Author Topic: The 100hp Law  (Read 3460 times)

Offline OkieJohn

• Probationary (Probie)
The 100hp Law
« on: February 08, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
Will the US, become the first nation to outlaw cars over 100hp?   California defends its groundbreaking vehicle global warming law. It’s such a small step from there to limit hp. Remember your drivers license is a privilege.  Does that privilege extend to the type of car you can drive?

I once owned a car with a three cylinder gasoline engine. The car was roomy, comfortable, averaged 55 miles a gallon at 70 + mph. The emissions from that engine were better than any, hybrid on the road today. It had only 88 hp, if I remember correctly.  (1987 Chevy Sprint 3 cyl Suzuki engine)

So how would this work?

Starting in 2009
1. Cars below 100hp would pay regular tag fees, and taxes.
2. Cars between 100 and 200hp would pay 3 x tags and fees .
3. Cars between 200 and 400hp would pay 5x tags and fees.
4. All cars 400hp and up would pay 10x tags and fees.
5. At the end of 5 years all cars over 100hp would be outlawed, and any car over 100hp would require a special Federal Hobby Class license and be limited to only 500 miles of roadway use per year.

All extra money collected would go for environmental improvements.  That means the money would be siphoned off for whatever the law makers wanted to use it for.

Well, there it is. What do you think?  The truth is we don’t really need 500 hp autos, we just want them. The fuel savings alone would improve the economy and air quality.  Or would it?  Hundreds of companies and tuners would go out of business.  Thousands of jobs would be lost.  How much would we be willing to give up for the “Greater Good”?

You think this can’t happen?  Fifty years ago, we never thought a state could dictate how cars were built. Suddenly cars were filled with power robbing smog control devices.  In the 80's we saw the 55mph speed limit.

Here is the first step, California’s Global Warming Emissions Law.

http://www.calcleancars.org/

As an automotive enthusiast, you spend hours trying to figure out how to make just one more horse power, or selection of that perfect gear ratio.  Perhaps you should spend a little time watching those politicians.  Do we really want to see 1200 Hp Corvettes removed from our streets?
http://www.patrickruffini.com/2008wire/pub/thatpoliticalblogre 

I posted this in an auto forum I frequent.  There were a lot of upset people at even the thought of such a thing happening.  I was called and idiot and several other choice names.

And then Hillary the Hun came to my rescue.

http://tinyurl.com/ysgg84

All you gots to do is think outside the box sometime.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: The 100hp Law
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »
OK, so taking money from people is gonna' stop global warming huh? Nope, they just thought up a reason to take more of the peoples money and the suckers fall for it every time.

That's The People's Republic of Kalifornia thinking right there.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »
OK, so taking money from people is gonna' stop global warming huh? Nope, they just thought up a reason to take more of the peoples money and the suckers fall for it every time.

That's The People's Republic of Kalifornia thinking right there.

But now we need laws to stop Global Cooling!  Time to increase the warming to stop the cooling!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
Well, folks like me can always go back to the 60's and build our own......we had a hell of a lot of fun doing it too.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline OkieJohn

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
Well, folks like me can always go back to the 60's and build our own......we had a hell of a lot of fun doing it too.....

doc

You will have to move to Okie land Doc.
We don't inspect cars . . . err we don't poke our noses in between a man and his automobile.

I think my 320hp turbo Miata is safe.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:02:28 PM »

doc

You will have to move to Okie land Doc.
We don't inspect cars . . . err we don't poke our noses in between a man and his automobile.

I think my 320hp turbo Miata is safe.

Well, I think my crowning achievement was successfully installing a supercharged 307 cu/in Chev V-8 in an Austin Healy 3000......keeping it on the ground was the biggest challenge....

doc

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
Well, I think my crowning achievement was successfully installing a supercharged 307 cu/in Chev V-8 in an Austin Healy 3000......keeping it on the ground was the biggest challenge....

doc

Mine was souping my 94 Toyota MR2 Turbo. I spent so much money on that thing my girlfriend told me that I should just install a rocket on it and get it over with. Wimmin just don't understand our play toys. Finally exceeded the limits of that 4 banger and blew the engine up. Then I started pulling off a lot of the performance stuff off after an engine rebuild. That thing would fly and anything over 120, it would start to lift up which was kinda scary.