Author Topic: Pitchers and catchers this week!  (Read 2101 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Pitchers and catchers this week!
« on: February 09, 2008, 07:26:14 AM »
Should be interesting--the Mariners did wonders for their pitching staff by signing Carlos Silva, and getting the best lefty not named Johan Santana (Erik Bedard).  Let's see . . . the A's traded Dan Haren to the Diamondbacks, and Haren will join Brandon Webb as onew of the best 1-2 combos in the NL (if not the best).  The A's may trade Joe Blanton to the Reds early next week.  The Dodgers picked up a great Japanese starter, whose name escapes me at the moment.  The Angels signed Torii Hunter (not a pitcher, but relevant anyways).  (I know that I'll be forgetting someone somewhere in all of this.)  The Rox stayed static, for the most part.  The Twins got a possible Gold-Glover from the Mets in Carlos Gomez, and Kevin Mulvey will be in the rotation in two years.  The Astros got Miguel Tejada, who was in the Mitchell Report . . . Anyway, going to the East, and I know damn well I'm missing a lot of moves, the Yankees signed Morgan Ensberg, Curt Schilling may be down for the season in Boston (Clay Buckholz will get Schilling's starting slot), and the Orioles added tons of prospects. in giving up Miggy and Bedard.  In the National League East . . . if you don't know about Johan Santana coming to the Mets, you've been living in a hinterland about seven days away from cell phone service.  Yeah, the Braves added Tom Glavine to their rotation, and Mike Hampton is 100% (duration--37.3 seconds), but the loss of Andruw Jones will hurt.  The Phillies . . . losing Aaron Rowand to the Giants will hurt more than Shane Victorino can cover for.  They got Brad Lidge, but he's been going downhill for the last two years, and pitching in the pinball machine known as Citizens' Bank Park isn't going to help.  Pedro Feliz . . . well, the Giants didn't want him, but he'll hit 30 HRs in CBP.

I know that I neglected quite a few teams in the Central divisions, but I really don't know that much about them, so . . .

Bring on Valentine's Day!   
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Re: Pitchers and catchers this week!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »
What is wrong with Schilling? ankle?

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:56:18 PM »
What is wrong with Schilling? ankle?

The rumor is it's the rotator cuff on his right arm.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:30:52 AM »
At least half the season, if he tries to rehab . . . the full season if he has surgery.  His doctor is recommending surgery.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.