Author Topic: Egypt let converts revert to Christianity on ID  (Read 2389 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Egypt let converts revert to Christianity on ID
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:15:42 PM »

CAIRO - An Egyptian court in an ‘historic decision’ on Saturday authorised 12 converts to Islam who then reverted to Christianity to have their original faith marked on their ID cards, judicial sources said.

They said the court allowed the Coptic plaintiffs to mark ‘Christian’ on their compulsory identity cards, in place of the ‘Muslim’ mention which was used after their conversion.

But their IDs will have to specify that they had ‘adopted Islam for a brief period’, the sources said.

The court of administrative justice ruled that the mention would ‘prevent any manipulation or concealment with judicial or social consequences’ following the conversion to Islam.

‘This is an historic decision, a victory for freedom of religion in Egypt and in keeping with Article 46 of the constitution which calls for freedom of religion,’ the plaintiff’s lawyer Ramses Al Naggar told AFP.

The verdict was greeted with applause among the plaintiffs and their lawyers and other Coptic onlookers in the courtroom, many of whom cried out, ‘Long live justice.’

Naggar said it would set a precedent for many such cases in Egypt.

‘I have won my identity back. I am alive again,’ said Yasser Helmi, a 27-year-old man among the plaintiffs. ‘I couldn’t get an identity card and my life had ground to a halt.’

Helmi said his father had converted to Islam, without the knowledge of his wife and son who was a child at the time.

link

Offline djones520

Re: Egypt let converts revert to Christianity on ID
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:14:37 AM »
Cool for these guys.  But that whole system is messed up.  They will only issue you a national ID card if your are a Muslim, Christian, or Jew.  Atheists, Hindu's, Buddhists, etc...  your tough outta luck.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."