Author Topic: Prayer requests  (Read 107708 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Prayer requests
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2008, 08:12:36 PM »
Prayers sent, MM.   :( 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »
I have a triple request right now:

1.  My aunt Freida:  She found out last Friday she has a grapefruit sized tumor on one of her kidneys.  The good news is they don't think it spread, but she'll find out more tomorrow.  Please pray for her.

2.  Also last week, my aunt Freida's mother-in-law died.  Mrs. Brasseaux was a very lovely lady.  My aunt's family is suffering not only from the death, but also the news of Freida's ill health.  Please keep them in your prayers. 

3.  I learned today that my Grandpa has prostate cancer.  It's slow growth, so the doctor says this won't kill him.  Please pray for him as well.

Thank you. 

This makes me sad, sorry you have so much going on all at once. Lifting this up in prayer to our Lord.

"Be strong, courageous, and firm; be not in terror before them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you; He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
Keeping you in ours Mia.

Hope your family stays strong in the days to come. :(

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »

1.  My aunt Freida:  She found out last Friday she has a grapefruit sized tumor on one of her kidneys.  The good news is they don't think it spread, but she'll find out more tomorrow.  Please pray for her.

2.  Also last week, my aunt Freida's mother-in-law died.  Mrs. Brasseaux was a very lovely lady.  My aunt's family is suffering not only from the death, but also the news of Freida's ill health.  Please keep them in your prayers. 

3.  I learned today that my Grandpa has prostate cancer.  It's slow growth, so the doctor says this won't kill him.  Please pray for him as well.

Thank you. 

Prayers sent, MM. And I really don't like when they are dismissive of the elderly's health complaints either, but I don't want to get on a tangent.  :thatsright:

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2008, 10:54:01 AM »

Thank you. 

Prayers sent, MM. And I really don't like when they are dismissive of the elderly's health complaints either, but I don't want to get on a tangent.  :thatsright:

I talked to my best friend last night about it.  She's a doctor but doesn't know anything about prostate cancer.  She said "I don't see that in my patients."  I said "damn you and your being a pediatrician!"  LOL 

I did some checking around on Web MD and it does appear that a watchful waiting is the best thing to do in men over 70.  The side effects of chemo/radiation/surgery would be more harmful at this stage in his life.  Also, it said that prostate cancer grows very slowly.  He has a physical every 6 months, so I assume they caught this pretty early on.

Oh and his lady friend would have made sure he got a second opinion as well.  His doctor is very dismissive.  He was the same way when my grandmother was sick for so many years.  And my aunt's mother used to go to him as well, (she's passed on) but he treated her the same way about her problems. 

I'll be down there next weekend and see what my grandpa has to say about things. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2008, 11:05:21 AM »

Thank you. 

I talked to my best friend last night about it.  She's a doctor but doesn't know anything about prostate cancer.  She said "I don't see that in my patients."  I said "damn you and your being a pediatrician!"  LOL 

I did some checking around on Web MD and it does appear that a watchful waiting is the best thing to do in men over 70.  The side effects of chemo/radiation/surgery would be more harmful at this stage in his life.  Also, it said that prostate cancer grows very slowly.  He has a physical every 6 months, so I assume they caught this pretty early on.

Oh and his lady friend would have made sure he got a second opinion as well.  His doctor is very dismissive.  He was the same way when my grandmother was sick for so many years.  And my aunt's mother used to go to him as well, (she's passed on) but he treated her the same way about her problems. 

I'll be down there next weekend and see what my grandpa has to say about things. 

Ok, good to know. At least they have you on their side looking out for them and grandpa sounds like he's got some other folks too who care about his health. Love him up, Mia.  :-*

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 11:17:34 AM »
Ok, good to know. At least they have you on their side looking out for them and grandpa sounds like he's got some other folks too who care about his health. Love him up, Mia.  :-*

When I talked with one of my aunts yesterday, getting my daily update, she thinks that the aunt with cancer will probably still be in the hospital in Houston next weekend.  But she was like "Grandpa will be so excited that you're coming down."

My two aunts there (the one I talk to almost daily and the one with cancer) are like hawks over my grandpa.  They go to lunch all together every Friday and usually go to all his doctor appointments with him so they'll know what's what.  I think this last go around, I believe his lady friend, Abigail, went with him.

