Author Topic: A bouncy turned against the primitives.  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
A bouncy turned against the primitives.
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2837091

It starts with "So".. :-)

rMickeysMom  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 07:48 PM
Original message
So, I'm standing outside Friday's Catholic Church Fish Fry today collecting signatures...

... for a candidate I want on the ballot for the US Congressional primary. I did this tonight again after Ash Wednesday in 35 degree weather, cause I don't want to freeze my ass off Sunday when it's gonna be so much colder....

When, some old fella who didn't want to be asked by me, "Would you happen to be a Registered Democratic voter?", says in the most snotty manner he can-

"NNeeehhooooOOO! I'm NOT!!! I told you the other day I'm REPUBLICAN!"

This isn't a typical response to people I gather signatures from. Since the fish dinners smelled so good tonight, I quickly said, "I'm sorry", then thought to clarify, "no, not because you're republican, but because I missed remembering you."...

Then, after another 10 minutes, he exits with his take out meal (obviously not giving up nastiness for lent), and says.... """"HUH Whaaat... You think I'm gonna vote for HILLAREEEEE??" Yeaaaahhh, that's WRONG!" I swear to God, this guy could have done the Dana Carvy skit on Saturday Night Live.

So, I guess my observation is now, when I got back, ate dinner, spent time with my better half, and then get on DU (I've been campaigning others and myself after working this week and I'm tired as hell)... I see a BUNCH OF PEOPLE fouling up the threads and slinging shit at each other like they should have stepped outside of this old fart's car with him.

Will this quit soon?  Holy cow, I'm glad I'm actually not on here nearly as much anymore!

Bad dialog,obnoxious Republican,superiority complex......check

No conversion,no oppession,no leaving them silenced and dumbfounded with a single clever statement.....  :loser:

Offline Lord Undies

Re: A bouncy turned against the primitives.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »
Catholics are back to eating fish on Fridays?  I had no idea.  My catholic friends usually go to Outback or Roy's Chuckwagon on Friday nights.  I'll have to tell them about this.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »
When I worked for Ford, the cafeteria only served fish on Friday.  Good luck getting a hamburger.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:15:48 PM »
Catholics are back to eating fish on Fridays?  I had no idea.  My catholic friends usually go to Outback or Roy's Chuckwagon on Friday nights.  I'll have to tell them about this.

Depends, Catholics aren't monolithic but a lot of Catholic churches raise funds with Friday Fish Fries or Fish boils.  Growing up, my grandma always insisted on not eating meat on Friday.  She was a pre-Vatican II Catholic.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »

Depends, Catholics aren't monolithic but a lot of Catholic churches raise funds with Friday Fish Fries or Fish boils.  Growing up, my grandma always insisted on not eating meat on Friday.  She was a pre-Vatican II Catholic.

The practice never made any sense to me.  Fish is a meat too.  I think the Catholics should have gone with eggplant.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:06:13 PM »

The practice never made any sense to me.  Fish is a meat too.  I think the Catholics should have gone with eggplant.

Yeah, it never made sense to me either and I hated tartar sauce but that is the way it was and some younger Catholics are drifting back to the old ways or at least were a couple of years ago when Latin Mass was becoming popular again.

When something becomes a tradition the original reason for it becomes less important.  It becomes a cultural identity and people who never experienced it become nostalgic for it from the stories of their parents and grandparents.

My grandma used to make these great pastries for Fat Tuesday.  They had a Polish name and it was important that they were made with orange.  I kind of miss those, some where like donut holes and others were like deep fried bow ties.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »

Yeah, it never made sense to me either and I hated tartar sauce but that is the way it was and some younger Catholics are drifting back to the old ways or at least were a couple of years ago when Latin Mass was becoming popular again.

When something becomes a tradition the original reason for it becomes less important.  It becomes a cultural identity and people who never experienced it become nostalgic for it from the stories of their parents and grandparents.

My grandma used to make these great pastries for Fat Tuesday.  They had a Polish name and it was important that they were made with orange.  I kind of miss those, some where like donut holes and others were like deep fried bow ties.

Chrusciki

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/POLISH/Chrusciki.html

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 12:54:46 AM »

Chrusciki

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/POLISH/Chrusciki.html
Totally!  I'm glad I didn't try to spell it because I would have attempted K move, LOL.

Makes me wish I cooked.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline whiteguyPI

• That sounds like a "you" problem
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 02:33:15 AM »
I'm Catholic.  I don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent.  Partially it's habit, partially tradition, partially it makes me feel connected to my faith.  I call BS on this bouncy.
Haji don't surf!
Jive turkey!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 07:48:32 AM »
Minus-2 on the bouncy scale. They're not even trying anymore.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 08:57:14 AM »

History and sociology lessons, Demonic.

Everything that exists, exists for a reason, even if one doesn't understand the reason.

The thing about Roman Catholics having to eat fish on Fridays dates from just before the medieval era, and it came into being pretty much the same way the more-ancient Judiac tradition of scorning swine evolved.

Customs are not created by a bunch of old men sitting around a fire decreeing this or dictating that.

Customs spring from the collective subconscious, or from God instructing us on our best means of survival.

