Author Topic: Former Guantánamo prisoner asks U.S. to review its founding ideals  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Holy hell.............

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2835461

NNN0LHI  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 01:48 PM
Original message
Former Guantánamo prisoner asks U.S. to review its founding ideals
 Advertisements [?]http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0206/p01s05-woaf.html

Former Guantánamo prisoner asks U.S. to review its founding ideals

Adel Hassan Hamad, who is suing the US government, claims that American values of freedom and democracy have been shaken.

KHARTOUM - Former Guantánamo prisoner Adel Hassan Hamad, who is suing the US government, claims that American values of freedom and democracy have been shaken.

It took US Army interrogators at Guantánamo Bay five years to reach the conclusion that Adel Hassan Hamad was exactly who he claimed to be: a hospital administrator in Pakistan. On December 11, 2007, they put him back on a military cargo plane, hooded and handcuffed, and sent him back to his home to Sudan. snip

"Most of the soldiers there, I doubted they could be from a great nation," Adam says. But sometimes he would meet an educated soldier, who would "deal with us quietly, kindly," until that soldier would be ordered to "change his style of treatment."

And there was the interrogator who, one day, started bringing Adam books from his own collection, books on European history and Western civilization, saying, "I can see you have the mind of a scholar."

Such glimpses of kindness were a source of hope for Adam, but these were overshadowed by the senselessness of his captivity. Adam later found out that US Army judges had decided to release him on Oct. 21, 2005, a decision that would not be carried out until Dec. 11, 2007. snip

Adam and Hamad both say that they hold no grudge against the American people, but want to be sure that Guantánamo and other military detention centers are shut down.

"We know that American society is a good society," Hamad says. "Our religion teaches us to treat those well who treat us badly."

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 01:51 PM
Response to Original message
1. The shame of it is enough to make you cry.
 I wonder if it's possible to get the Democratic contenders to pledge to shut down Gitmo.

What the hell is it with all the primitives crying lately?? Oh and beth STFU

thereismore  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-08-08 01:51 PM
2. Must be the Guantanamo reading materials, such as like, the US Constitution, dammit! nt

ixion  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-08-08 01:53 PM
3. Yeah, thanks to George W. bin Laden
 we've pretty much become just like China and Russia now.

:bird: Ixion
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline jukin

Re: Former Guantánamo prisoner asks U.S. to review its founding ideals
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »

The stupid is strong in this one, the dark hating side.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »
Amazing that the DUmp automatically confers so much unqualified credibility on these former terror suspects, yet automatically are skeptical or out and out disbelieving of their own countrymen. Well, perhaps "amazing" isn't an accurate term as much as "disgusting", since in order to be amazed, their behavior would need to be somewhat novel, and it's just business as usual at The Hive.

They sure do love to nuzzle the crotches of anyone even vaguely anti-American. Perhaps they should ask these ex-prisoners what the "founding ideals" of their own country are, and how they treat their own incarcerated.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline whiteguyPI

• That sounds like a "you" problem
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 02:51:43 AM »
Hey Terrorist Hamad...you can suck a fart out of my ass.   :bird:
Haji don't surf!
Jive turkey!

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 03:39:08 AM »

Bullshit  :bird:
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.