When he had his triple bypass a couple of years ago, it was very shocking.  I mean in the back of my head, I know he's old (88 now) and I mean I know he's not immortal.  It's just going to be very rough when he passes.  I love that old man.  He's a great man, and they just aren't made like he is any more. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 11:23:16 AM »

When I talked with one of my aunts yesterday, getting my daily update, she thinks that the aunt with cancer will probably still be in the hospital in Houston next weekend.  But she was like "Grandpa will be so excited that you're coming down."

My two aunts there (the one I talk to almost daily and the one with cancer) are like hawks over my grandpa.  They go to lunch all together every Friday and usually go to all his doctor appointments with him so they'll know what's what.  I think this last go around, I believe his lady friend, Abigail, went with him.

When he had his triple bypass a couple of years ago, it was very shocking.  I mean in the back of my head, I know he's old (88 now) and I mean I know he's not immortal.  It's just going to be very rough when he passes.  I love that old man.  He's a great man, and they just aren't made like he is any more. 

I understand completely, Mia. If my grands had lived, they would all be around the same age now. I lost my last 2 in 2003 at the age of 81(for both of them). Never easy and I think of them all often. I don't know if our older folks understand how valuable they are to us. I'm sure you grandpa will know it when you come to see him.  :-*

Offline terry

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2008, 09:11:12 AM »
A prayer request for a dear friend, her daughter and her grandbaby.. Hope

Ruth is the Executive Director of Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Network,  I am the pres of our local affiliate.   I have known her on-line since 1999.   I can't tell the story any better than she did so I will share her message.

My dear friends,

I'm writing to share with you the miracle of the birth of Hope Isabella, born yesterday at 12:46 pm at Georgetown University Hospital, Washington DC. Little Hope arrived at 25 weeks gestation and weighs 1 pound 9 ounces.

Little Hope is truly 'Naomi's Hope,' (www.hope4acure.net). As so many of you are aware, my daughter Naomi is a 2 time cancer survivor.  Diagnosed initially in 1987 with acute myelogenous leukemia, she was one of the first children to survive a bone marrow transplant.  Treated with intensive chemotherapy, as well as total body radiation, Naomi had been told that she would be sterile.

Thirteen weeks ago, Naomi learned that she was 12 weeks pregnant. She had actually thought that she had cancer again and had booked a radioactive scan to see if her second cancer had returned. Routinely, she was required to take a pregnancy test, and low and behold, she was already past her first trimester.

It was quickly determined that this was going to be a very complicated and high risk pregnancy as a result of secondary late effects from the cancer treatments that Naomi received as a little girl.  This turned out to be the case. It was determined that she had a very shortened cervix as a result of the radiation she received when 7 years of age.  She had a cerclage placed at 16 weeks gestation.  Her already high blood pressure continued to climb so she was put on beta blockers and calcium blockers. She required monthly echocardiograms due to cardiomyopathy from her previous chemo. She required weekly blood draws to check thyroid levels due to her second cancer (papillary thyroid carcinoma), and bi-weekly ultrasounds. At 23 weeks gestation she was hospitalized as she had completely effaced.  Last Monday, at 24 weeks, her water broke, and yesterday at 25 weeks gestation, little Hope arrived.  It is believed that she came early due to uterine vascular insufficiency, as well as a uterine infection from the cerclage.

The neonatologists who are caring for little Hope say that she's a feisty little one.  She does have an infection in her lungs, is on a trach, and is being fed through her umbilical cord.  That said, she's beautiful!  She has a full head of black hair (like her mother Naomi had when she was born), and immediately after being born opened her eyes and was looking all around. Her little feet are the same length as Naomi's thumb print.

As each of you know only too well, this little one is a gift that Naomi never dreamed would happen in her life. But like Naomi, she's too is having to fight for her life as a result of the late effects of cancer treatments from Naomi's life as a little girl.  Once again, this little life emphasized the need for continued research towards less toxic therapies to treat our nation’s littlest cancer patients.

... where there is life, there is hope...

Ruth

Offline Flame

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2008, 08:33:24 AM »
Wow, Terry, what a story!  Little Hope and her mama are in my prayers!

