Author Topic: Oh the irony!!  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Oh the irony!!
« on: February 08, 2008, 06:15:39 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2836690

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 06:29 PM
Original message
WHEN will "progressives" stop dumping social change on the shoulders of poor folk????

Time after time, people who call themselves "progressive" and "liberal" and oh-so-concerned about poor folk betray themselves by fighting for measures that hurt ONLY poor people, and get very defensive when it's pointed out to them WHO they are hurting.

Now comes the latest:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com /

They won't let me quote from the article, but essentially it is about a proposal to charge .10 for EVERY grocery bag used. Now, who is this going to hurt? Not those who run to the store for a loaf of bread in their Hummer! You think THEY will change their habits?

No, it is in effect another tax on food for poor folk!

BECAUSE muddleclass people never stop to think about anyone besides themselves... it's all about them. They NEVER think what these things do to people who are already on the verge of hunger at all times.

The article proudly proclaims, "The only way you're going to change behavior, really, is to have a little ouch at the checkout.."

Well, now, little Barbie doll, isn't that just so sweeeeet. Have you paid ANY attention to the "ouches" poor folk are ALREADY dealing with/????

What the ****??

Supposed "progressives" who praise Clinton for his welfare deform that hurt so many! (How many are homeless are dead because of it?? Does it matter/)

Supposed "progressives" who keep proposing an "ouch" tax on gas, to "encourage" people to conserve. All the poor people I know have cut back to the point they are ready to fall off the edge! Yet, I don't see the Hummers cutting back! Study after study shows that those who use the most are those who would be least likely to "change their behavior".

Yet, "progressives" cling to this punitive shit.

WHAT THE HELL??

What does it take to get your awareness raised???

supernova  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 06:45 PM
Response to Reply #10
16. Sweet Jesus you are self-centered
   get your head out of your suburban smugness and look around you. Not everyone can afford to buy resuable bags. That's a fact. Not everyone can afford to be charged for bags. Not everyone has a place to keep reusable bags either. What if your home is a campfire at a major intersection? Resuable bags are just useless shit that you have to carry round.

originalpckelly (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 06:40 PM
Response to Reply #3
9. You may not understand this, but some people don't have any money to splurge.
   I've been on foodstamps, and we barely made it. I can't imagine how much harder it would have been to have to buy cloth bags, we never had enough money to do that. We were barely eating let alone paying for ****ing grocery bags.

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 06:42 PM
Response to Reply #3
12. I hope to gawd you find yourself in the shoes of really poor people very soon.
   It's the ONLY way you'll GET IT.

supernova  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 06:42 PM
Response to Reply #3
13. You don't have a clue
   Some days, .10 can make a difference between paying a bill or or not. Getting public transportation. Or not. Being able to give your kid lunch money. Or not.

If you don't think it does, you haven't been poor enough.

It's all these little mindless fees that add up for folks who don't have ANY extra to spare and are just getting by as it is.

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 06:44 PM
Response to Reply #6
15. And you're going to do what to help those who don't HAVE the extra????
   I ****ing don't believe the ignorance!

Get a ****ing clue!

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 06:50 PM
Response to Reply #18
21. then walk in my shoes and PAY all the fees you can.... and smile while you do it...
   You REALLY don't get it, do you???

Yes, change happens more by POSITIVE incentive.

But what the hell will it take for you to understand that all these taxes ar
e making life IMPOSSIBLE for people who don't have what you have???

bobbolink really seems to have anger issues.....as he/she whines about poverty while posting on an Internet forum which is a paid for luxury. :loser:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Oh the irony!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:20:28 PM »
supernova  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-08-08 06:42 PM
Response to Reply #3
13. You don't have a clue
   Some days, .10 can make a difference between paying a bill or or not. Getting public transportation. Or not. Being able to give your kid lunch money. Or not.

If you don't think it does, you haven't been poor enough.

It's all these little mindless fees that add up for folks who don't have ANY extra to spare and are just getting by as it is.

WTF?  There is a measuring stick on poverty now?  You must be this poor to ride this ride?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:59:18 PM »
Oh! Hey!  An anti-tax liberal!  I can be down with that! :evillaugh:
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 07:00:55 PM »
Oh yeah, if you juxtapose this one with the one that is for the over-taxed rich folk, I guess the over-taxed poor folk who don't want to, or can't afford to pay an extra ten cent tax on grocery bags should take their dimes and leave the country?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Where do these DUmmies live that they see people living by a fire on the street corner?  Isn't that against the law?  Where are these people who must decide between a dime plastic bag or lunch money for their children?  Why do only DUmmies see them?  Where are these poor people?  These unlucky folks don't need to be props and visual aids for DUmmies.  They need help!  Real help!

DUmmies, if you are really concerned about these poor folks, bring them out of hiding.  Conservatives will help them (not use them for political reasons to make as many people as possible believe they are in the shape they are in because of George W. Bush).   Conservatives don't need props.  We take action.  Conservatives actually change lives for the better.   

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 07:13:03 PM »
Where do these DUmmies live that they see people living by a fire on the street corner?  Isn't that against the law?  Where are these people who must decide between a dime plastic bag or lunch money for their children?  Why do only DUmmies see them?  Where are these poor people?  These unlucky folks don't need to be props and visual aids for DUmmies.  They need help!  Real help!

DUmmies, if you are really concerned about these poor folks, bring them out of hiding.  Conservatives will help them (not use them for political reasons to make as many people as possible believe they are in the shape they are in because of George W. Bush).   Conservatives don't need props.  We take action.  Conservatives actually change lives for the better.   

:clap:

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »

I always kind of think the DUmmies are describing themselves.  Or how they see themselves.  Still if it is a 10 cent tax and a liberal is against it, I say, good for him.  Or her.  It's a start.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »

I always kind of think the DUmmies are describing themselves.  Or how they see themselves.  Still if it is a 10 cent tax and a liberal is against it, I say, good for him.  Or her.  It's a start.
The first steps to the Dark Side.  Sales taxes first, then income taxes, then enviroweenies.. good GOOOD!

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »
My money says that most DUmmys think a dime bag means enough pot for the weekend.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »
 :bs:  I don't believe for a second that .10 keeps these folks from buying school lunches.  Those are FREE to the poor.  Care to try again?

I know several folks in my area that have the bills subsidized as well.  Care to try again?

This whole notion of these poor, poor folks living on the street is  :bs:  There are far too many social programs for this to be the case.  It is my opinion that most of those on the street are there because that is where they want to be OR they have mental disabilities.

Case in point is our friend bobbolink.  It is homeless because it wants to be.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Zeus

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
When "Poor folk" buy a pack of smokes over 50 percent of that price is Taxes. Cigs aint killing the "Poor folk" fast enough we need to raise them taxes some more.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.