control wealth and their allies - the political elite and the arms manufacturers - will continue to push the envelope.

I worry more about that mob than the majority of decent people who can take no more of this criminality by the oligarchs.

impressive BS.

malaise  (1000+ posts)      Sat Mar-28-09 07:55 AM
Response to Reply #3
7. My use of coward was for the owners who lord it over
 the planet but feel no one should object to their criminality. I am in total sympathy with the bank tellers of the planet. They are underpaid workers like the rest of us.

Award winning BS.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: It's Gonna be hot in London next week
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »
I think that the protests will be a tad "hairy," but hopefully there will be some MI-5 or SAS types there to keep an eye on things.

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:32:26 AM »
I think that the protests will be a tad "hairy," but hopefully there will be some MI-5 or SAS types there to keep an eye on things.

I remember the Italians didn't hesitate to crack some skulls when the anti IMF protestors came to call there.  The rioters tried right up until the cops showed they weren't putting up with it.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »
I hope there are flamethrowers planned for any unruly types.  I hear mobs taste just like chicken.

It is pathetic that "greed" is defined as "you have something I don't have so you are greedy".  The real "greedy" ones are the "noble protesters", by far.  Their "anger" is born from their own inadequacies, lack of ambition, and twisted political emotions.

Long live The Banks!  Short live The DUmmies!  

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:47:50 AM »
What's the over/under on how many businesses are going to be trashed.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
Quote from:
Senior officers insist there is intelligence that some activists demonstrating against .... capitalism,...
(snip)
Some protesters have also promised to storm buildings, taking out their anger over the collapse of the capitalist economy...

See, this would make a great cage match: Activists against capitalism vs. Protesters angry over the collapse of capitalism.  Maybe London can arrange these two groups to meet up.

I've wondered why these (now) G20 countries and the WTO types, since they meet ever few years anyway, don't find some island resort in the South Pacific and just rent it out for a couple of days in order to avoid these protesters.  Surround the island with a few ships/boats, have some air support, and make it where the only one's on the island are the G20, their staffs, along with any press they might invite, and no one else.  Better than putting up with all the hassle.

Then again, showing these kooks on TV and how violent and mindless they are does help bury their cause.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »
I hope there are flamethrowers planned for any unruly types.  I hear mobs taste just like chicken.

It is pathetic that "greed" is defined as "you have something I don't have so you are greedy".  The real "greedy" ones are the "noble protesters", by far.  Their "anger" is born from their own inadequacies, lack of ambition, and twisted political emotions.

Long live The Banks!  Short live The DUmmies!  

I wonder if there will be any "impromptu ballistics tests" in London during this . . . I sure hope so!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
The left is all about anger and hate....oh and peace and tolerance. :whatever:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »
Sometimes the capitalists fight back.

February 17, 2005

Kyoto protest beaten back by inflamed petrol traders

WHEN 35 Greenpeace protesters stormed the International Petroleum Exchange (IPE) yesterday they had planned the operation in great detail.
What they were not prepared for was the post-prandial aggression of oil traders who kicked and punched them back on to the pavement.

“We bit off more than we could chew. They were just Cockney barrow boy spivs. Total thugs,” one protester said, rubbing his bruised skull. “I’ve never seen anyone less amenable to listening to our point of view.”

Another said: “I took on a Texan Swat team at Esso last year and they were angels compared with this lot.” Behind him, on the balcony of the pub opposite the IPE, a bleary-eyed trader, pint in hand, yelled: “Sod off, Swampy.”

Greenpeace had hoped to paralyse oil trading at the exchange in the City near Tower Bridge on the day that the Kyoto Protocol came into force. “The Kyoto Protocol has modest aims to improve the climate and we need huge aims,” a spokesman said.

Protesters conceded that mounting the operation after lunch may not have been the best plan. “The violence was instant,” Jon Beresford, 39, an electrical engineer from Nottingham, said.

“They grabbed us and started kicking and punching. Then when we were on the floor they tried to push huge filing cabinets on top of us to crush us.” When a trader left the building shortly before 2pm, using a security swipe card, a protester dropped some coins on the floor and, as he bent down to pick them up, put his boot in the door to keep it open.

Two minutes later, three Greenpeace vans pulled up and another 30 protesters leapt out and were let in by the others.

They made their way to the trading floor, blowing whistles and sounding fog horns, encountering little resistance from security guards. Rape alarms were tied to helium balloons to float to the ceiling and create noise out of reach. The IPE conducts “open outcry” trading where deals are shouted across the pit. By making so much noise, the protesters hoped to paralyse trading.

But they were set upon by traders, most of whom were under the age of 25. “They were kicking and punching men and women indiscriminately,” a photographer said. “It was really ugly, but Greenpeace did not fight back.”

Mr Beresford said: “They followed the guys into the lobby and kept kicking and punching them there. They literally kicked them on to the pavement.”

Last night Greenpeace said two protesters were in hospital, one with a suspected broken jaw, the other with concussion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article515384.ece

I remember when this happened, it never fails to make me smile.  :-)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
“We bit off more than we could chew. They were just Cockney barrow boy spivs. Total thugs,” one protester said, rubbing his bruised skull. “I’ve never seen anyone less amenable to listening to our point of view.”

Greenpeace had hoped to paralyse oil trading at the exchange...

You want to shut them down but you call it "listening" and you're upset THEY aren't amenable?

Hippy-crites.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »
jwirr  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-27-09 08:00 PM
1. I wonder what it is going to take before the "rulers" of this world realize
 that it is ready to go up in flames? I do not mean the elected leaders but those behind the throne: Corporations. The bonus people from AIG have had people angrily picketing their homes now for weeks. France is in riot mode. China is barely able to control it's angry protesters. I do not think there is a single country in the world that does not have people who are angry enough to pick up the pitchforks. Do they think their money can save them? The last thing I want to see is a world wide revolution but I have a feeling it could come to that.
Hey dipshit, France is always in "Riot" mode, or "Surrender" mode depending. And are you so fracking out of touch you believe your BS about China??? The ChiCom leadership would CRUSH any opposition to their way of doing things and by CRUSH I mean protesters into shiny red paste. JHC, the DUmmies are truly getting more stupid by the post!

:-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 12:52:15 PM »
I love a story with a happy ending.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
Hey dipshit, France is always in "Riot" mode, or "Surrender" mode depending. And are you so fracking out of touch you believe your BS about China??? The ChiCom leadership would CRUSH any opposition to their way of doing things and by CRUSH I mean protesters into shiny red paste. JHC, the DUmmies are truly getting more stupid by the post!

:-)

DUmb****s, think "T-72 over protester." 

Chase her.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »
Notice they like to pull this shit in London, Paris, or even Seattle. Never Texas. I wonder why that is???
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Flame

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 06:31:03 AM »
Sometimes the capitalists fight back.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article515384.ece

I remember when this happened, it never fails to make me smile.  :-)

:rotf: :rotf: :tongue: :tongue:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 06:31:49 AM »
I remember the Italians didn't hesitate to crack some skulls when the anti IMF protestors came to call there.  The rioters tried right up until the cops showed they weren't putting up with it.

England is kind of a peculiar place.  The courts give out sentences that are generally ridiculously low by our standards, particularly for (even very repetitive) property crimes or 'political' crimes, but the cops get away with playing very rough if the cameras aren't on them.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
these people hate capitalism. They should be celebrating. They are about to get to live their dreams of a 'classless' utopia in which everyone is starving