(and as an aside, any lions lately?,  I think about you guys a lot!)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »
Terry, I'll be sure to keep them in my prayers. 
Stink Eye

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »
I have an update on my family.

My grandpa is very much okay with his possibly having prostate cancer.  On the 10th he goes into have his biopsy.  He's got a few options on treatments, and it currently deciding on which course of action to take.  As he said "I've lived a good long life," so he's at peace if it's cancer.

My aunt, they postponed her tests in Houston.  They are going to do some more testing this week.  They haven't done a biopsy, because if they did the kidney cancer then spreads like a wild fire.  It's been upgraded from grapefruit to pineapple sized tumor on her kidney.  She's also handling everything very well.  Her doctor told her he's never seen a tumor this size not be cancer and she said "well, I can always be the first."  Oh, and she said she hopes it weight at least 5 lbs, because that's what she's been trying to lose lately.  LOL

Please, everyone please keep them both in your thoughts. 
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »

My grandpa is very much okay with his possibly having prostate cancer.  On the 10th he goes into have his biopsy.  He's got a few options on treatments, and it currently deciding on which course of action to take.  As he said "I've lived a good long life," so he's at peace if it's cancer.

My aunt, they postponed her tests in Houston.  They are going to do some more testing this week.  They haven't done a biopsy, because if they did the kidney cancer then spreads like a wild fire.  It's been upgraded from grapefruit to pineapple sized tumor on her kidney.  She's also handling everything very well.  Her doctor told her he's never seen a tumor this size not be cancer and she said "well, I can always be the first."  Oh, and she said she hopes it weight at least 5 lbs, because that's what she's been trying to lose lately.  LOL

Good attitudes are the best defense.

Prayers offered for your family.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline terry

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »
Wow, Terry, what a story!  Little Hope and her mama are in my prayers!

(and as an aside, any lions lately?,  I think about you guys a lot!)

Thank you, Flame.  I wish I had an update on little Hope but there is no news yet.  I hope no news is good news.

The lions are always with me.   Thank you for your prayers and thoughts. 

Offline terry

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »

Prayers for your family, Mia.  My uncle had prostate cancer for years, it was very slow growing.   He ultimately passed away from something else.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »
Please pray for the family of Chaplain (LTC) Larry Blum.

He succumbed today to brain cancer.

He was my Chaplain during my tour to Iraq with 1st Armored Division.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
Prayers sent, Sarge.  :(

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2008, 10:30:51 PM »

God rest his soul.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2008, 05:05:20 AM »

God rest his soul.

Done and Done!

If you could, please keep my wife in your prayers. She's having an operation today to remove part a gland in her face. It's a minor surgery. I'd appreciate if you could say a prayer that KEEPS it minor.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2008, 05:33:02 AM »

Prayers sent, Sarge.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2008, 06:09:36 AM »

God rest his soul.

Done and Done!

If you could, please keep my wife in your prayers. She's having an operation today to remove part a gland in her face. It's a minor surgery. I'd appreciate if you could say a prayer that KEEPS it minor.

Consider it done. Wishing her the very best.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2008, 07:48:34 PM »

Done and done. 
Stink Eye

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »

Done and done. 

Placed. Please tell his family American thanks them for his service!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2008, 11:29:47 PM »
Update on my aunt.

So far with all the testing, it appears that her cancer has not spread past her kidney and adrenal gland.  Surgery is scheduled for August 8th, and she's expected to be in ICU for a week, with recovery lasting 6-8 weeks, as long as there aren't any complications.

Please, keep her in your prayers.  Her tumor is "pineapple" sized. 
Stink Eye

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »
I would like to ask you all to keep my brother in your prayers. This is the one who has been diabetic since he was little and fought his way through a bad car accident a few years back on dialysis, but able to walk again. He had a mild heart attack last night. He's 32 years old. Unfortunately, because of his other health conditions, I think this is a just another sign of the inevitable that is coming probably in the next few years.  :bawl:

I feel really helpless and can't make the trip to Florida right now to see him.  :banghead: :bawl:

Please pray for him. Next to my children, my brothers mean the world to me. This really hurts to keep seeing his health decline.

Mia, I'll continue to keep your aunt in my prayers. I hope she makes a full recovery and will hear the words 'cancer free' someday.