Author Topic: Marlins' ballpark vote passes  (Read 1159 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Marlins' ballpark vote passes
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:19:43 AM »
It looks as if Jeff Loria got what he wanted. 

Marlins' ballpark vote passes

Retractable-roof stadium slated for 2012 opening
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- At last, a home the Marlins can truly call their own.

Miami-Dade County commissioners on Monday put to rest more than a decade-long quest by voting in favor of a retractable-roof ballpark for the Marlins on the Orange Bowl grounds. Commissioners cast two separate votes, the first came back, 9-4, and the second was 10-3.

Since winning the World Series in 1997, three separate Marlins owners have sought a baseball-only facility. Now that will become a reality. The next step is moving toward breaking ground by July in hopes of getting the building open by 2012.

"You'd kind of hope that after eight, nine, 10 years, something does come out of it," Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said. "It got done tonight. Eventually, I thought it was going to happen. Miami is really a great place to live. You need a baseball team not to leave. It's now resolved."

From the time they entered the league in 1993, the Marlins have shared Dolphin Stadium with the NFL's Miami Dolphins.

It'll be a better place to play for them.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090323&content_id=4055912&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: Marlins' ballpark vote passes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:14:50 PM »
I wonder what the TV viewership share is for Marlins' games in FL?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi