Author Topic: Elizabeth Holtzman: BUSH+CHENEY-Already-"Pardoned Themselves & Got Immunity From  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2818551

kpete  (1000+ posts)         Mon Feb-04-08 10:07 PM
Original message
Elizabeth Holtzman: BUSH+CHENEY-Already-"Pardoned Themselves & Got Immunity From The War Crimes Act"   
   Advertisements [?]

Edited on Mon Feb-04-08 10:28 PM by kpete
Elizabeth Holtzman: Well, they did get immunity for themselves from the War Crimes Act. Let's make that explicit and perfectly clear.

BuzzFlash: They did.

Elizabeth Holtzman: Both Cheney and the administration pardoned themselves, in effect, and got immunity from prosecution under the War Crimes Act, which, by the way, carries the death penalty. A criminal statute makes it a federal crime to violate certain portions of the Geneva Conventions, and to engage in torture, mistreatment, or degrading treatment of detainees. So they were very worried about criminal liability -- so worried that they got themselves immunity under the War Crimes Act. So, yes, I think that would be the next step. You might even see a pardon by George Bush before he leaves office.

more at:
http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/interviews/094

(kpete: for some reason, my first post was deleted from DU-I do not understand why....?)

This person posts numerous threads but never gets much bang for it.
Typical hyperbole on the thread now but this one post sums up primitives complete ignorance on....everything.

TankLV  (1000+ posts)        Sun Feb-10-08 11:44 PM
Response to Original message
11. But - no matter if they did it - the CONSTITUTION says it plainly that it is illegal to
   grant RETROACTIVE IMMUNITY for/from ANYTHING under ANY circumstances. Period.

I don't have the exact words, but it is in the first Ten Ammendments, I think...

no matter what "they" do, it's not LEGAL unless they AMMEND the CONSTITUTION, which they have NOT done. Period.

The first 10 are known as the Bill of Rights fool.
Google is your friend. :rotf: :rotf:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

TankLV  (1000+ posts)        Sun Feb-10-08 11:44 PM
Response to Original message
11. But - no matter if they did it - the CONSTITUTION says it plainly that it is illegal to
   grant RETROACTIVE IMMUNITY for/from ANYTHING under ANY circumstances. Period.

I don't have the exact words, but it is in the first Ten Ammendments, I think...

no matter what "they" do, it's not LEGAL unless they AMMEND the CONSTITUTION, which they have NOT done. Period.

Jesus, that's one dumb moonbat.  I think he has probably got the concept of the prohibition against ex post facto prosecution confused with the pardon power of the Executive.  Seriously, no retroactive immunity?  That means the only kind you could get would be for crimes you haven't committed yet, which is a tad bit unusual as grants of immunity go.

:mental:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Maybe DUmbass is thinking of the Art I clause that forbids the POTUS from parding any crime he's involved in or an impeachment.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lord Undies

ATTENTION ALL MOONBATS!!!

The USA is not at war with another nation. 

The USA is at war against a floating cult's ideology, not against the army of a foreign nation.

The "Geneva Convention" doesn't apply to the USA dealing with terrorist.  It is merely a guideline, generously.

"Waterboarding" is not torture.  No one gets hurt in the process.  Deservers of waterboarding live to tell about it.   It isn't like sawing off heads with a rusty steak knife.

"Waterboarding" is actually controlled by the terrorist.  All they have to do to avoid it is stop killing innocent people at random. 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running

The USA is at war against a floating cult's ideology, not against the army of a foreign nation.

The "Geneva Convention" doesn't apply to the USA dealing with terrorist.  It is merely a guideline, generously.

"Waterboarding" is not torture.  No one gets hurt in the process.  Deservers of waterboarding live to tell about it.   It isn't like sawing off heads with a rusty steak knife.

"Waterboarding" is actually controlled by the terrorist.  All they have to do to avoid it is stop killing innocent people at random. 

Oh, pi-ckee-e!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

Oh, pi-ckee-e!

I know!  MSB, you're splitting hairs!  :p
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.