Author Topic: Social Security Payment Hits First Baby Boomer's Bank Account  (Read 3400 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Social Security Payment Hits First Baby Boomer's Bank Account
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:34:39 PM »

VERO BEACH, Fla. —  The nation's first baby boomer received her first Social Security retirement benefit Tuesday, marking another milestone for the post-World War II generation.

Kathleen Casey-Kirschling, 62, was born one second after midnight on Jan. 1, 1946. The retired teacher who lives in Earleville, Md., and Vero Beach applied for her benefits online, and received her payment by direct deposit.

Federal officials at a Vero Beach event to debut a public service announcement lauded Casey-Kirschling's decision to receive her benefits by direct deposit. A video featuring Casey-Kirschling was scheduled to appear on the Social Security Web site later Tuesday.

"Kathy is a trendsetter for her generation," said Jim Courtney, Social Security's deputy commissioner for communications.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330547,00.html

This is the dawning of the Age of the Rocking Chair...

Offline Lacarnut

Re: Social Security Payment Hits First Baby Boomer's Bank Account
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »
If she lives past another 15 years, she will regret taking early SS benefits with a lower benefit.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »
If she lives past another 15 years, she will regret taking early SS benefits with a lower benefit.
Huh? In 15 years there won't be any benefits left to take.

Anyone under 50 who thinks they will ever see a dime of SSI is a fool.  My retirement plans specifically exclude SSI.  If I get a few bucks, it'll just be fun money.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »

When the time comes, maybe a good mortician can put a smile on her regretful face. 

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »

Anyone under 50 who thinks they will ever see a dime of SSI is a fool.  My retirement plans specifically exclude SSI.  If I get a few bucks, it'll just be fun money.

It will still be there but you will not like the fix; eliminating the cap on income, raising the age and probably increasing the rates. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:40:48 PM »

It will still be there but you will not like the fix; eliminating the cap on income, raising the age and probably increasing the rates. 

Not gonna happen. And that "solution" will not work.  The ponzi pyramid will implode long before any of us late Boomers will see a dime.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 02:57:54 AM »

Yeah.  I'm glad I set up my retirement account when I was 18.  Got over 10k in it right now, and it'll just keep growing.  I'll be 37 when I retire from the Air Force, so between that pension, and the job I pick up afterwards, along with my TSP (which I'm hoping will be in the 6 figure range by the time I start drawing from in), I'm hoping I've got myself set up to make sure I don't need to worry about whether or not I'll ever see a penny of the SS I keep paying.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."