Author Topic: primitives give tips  (Read 2042 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives give tips
« on: February 08, 2008, 07:41:36 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2836246

Oh my.

The large-proboscised primitive, the primitive who dislikes rural folk.

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 04:48 PM
Original message

Do you leave tips in tip jars?

We are now expected to leave a tip for the privilege of standing in line to get something to go. The first time I saw one, I thought whoever put it there was nuts. But it has become the norm in many places.

Do you suppose we'll next be seeing tip jars in dry cleaners, shoe stores, supermarkets, banks, and drive-thru windows? Perhaps we'll even start seeing "tip slots" on vending machines

So what do you think? Is it appropriate to leave tips in tip jars?

As usual, the primitives allege whatever makes the primitives look good, whether it's true or not.

islandmkl  (273 posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 04:49 PM
Response to Original message

1. if you can spare it, share it...money is tight all over

kineta  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 04:50 PM

2. I've had enough friends in low wage jobs making coffee or food to WANT to tip

WHEN CRABS ROAR (620 posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 04:51 PM

4. If they are low paid workers I aways do.

kerry-is-my-prez  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 04:51 PM

5. They don't get paid enough - I try to tip to make up for it.

gollygee  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 04:53 PM

8. I usually drop in the change like if it's $4.55, I leave the extra 45 cents.

no_hypocrisy  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 04:54 PM

9. At the farmers market I always tip the cashier. I know they get paid less than minimum wage and many customers forego the tipping. I tip whether or not they're cheerful or whatever. I put it down to the price of going there for affordable produce.

FarceOfNature  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 04:55 PM

11. having worked many service jobs, I tip almost anyone who gives me personal service.

When I worked to support myself at a lunch counter, the tip jars plus my hourly wage came out to about $10, the $3 or so from the jars was really nice because it was untaxed.

I honestly don't see the big deal. Tip if you like, don't if you don't feel it's warranted. While those minions behind the counter would really appreciate your 15 cents change they won't feel stiffed if you don't tip.

As a side note, I've noticed that locally owned and independently operated businesses tend to allow and encourage tip jars, while a lot of the big chains don't allow it. I guess they feel it might make them look as if they don't pay enough and they're employees are desparate and unprofessional, while small business owners are still connected enough to their employees that the tips are really a nice boon for their workers.

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 05:05 PM
Response to Reply #14

16. That's what I was hearing in some of the replies.

It's not wrong, and I'm not critisizing...

What's WRONG is the injustice at the front end of it!

I guess one could even say.... as long as we keep supporting the evil system with tip jars, the workers won't get to the point of revolt.

Selatius (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 05:05 PM

17. You're asking the wrong question. The question is why are workers so poorly compensated nowadays?

Wages haven't kept up with inflation for a long time now. In essence, many have been receiving pay cuts year after year without realizing the cuts. The tip jars are just a symptom of wider economic inequality in our society. Employers who put out tip jars are taking the cheap way out.

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 05:44 PM

30. Sure. Because those jars are put out by people who work for minimum wage and usually have no benefits.

What is the problem? As usual, DU is blaming the worker for conditions not of their making.

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 05:52 PM
Response to Reply #30

33. DU isn't blaming anyone for anything. This was nothing more than a question I posted about whether or not people leave tips in jars.

Don't turn a molehill into a mountain.

Then again, those who have to live off those tips don't see it as a molehill.

Hmmm.  Doug's ex-wife, who grew up under affluent circumstances, digs herself in deeper:

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 05:54 PM
Response to Reply #33

35. Those jars fed my family on many nights.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives give tips
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »
What is it with these people,they are like vampires always seeking the dark and despair.

Miserable excuse for an existence.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 08:09:34 PM by Carl »

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:02:20 PM »
I use to work Texas Stadium selling beer to the drunks as a fundraiser for the Lions Club or my grandson's skating team.  A percentage of the sales would go to the non-profit.  We would stick a tip jar up on the counter and make an extra three hundred dollars.  I remember doing this back during the horrible Clinton recession of 2000.  I guess the folks just felt sorry for us. 