Either one.

Just as the ancient Jews decided it was probably a bad idea to dine on swine, without consciously understanding why (the eco-system of the Middle East, and how swine would have ravaged it if the Jews had developed a taste, and hence a market, for swine), the medieval Roman Catholics decided it probably was a pretty good idea to dine on fish occasionally, without consciously understanding why.

These collective subconscious ideas had to be made into "laws," and enforced.

There is no one here old enough to remember "goiters," but goiters at one time were an enormous and common hazard to health, causing all sorts of pretty bad ailments and premature deaths.  Goiters are an easy thing to avoid; a trace amount of iodine once in a while, and no goiters.

(Since the 1920s, Morton's table salt has included iodine, so the matter's moot any more.)

When I was younger, I knew an old retired country doctor (mostly Kansas), who had practiced during the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.  He had treated tens of thousands of patients, Kansas rustics.  All the patients he recalled having, that had goiters were.....Protestants.  He could not recall ever treating a Catholic for goiters.

There's a lot of customs that seem ridiculous to some--the ancient Egyptians making cats into gods or deities, the sacred cows of India--but these weren't customs created out of whim and caprice, just for the fun of it.  There was a reason those customs evolved, their end consequence being to help a particular society survive.

Call it "collective subconscious" or God instructing man in the best ways to survive; either one works.

All that exists, exists for a reasonable reason.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Vegasguy

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Husker Football
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 09:37:36 AM »
If not mistaken...I believe the Church... requires...asks..the observance of no meat Fridays only during Lent.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
If not mistaken...I believe the Church... requires...asks..the observance of no meat Fridays only during Lent.
I think that rule was removed as part of Vatican II.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »

I'm not sure.  I have Catholic friends that are my age and they don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent. 

According to this website it hasn't http://www.americancatholic.org/features/lent/faqle9902.asp

To sum up those requirements, Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. In addition, all Catholics 14 years old and older must abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all the Fridays of Lent.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:04:48 AM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:19 AM »
That rule still stands but only during Lent.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:08:57 AM by Toastedturningtidelegs »
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »
That rule still stands but only during Lent.

Thanks for the info.  I couldn't help but notice:

Abstinence forbids the use of meat, but not of eggs, milk products or condiments made of animal fat

I wonder if you can classify "steak" as a condiment... ;)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 10:25:22 AM »

History and sociology lessons, Demonic.

Everything that exists, exists for a reason, even if one doesn't understand the reason.

The thing about Roman Catholics having to eat fish on Fridays dates from just before the medieval era, and it came into being pretty much the same way the more-ancient Judiac tradition of scorning swine evolved.

Customs are not created by a bunch of old men sitting around a fire decreeing this or dictating that.

Customs spring from the collective subconscious, or from God instructing us on our best means of survival.

Either one.

Just as the ancient Jews decided it was probably a bad idea to dine on swine, without consciously understanding why (the eco-system of the Middle East, and how swine would have ravaged it if the Jews had developed a taste, and hence a market, for swine), the medieval Roman Catholics decided it probably was a pretty good idea to dine on fish occasionally, without consciously understanding why.

These collective subconscious ideas had to be made into "laws," and enforced.

There is no one here old enough to remember "goiters," but goiters at one time were an enormous and common hazard to health, causing all sorts of pretty bad ailments and premature deaths.  Goiters are an easy thing to avoid; a trace amount of iodine once in a while, and no goiters.

(Since the 1920s, Morton's table salt has included iodine, so the matter's moot any more.)

When I was younger, I knew an old retired country doctor (mostly Kansas), who had practiced during the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.  He had treated tens of thousands of patients, Kansas rustics.  All the patients he recalled having, that had goiters were.....Protestants.  He could not recall ever treating a Catholic for goiters.

There's a lot of customs that seem ridiculous to some--the ancient Egyptians making cats into gods or deities, the sacred cows of India--but these weren't customs created out of whim and caprice, just for the fun of it.  There was a reason those customs evolved, their end consequence being to help a particular society survive.

Call it "collective subconscious" or God instructing man in the best ways to survive; either one works.

All that exists, exists for a reasonable reason.

My past studies of Catholicism pointed at "no meat on Fridays" to be more about fasting, personal denial, and the Day of Crucifixion of Christ than anything dietary.   Some research even suggests its implementation had to do with collusion between the Vatican and  the Italian fishing industry.  Other sources claimed it was a form of penitence for the wealth, who could always afford meat.   I came to the conclusion no one knows exactly why the custom came to be.     I never was able to satisfy my curiosity about why fish is not considered a meat by the Catholic Church.  

The goiter issue is one close to my heart.  I had an aunt, my mother's sister, who died in 1953 (officially) from an enlarged thyroid goiter.  Her goiter was caused by cancer, a lymphocytic sort, which caused her body to stop producing a vital harmone necessary to keep her thyroid gland healthy.  

The absence of iodine in native soils did a lot to promote goiters as an unhealthy condition in some areas, but the lack of iodine is not the sole cause.  Historically, goiters have been a physical ailment of women almost 8 to 1 over men.   That has to do with the female hormonal "balancing act" being so much more fragile than men's.