Author Topic: Supreme Court to Hear Case on Constitutionality of Lethal Injection  (Read 8018 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
WASHINGTON —  At 8:23 p.m. local time on Sept. 25, 2007, Michael Richard was pronounced dead inside the execution chamber at the Texas State Penitentiary in Huntsville. The United States hasn't held an execution since.

Just a few days after Richard's death, the U.S. Supreme Court announced it would hear a challenge to the way executions like Richard's are carried out. That case will be heard Monday.

The hearing will weigh whether the nearly universal three-chemical mix used to execute condemned prisoners is constitutional. The court's decision could determine whether a de facto moratorium on the death penalty continues.

Since the court announced it would take the case, it has intervened several times to grant last-minute stays. States across the country have followed suit.

Monday's arguments in front of the high court is the most significant death penalty case in years. The issue presented does not address the constitutionality of the death penalty itself, but rather the method by which nearly all executions in the U.S. are currently performed.

The case, Baze v. Rees, comes out of Kentucky, which is one of 36 states that provides for capital punishment as its most severe criminal sentence. New Jersey's governor last month signed legislation prohibiting the death penalty, and the state has since cleared its death row, returning prisoners to general lock-up.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320527,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: Supreme Court to Hear Case on Constitutionality of Lethal Injection
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »
What ever happened to hangin'?
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
Apparently it offends convicted criminals and liberals.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder if this would mean a change in the type of cocktail they use to execute or the end of the death penalty all together. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »
Apparently it offends convicted criminals and liberals.

That's crap.
nine eleven is a car

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »
Well if they don't like the needle...I'm all for returing to the Electric Chair...firing squad...hanging.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »
Well if they don't like the needle...I'm all for returing to the Electric Chair...firing squad...hanging.

Bring back Ol' Sparky!
nine eleven is a car

Offline ToastedRachel

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:42:06 PM »
What about starving them to death? Weren't we told it causes "euphoria"?  :whatever:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 12:32:48 AM »
What about starving them to death? Weren't we told it causes "euphoria"?  :whatever:

:werd:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 05:54:39 AM »

Bring back Ol' Sparky!

Just make sure you've got a can of this:

Or This:

Before you hit the switch.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
this is why elections matter. The next POTUS will probably have to fill some vacant seats on the Court. Oy!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 10:21:22 AM »
this is why elections matter. The next POTUS will probably have to fill some vacant seats on the Court. Oy!!!

Probably?  I can practically promise you two will retire immediately if a democrat cheats his or her way into the White House.  They are barely hanging on by a thread now.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »
yeah, I'm being generous aren't I?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »

it is alleged that it is "too painful".  wouldn't someone have to survive before you could ask them if it hurt? ::)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 05:42:29 PM »

it is alleged that it is "too painful".  wouldn't someone have to survive before you could ask them if it hurt? ::)

Or you could ask anyone who had major surgery how much they remember about being on the operating table.  Same thing. 

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »

It was good enough for Saddam!
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »

Or you could ask anyone who had major surgery how much they remember about being on the operating table.  Same thing. 

well, maybe slightly different.  the person recovering from surgery has a 1 in a million chance of remembering something.  the person that just had lethal injection, uh, doesn't.