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:20:56 PM »
bobbolink  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 05:05 PM
Response to Reply #14

16. That's what I was hearing in some of the replies.

It's not wrong, and I'm not critisizing...

What's WRONG is the injustice at the front end of it!

I guess one could even say.... as long as we keep supporting the evil system with tip jars, the workers won't get to the point of revolt.

This is the same idiotic mindset as the lout who exclaimed he doesn't donate to charity because it legitimizes it as an alternative to government entitlements.

The question is, why would they revolt if they're being taken care of? What does it matter the method? Why does it have to be some government-mandated program? Doesn't tip money spend as well as an extra buck-an-hour some government pogue mandates? What the HELL is this almost religious reverence for stolen and redistributed largesse from Da Gubmint?

It's nothing more than petty, spiteful, "stick it to The Man 'cause he's got more than me", hateful envy. Geez, grow the **** up, assholes.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »
And they are the ones who care so much about poor people and a tip jar outrages them.

They support forced charity but can't even put the 30 cents change from a cup of coffee to give to some min wage earner.  :whatever:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 07:31:32 AM »
Love the way the mention that the tip jars are not taxed, like taxes are a BAD thing.  Don't they realize some drug addict is counting on those tax dollars for their next fix??

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:07:38 AM »
What a bunch of dorks. Really, I could say something substantive to reply to this idiocy, but why bother. It's just ridiculous--the finding of issues where there are none. A tip jar allows not only for the employee to be paid a regular wage, but to also be rewarded for terrific service. I've seen people in baristas who I know are really working hard to make sure someone drops in that jar...most do. Good for them, they provided an added benefit that not only lines their pockets, but creates an atmosphere that ensures both they and the business owner will continue to be profitable and see customers come in that store over the many others like it that are available.

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »
This proves so much of what we've been saying. The DUmpmonkeys are cheap.

What I'd like to know is how they afford to go to resturants in this lousey * economy? 
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »
I've got an idea. Raise the already exorbitant prices by a couple of bucks and give the surly coffee baristas two-dollar raise.  I bet the poo would rally start flying over at the asylum over that.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 11:02:27 AM »
I have to say when I worked at Starbucks the tips were good.  We divide them at the end of the week based on hours worked.  I'd get an extra $2-$3 a hour, so it was always an extra $40. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »
I have to say when I worked at Starbucks the tips were good.  We divide them at the end of the week based on hours worked.  I'd get an extra $2-$3 a hour, so it was always an extra $40. 

My daughter serves at Cracker Barrel on the weekends.  She makes over a hundred dollars a day in tips.  That pays her apartment rent.  She likes to the work, too.  She's been doing it for years.

My daughter made $600.00 working Christmas Eve morning.  All her regulars were leaving big sums left and right.  One old man left her a $100.00.  She's sweet and cute and blonde, so the old men just love her.  She's 31, but she doesn't look it.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »

My daughter serves at Cracker Barrel on the weekends.  She makes over a hundred dollars a day in tips.  That pays her apartment rent.  She likes to the work, too.  She's been doing it for years.

My daughter made $600.00 working Christmas Eve morning.  All her regulars were leaving big sums left and right.  One old man left her a $100.00.  She's sweet and cute and blonde, so the old men just love her.  She's 31, but she doesn't look it.

Christmas shopping season was when we made the most.  Partly because it's the busiest time in the store in general, and also because our regulars would tip extra.  We had regulars that would put a $100 bill in the jar (we had this really tall jar) around Christmas. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
Quote from: DUmbass

Ah, the delusions of a would-be communist. It must not be medication day at the DUmp.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
I'm sure it's part of that evil conservative mentality but I've actually never thought of these jobs as a "bring home the bacon" kind of thing. I thought they were the ones you had in high school to pay for extras, or work your way through college jobs (because I always had roommates so expenses were shared), or second income jobs or pay for Christmas...things like that. I know a couple of single mothers who are waitresses but they work in real restaurants, sit down places with pretty decent tips (half of which they don't report). I never thought of them as "raising a family" kind of job, but if that's what you were doing, wouldn't you work hard at that job so you could move up...even Starbuck's needs a shift manager.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.