Author Topic: 16-year-old builds electric truck for $6000  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
16-year-old builds electric truck for $6000
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
The electric engine uses the existing transmission and drivetrain (with a little work).  He is also doing the same conversion to a 1992 Toyota Tercel.  He says the truck has a 40-mile range and will run at 50 miles per hour. 

To start off, here's a picture of my truck before conversion to electric power. It's a 1988 Mazda B2200. It's somewhat rusty, but not too bad. It's got a lot of miles on it, so the engine smokes pretty badly (especially on startup), but the rest of the truck seems to be in good mechanical shape. This is pretty much ideal for a conversion.

The idea is to convert the truck to 100% electric power, as a zero emissions vehicle. This will be done by removing the dirty internal combustion engine components and installing an electric motor, batteries, etc. in their places.

My 1992 Toyota Tercel has been warmly welcomed to the garage, and is undergoing the conversion process. This great little car weighs right around 2000 lbs.- perfect for electric conversion. It came with a 5-speed and a 1.5L EFI engine.

Engine, exhaust, gas tank, etc. have all been removed. At this point I'm thinking I'll run a 144v system with 12v batteries. I may upgrade later on to 156 or higher- we'll see. I want to get "zippy" performance out of this thing. I'm currently waiting for the motor to arrive. Should be an impressive motor. It's another Kostov, only a little bit bigger. It's a 10.5" dia motor, vs. the 9" Kostov in my truck. It should be able to handle the amps a little better, not to mention putting out a lot more power!

http://greenflightev.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: 16-year-old builds electric truck for $6000
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:56:56 AM »
You know, there's a lot to be said for the old-fashioned (circa 1950-1970) Popular Mechanics "gee-whiz" stuff.

I'll bet this kid is one of them.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Re: 16-year-old builds electric truck for $6000
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:06:45 AM »
Battery technology seems to be what is holding everyone back...or I should say the lack off.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".