Author Topic: Best in show!  (Read 3438 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Best in show!
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:28:34 AM »
K-Run's Park Me In First . . . otherwise known as Uno the Beagle.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7787722/Uno-the-beagle-makes-history-with-Westminster-win

(Hey--it was on Fox Sports and ESPN.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Best in show!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »
Woot!  It's nice to finally see a beagle win.   :-)  I am so tired of seeing nothing but poodles, so seeing Uno be crowned #1 was great. 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ze0FgrDFr4E
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »
The Westminster Kennel Club's dog show is considered a sport?? Okey-dokey.

I never understood what qualifies as "Best In Show" anyways. Could somebody explain that?

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:46:34 AM »

I never understood what qualifies as "Best In Show" anyways. Could somebody explain that?
Dogs are judged by breed first.  Each breed awards the Best of Breed.  The those winners are judged in groups (toy, working, terrier, sporting, non-sporting, hounds and herding).  Each best of group (7 dogs) compete the for best of show.

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »

Dogs are judged by breed first.  Each breed awards the Best of Breed.  The those winners are judged in groups (toy, working, terrier, sporting, non-sporting, hounds and herding).  Each best of group (7 dogs) compete the for best of show.

Okay, but what determines the best in each breed and so on? That's what I'm confused about.

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »

Okay, but what determines the best in each breed and so on? That's what I'm confused about.

The judges...duh!  :lmao:

They judge the dog against the breed standard....what the dog should look/feel/move like accordig to the AKC.

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »

The judges...duh!  :lmao:

They judge the dog against the breed standard....what the dog should look/feel/move like accordig to the AKC.

Oh... okay. So it's how the dog walks, looks, poses, etc. Gotcha.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:06:14 AM »

I figure if it was good enough for ESPN and Fox Sports, it was good enough for the Sports forum here. :cheersmate:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 07:37:06 AM »
Dogs with no hair just aren't natural.    :-*
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »
OMG