Author Topic: 12-year-old charged with killing toddler with bat  (Read 6940 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
12-year-old charged with killing toddler with bat
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
...The boy, who was arraigned in juvenile court Sunday, had been left alone with his 10-year-old brother and a 17-month-old girl at a Lauderhill home on Friday, authorities said. The 12-year-old became upset because the toddler was making noise while he was trying to watch TV.

The 12-year-old grabbed a baseball bat and struck the little girl several times in the head, according to Lauderhill police spokesman Lt. Mike Cochran.

... The boy is charged as juvenile at this time and is being held in juvenile detention. Judge Martin Dishowitz found enough reason on Sunday to keep the boy locked up despite the his family's plea to release him. In court, the boy's family argued that he has no previous history of violence or criminal record.

''He's not a violent kid,'' his mother said. ``He's afraid of the police.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/466/story/369053.html

Shocking story, but that comment by his mother was unbelievable.  :(

Offline Flame

Re: 12-year-old charged with killing toddler with bat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »
I have a 12 yr old son...don't think I'd leave him in charge of a 17 mth old.  He's a good kid, it's just..he's 12.  His brain has't grow in all the way, and he doesn't always make the best decisions.

Of course, my sister has left her youngest in the charge of her son, when the youngest was an infant and the son was 10, so what do I know?

Sad sad situation.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:41:28 PM »
I suppose it depends on the child, a responsible 12 year old for a short period of time such as the adult going to a neighbours house briefly for example is one thing, but for an extended period of time, even some adults find that stressfull.  But to pick up a bat? If you know your child has that sort of a short fuse then it is just asking for trouble to leave them to babysit one, let alone two, younger children.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
I suppose it depends on the child, a responsible 12 year old for a short period of time such as the adult going to a neighbours house briefly for example is one thing, but for an extended period of time, even some adults find that stressfull.  But to pick up a bat? If you know your child has that sort of a short fuse then it is just asking for trouble to leave them to babysit one, let alone two, younger children.
I suspect the "he isn't a violent kid" remark is CYA.  Someone who picks up a bat when he is irritated has done so (or something similar) in the past.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »
Crap, that is just terrible.   :censored:
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:03:10 PM »
I have to wonder if he wasn't on ADD/ ADHD meds.......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:13:16 PM »

Agreed.  I did some babysitting when I was twelve where the parents were home, but needed to do something without the baby underfoot, and it never would have crossed my mind to hurt a child for any reason.  I can't think of how a 12 year old would think that beating a toddler with a bat was a reasonable response.  Seems like he must have some sort of anger management issue. 

Offline Flame

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:37:46 PM »
I was babysitting at 12, too.

And I don't think for a second that my 12 yr old would HURT a baby, but just that his brain sometimes doesn't engage, ya know?
He's more the type to get so engrossed in what he watching on TV that he wouldn't notice the baby getting into something.

Offline MASHLover

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 06:42:06 AM »
When I read this I just shook my head.  This kid obviously had some sort of anger issues and I wonder how the parents could have missed this, and if they did know WHY IN THE HELL did they let him babysit.  The sad part is this kids life is ruined no matter the outcome of this case.  He will ALWAYS know that he killed a child and no amount of counseling, medication, intervention will ever erase this fact from his mind.

formerly Striker

Offline ToastedRachel

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 06:47:14 AM »
I just heard this on the radio. What a freaking nightmare.

Offline foxworthy

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Beginning Fresh
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 07:38:53 AM »
Anger issues?   Using a bat on a baby?   This kid is seriously screwed up.    I  think by 12 you know way better than that, so this kid needs to be separated from the rest of us.

Also, what kind of parent did this kid have, that he was such a keg of dynamite?   And what kind of parent wouldn't notice there was some kind of problem going on here?   Let alone leave the two of them alone together?
When the game is over, both the pawn and the king are put away in the same box

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 07:50:25 AM »
"He's afraid of the police.''
That should send up a red flag right there.  Why would a 12 yr old be afraid of the police?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline foxworthy

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Beginning Fresh
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
My boy when he was 12 was given lots of responsibility.  He did a better job than I did.  Depends on the kid.  I had very good reason for being able to trust mine.

I bet there was a lot of very good reasons not to trust this one, but she wanted to go out.

I would like to charge her with something too.
When the game is over, both the pawn and the king are put away in the same box

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 08:56:40 AM »
"He's afraid of the police.''
That should send up a red flag right there.  Why would a 12 yr old be afraid of the police?

That sent up a red flag for me too.  A kid might have some healthy respect and be slightly intimidated by the police, but I don't think it is normal to be afraid of the police. 

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »
My boy when he was 12 was given lots of responsibility.  He did a better job than I did.  Depends on the kid.  I had very good reason for being able to trust mine.

I bet there was a lot of very good reasons not to trust this one, but she wanted to go out.

I would like to charge her with something too.

I agree with you and your first post.

There's no way this parent didn't know that the 12 year old wasn't fit to be watching a 17 month old  :mental:, and you're right, this kid needs to be seperated from the rest of us.

This mother needs to be held accountable as well.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama