Author Topic: Canada: "Political leaders should be jailed for questioning Global Warming"  (Read 17276 times)

Offline Lauri

Should Political Leaders be Jailed for Questioning Global Warming?
By Noel Sheppard | February 7, 2008 - 10:33 ET
Should it be against the law to disagree with an as yet unproven scientific theory?

A Canadian scientist and high-profile television personality thinks so, and has called for the jailing of political leaders that ignore the junk science behind the anthropogenic global warming myth.

It appears the witch hunt has moved from calling non-believers "deniers" to the burning phase, which is comically ironic if you think about it long enough.

While you search for the not so subtle pun, Canada's National Post reported Thursday (h/t NBer landshark, emphasis added throughout):

Story Continues Below Ad ↓
David Suzuki has called for political leaders to be thrown in jail for ignoring the science behind climate change.

At a Montreal conference last Thursday, the prominent scientist, broadcaster and Order of Canada recipient exhorted a packed house of 600 to hold politicians legally accountable for what he called an intergenerational crime. Though a spokesman said yesterday the call for imprisonment was not meant to be taken literally, Dr. Suzuki reportedly made similar remarks in an address at the University of Toronto last month.

[...]

Toward the end of his speech, Dr. Suzuki said that "we can no longer tolerate what's going on in Ottawa and Edmonton" and then encouraged attendees to hold politicians to a greater green standard.

"What I would challenge you to do is to put a lot of effort into trying to see whether there's a legal way of throwing our so-called leaders into jail because what they're doing is a criminal act," said Dr. Suzuki, a former board member of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.

Amazing, wouldn't you agree? Yet, for those actually interested in real science and not the inflammatory hyperbole folks like Suzuki and Nobel Laureate Al Gore are disingenuously peddling, the following statement by the Canadian was quite telling:

"It's an intergenerational crime in the face of all the knowledge and science from over 20 years."

And therein lies the problem, Doctor: all you folks advancing this myth are only interested in recent statistics and data.

By contrast, those truly researching climate choose to look at numbers and measurements through the millenia to reach conclusions about how today's weather-related observations compare to the past.

You should try it sometime, Doctor. It's called "Science."

—Noel Sheppard is an economist, business owner, and Associate Editor of NewsBusters.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/02/07/should-political-leaders-be-jailed-questioning-global-warming

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
They make Copernicus weep.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lauri

I want to see someone put a large stethoscope on the sun...  :popcorn:

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Facts: The Anti-moonbat
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Suzuki has a long history of being dead wrong, as I recall he first came to public visibility due to spearheading the effort to keep the US from launching a deep space probe with radioisotopic batteries, since it would no doubt explode at the worst possible time and poison the entire northern hemisphere, which strangely does not seem to have happened, fortunately a majority of the people in the US Government at the time were sane.

I am quite sick of seeing him on every other science program, he is a total video whore and I can only assume the Canadian government must kick in grant money to producers who use him and enough other stray Canadian psuedo-scientists to qualify in their productions.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
The witch hunt continues. They'd burn us all at the stake, but think of all the carbon!!!!  :censored:

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
I posted an article of how Global Warming could benefit ptarmigans. They did survive the last Ice Age, which was something in the past millions of years. Also, they did survive the Great Ptarmigan/Rabbit War, despite being slaughtered in the billions.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I posted an article of how Global Warming could benefit ptarmigans. They did survive the last Ice Age, which was something in the past millions of years. Also, they did survive the Great Ptarmigan/Rabbit War, despite being slaughtered in the billions.

The last ice age ended only about 10,000 years ago, I believe, followed not much later by the earliest agriculture and around 6,000 years ago the first artifacts of metal-working.  They think the Ptarmigan/Bunny bloodletting was done entirely with flint weapons and clubs, the horrors of which have come down to the present day in seemingly-harmless remnant phrases that have nothing to do with their terrifying origins, such badminton and Bunny Clubs.

Offline Lauri

Suzuki has a long history of being dead wrong, as I recall he first came to public visibility due to spearheading the effort to keep the US from launching a deep space probe with radioisotopic batteries, since it would no doubt explode at the worst possible time and poison the entire northern hemisphere, which strangely does not seem to have happened, fortunately a majority of the people in the US Government at the time were sane.

I am quite sick of seeing him on every other science program, he is a total video whore and I can only assume the Canadian government must kick in grant money to producers who use him and enough other stray Canadian psuedo-scientists to qualify in their productions.

they have this guy... we have Gore.. :-)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies

The last ice age ended only about 10,000 years ago, I believe, followed not much later by the earliest agriculture and around 6,000 years ago the first artifacts of metal-working.  They think the Ptarmigan/Bunny bloodletting was done entirely with flint weapons and clubs, the horrors of which have come down to the present day in seemingly-harmless remnant phrases that have nothing to do with their terrifying origins, such badminton and Bunny Clubs.

Humans found flint weapons and clubs along ptarmigan and rabbit carcasses. Also, they used energy based weapons and guns. Mostly, it was close range fightings with clubs and flint weapons. Humans saw it and recorded it. However, all the bunnies destroyed the record, so there is no record of it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:14:33 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Humans found flint weapons and clubs along ptarmigan and rabbit carcasses. Also, they used energy based weapons and guns. Mostly, it was close range fightings with clubs and flint weapons. Humans saw it and recorded it. However, all the bunnies destroyed the record, so there is no record of it.

But they left us beer, so all was not lost.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

But they left us beer, so all was not lost.

The megafauna would probably still be around, if not for the ptarmigans trying to hide behind them when the rabbits got the momentary edge in particle beam weapon technology.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
That's what we want you to think.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Nick Schizen

• Probationary (Probie)

Tanker,

Are you sure about that???

It has been my understanding that we are "still" comming out of the ice age and that we have quite a way to go still.

Years back I worked on "R.I.S.P." in Antarctica and we found some samples of plantlife that had been buried for quite a long time under the ice. (Ross Ice Shelf Project)

I myself have no deffinate answers on anything, but I do believe that Antarctica was once a pretty green place. It could be that something like a metor impacted the planet and maybe there was a violent shift in the orbit around the sun that had some contributing factors to the ice age. Maybe it isn't the only ice age that this planet has seen?

The big question is, "Is it really getting warmer"?............... and it's companion question is "Why"?

I really don't know one soul on this planet who can honestly and with 100% certainty answer the first one, and with that being the case the second one is impossible.

There are many factors that can attribute to this planet getting warmer or colder.

Back in the 70's there was groups of scientists who swore up and down that we should all lay in a supply of parkas and long johns. Today some of the same "guessers" are now saying that bechfront property will be shortly at about 300 to 500 foot above sea level as we know it now.

The sun goes in some strange cycles as does the tilt of the earth. I believe that there are just way too many cosmic variables for anyone to figure out what is actually happening today, tomorrow or next month..................... let along years from now.

I believe that if science has progressed to the point where we could predict global climactic change them we would have long ago been able to predict whether or not it's gonna rain next week and in a lot of cases even tomorrow!

But that's just my opinion and after all I will only admit to the fact that I don't know everthing and in most cases not much of anything.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Back in the 70's there was groups of scientists who swore up and down that we should all lay in a supply of parkas and long johns. Today some of the same "guessers" are now saying that bechfront property will be shortly at about 300 to 500 foot above sea level as we know it now.

Myth. The theory of global cooling which gained publicity in the 1970s had almost no support in the scientific community and was mostly media driven.

I believe that if science has progressed to the point where we could predict global climactic change them we would have long ago been able to predict whether or not it's gonna rain next week and in a lot of cases even tomorrow!

We can predict climate with much greater certainty than weather because climate is more predictable than weather. For instance, we can predict that winter will be over soon and that it will be followed by spring and then summer and then fall... and so on.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:40:38 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

Myth. The theory of global cooling which gained publicity in the 1970s had almost no support in the scientific community and was mostly media driven.

We can predict climate with much greater certainty than weather because climate is more predictable than weather. For instance, we can predict that winter will be over soon and that it will be followed by spring and then summer and then fall... and so on.

I hate to break it to you, but they could do that thousands of years ago.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned

Right... Even primitive man could predict the changing of the seasons and that fact serves to demonstrate that climate is more predictable than weather.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

Right... Even primitive man could predict the changing of the seasons and that fact serves to demonstrate that climate is more predictable than weather.

I think primitive man was much more concerned with not getting eaten by something than he was concerned over the fact that winter was cold, and summer was hot.   :whatever: :-)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

Well, the seasons are weather, not climate.

Offline Nick Schizen

• Probationary (Probie)

Mr Owl,

So you don't think that "weather" and "climate" have anything to do with one another?

If it snows in Florida in the month of May was it climate change or was it a weather anomaly?

Which one are you saying that you or the scientists that you have faith in can predict?

I also believe that a few hundred years ago there was a cooling period that plagued parts of this planet to the point where it was difficult to get a bite to eat in places.Gee! Did man make that happen? Or is that just something that the "true believers" in global warming just want to forget about?

And please ................. don't say that the global cooling hoax of the 70's didn't have supporters. I sent up quite a few high altitude balloons at the bottom of the world with  equipment attached looking for evidence to the yea or nay of it all.

The "Global Warming" believers are no different than the "Global Cooling" believers in the respect that they seem to want to believe in something that they simply can not prove with 100 % accuracy.

Maybe we need to look at what generates funds for and motivates certain segments of the scientific community! It's called funding! And I have aways found it amazing that the more screwey the idea that certain "brain trusts" come up with the more funding that they can get to come up with even more excitingly screwey off the wall theories of gloom and doom.

Of course you must realize that without "gloom and doom" there is no excitement and their funding dries up. And when their funding dries up they revert back to smelly, badly dressed pseudo intellectuals who head back to the Boon's Farm bottle. With funding they still dress and smell bad, but drink much better wine.

It is simply to the advantage of the scientific community to embrace theories such as this so that they can make money without ever producing a a damed thing of value.

When our water was polluted we cleaned it up. When acid rain was taking the paint off of buildings we did something about it. And it truely bennifited this planet and it's inhabitants. We stopped allowing feon and other compounds to be freely expelled into the atmosphere. We made it so that cars didn't smoke and burned the fuel very efficently.

But when people like myself said that maybe we should really think about converting to nuclear power generation we were shouted down by the same scientists who have now switched gears and have even said that nukes are now better than fossil fuel plants.

There are those who still don't like that and say that we should go with wind and solar. Hey! Not a bad idea and I'm actually for it. Hell! Even that Kennedy that's thrown in with that creep Chavez says that wind power is a good thing ......................... unless it's something that he and the rest of his inbred clan have to see from their summer compound. Of course the wind tables back up the fact that where they should be is where the Kennedy's don't want them. Of course if they were somewhere where you had to look at them you can bet your ass that Kennedy would have shoved them down you throat.

I think and believe what we are looking at is simply a way for a sect few to make a zillion dollars off the backs of the US tax payers with hairbrained schemes that will never be proven and will do nothing but give a bunch of educated street people looking scientists a free ride to go off on tangents while making the super rich even richer.

And should you be a democrat you have to go along with the whole play cause thats what Hillary wants you to do!

What I do kinds know is that sometimes things run in cycles and this just might be one of them.

It would be unfortunate if the "Barnum and Bailey" politician talk us all into buying into the biggest hoaxs perpatrated in the history of mankind.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
^^^*Can open.  worms all over. :banghead: :-)

*to borrow a posting habit from DB.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Mr Owl,

So you don't think that "weather" and "climate" have anything to do with one another?

Have I claimed that weather and climate have nothing to do with each other? No. Of course I know that weather and climate are related. What I wrote is that climate is more predictable than weather, not that the two are unrelated.

If it snows in Florida in the month of May was it climate change or was it a weather anomaly?

Which one are you saying that you or the scientists that you have faith in can predict?

The basic goal of the effort to study global warming is to predict long term temperature trends, not to predict what the weather will be like during a given day, week, or even month.

And please ................. don't say that the global cooling hoax of the 70's didn't have supporters. I sent up quite a few high altitude balloons at the bottom of the world with  equipment attached looking for evidence to the yea or nay of it all.

The "Global Warming" believers are no different than the "Global Cooling" believers in the respect that they seem to want to believe in something that they simply can not prove with 100 % accuracy.

People believe all sorts of things. Who cares? What I'm telling you is that the theory of global cooling which gained publicity in the 1970s was supported by only a few research papers at most and I'm not even sure if those made any definite predictions. If you doubt my claim that the science of the 1970s did not support the theory of global cooling then try to find scientific literature on the subject. I can tell you right now that you will find almost nothing except for some goofy articles in Newsweek and maybe National Geographic.

Follow the science, not the hype.

Maybe we need to look at what generates funds for and motivates certain segments of the scientific community! It's called funding! And I have aways found it amazing that the more screwey the idea that certain "brain trusts" come up with the more funding that they can get to come up with even more excitingly screwey off the wall theories of gloom and doom.

It's a conspiracy!

:whatever:

Seriously, dude... Most scientists are decent people trying to earn an honest living. To suggest that scientists are being paid to falsify their work is preposterous. I'm not saying that fraud in science doesn't occur. I just don't think that fraud in science occurs on the large scale you're imagining it occurs on. Besides, the number of people who would have to be involved and coordinated to pull off the kind of fraud you imagine is going on in science makes the kind of fraud you imagine is going on in science nearly impossible to get away with. But, believe whatever you want to believe. I don't care.

Of course you must realize that without "gloom and doom" there is no excitement and their funding dries up. And when their funding dries up they revert back to smelly, badly dressed pseudo intellectuals who head back to the Boon's Farm bottle.

You're mistakenly assuming that whatever activists, politicians, and media figures are saying about climate change is what the scientific thinking on the subject is. Most of the scientific research on climate change thus far has not attempted to predict the impact on mankind.

Moreover, fame and fortune goes to scientists who overturn the conventional thinking, not to those who find evidence to support the conventional thinking.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:09:29 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Nick Schizen

• Probationary (Probie)
Mr. Owl!

Oh Cow Farts!

Wait Mr. Owl! Scientists did scientific studies on just that subject! Cow Flatus ........... and it's effects on global warming. Do you see any legitamate reason to study what comes out of a cows ass?

From what you've written so far maybe you do. But Mr. Owl I don't and only see it as a great waste of time, effort and money.

After all ............... of course they pass gas ............. so what do you do about that? Shoot them? Get my point?

Mr Owl. Are you a theoretical scientist? Do you know theoretical scientists? Do you even know what a theoretical scientist is without looking it up on the internet? Hey! It's ok if you don't, but some year when you have a lot of time read some books check out the works of some of them. Many of their theories will make you laugh out loud if you can comprehend their meaning.

Here's an "Einsteinism" that you should think about before you believe every bit of grandious fantasy that scientists peddle!

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought I have come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge"

The word "fantasy", of course, equates to such things as, delusion, illusion, misconseption, trick, fools paradise, self-deception, hallucination, figment of the imagination, something unsubstantial, etc...

I have spent a bit of time with scientists and what I write is from personal experience.

There is a bit of humor about how many scientists really are that I would like to share with you.

STANTZ
This is like a major disgrace. Forget MIT or Stanford now .............. they wouldn't touch us with a 10 meter cattle prod.

VENKMAN
You're always so worried about your reputation. We don't need the University. Einstein did his best stuff as a patent clerk. They can't stop progress.

STANTZ
Do you know what a patent clerk makes? I like the university. They gave us money, they gave us a facility and we didn't have to produce anything. I've worked in the private sector ........... they expect results. You've never been out of college. You don't know what it's like out there.

As far as the 70's hoax about the cooling trend and not being able to find much about it on the net it could be that the net wasn't around then and that no one wanted to type all that garbage. There was quite a bit more info back then, but I don't believe that you were around then.

Of course there is a zillion things on the net these days about "global warming". It could be that it's so fashionable these days to run around like chicken little and blaming President Bush for everything under the sun from the sky falling to the hemmoroids on ones ass. It's so Clintonian!

I see that unfortunately you close to "cherry pick" much of what I wrote. It's ok if that's what you wish to do, but it does remove some of the context high points that I was making.

So Mr. Owl ............. what have you heard about the expansion of the universe and the very expansion of this rock that we are sitting on right now? How about the tilt of axis and even the cyclic nature of sun phases and their effect on climate and weather. Hell! Even the jet stream is known to shift a little now and then and that could possibly have some effects ......... don't you think? And better yet what do you think that man has done to effect such natural occurances?

Or how about the industrialazation of parts of the world like China and India along with all the other little shit pot countries of the region? Ever seen satelite shots of those areas with something other than some half assed resolution that you get off the freebe internet sites?

Wanna talk about pollution? Those boys don't give a fat rats ass about the enviorment ........ let alone global warming.

Oh! If you like, please feel free to call me Nick.

Offline Chris_

Mr. Owl!

Oh Cow Farts!

Oh! If you like, please feel free to call me Nick.

Nick.....I hate to have to tell you this.....but you are wasting your time "debating" with TNO......particularly on this subject.....

AGW is his "religion", and as such you will never convince him that his "beliefs" are inaccurate.  "Climate scientists" are his "priests", therefore his entire world would crumble were he to lose his faith in Gia.....

Most reasonable, thinking people do their homework, and arrive at the inevitable conclusion that the entire concept of AGW is a politically motivated attempt to elevate a psuedoscientific myth to sufficient public prominence to force draconian controls and limitations on the lifestyles and economic activities of developed nations (particularly the US) and their citizens at the expense of free trade, capitalism, and individual freedoms.  This is why doomshouters like TNO don't like to discuss the real costs and effects of the consequences of what widespread regulations to "curb AGW" will actually do to the lifestyles of "the folks".......if they were to actually place the results of their proposed changes into "real terms"  the public would rise up and come for them with pitchforks and torches....

AGW is the "new religion"of the atheist left......no more, no less.....

doc