Author Topic: Andrea Doria Victim - 1956 Chrysler Norseman  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Andrea Doria Victim - 1956 Chrysler Norseman
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:59:17 AM »
http://www.carstyling.ru/en/cars.1956_Chrysler_Norseman.html

On schedule, the completed Norseman was carefully loaded onto the Andrea Doria, a modern and luxurious ocean liner. The Chrysler design team back in Highland Park, Michigan eagerly awaited the car’s arrival. It was July, and the trans-Atlantic trip would deliver the Norseman to the states in plenty of time for the 1957 auto show circuit.

The Norseman never made it. In an accident chalked up to human error, the Andrea Doria collided with a passenger ship, the MV Stockholm, off the coast of Massachusetts . The liner sank within hours, taking all of its cargo to the sea floor. Few Americans ever saw Exner’s clean, nearly chrome-free design at full size. Perhaps, if the Norseman had completed its crossing, the design would have positively impacted Chrysler’s styling as the company dealt inelegantly with the transition from the "fin" to "no-fin" era.

This comes from a website dedicate to concept cars.  If you are interested in such cars like I am, you will find this very entertaining.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Andrea Doria Victim - 1956 Chrysler Norseman
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »
Wow, another maritime disaster.

I'm starting to collect maritime disasters like other people collect postage-stamps.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
Another golden oldie from the "juke box" era in American automobiles.......sorta reminds me of a cross between a 56 Desoto, and a Nash sweepback.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »
NOOOOO!!!  :bawl:

:( *sniff*
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »
I don't care what you think, hear, or think you know - Chryslers were the nicest cars of the 1950's.  They had great style, class, creature comforts, and preformance. 

Losing this Norseman concept car is a sad piece of American automotive history.  I wonder what the car looks like today after fifty years on the bottom of the lake?   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:02:04 PM »
I don't care what you think, hear, or think you know - Chryslers were the nicest cars of the 1950's.  They had great style, class, creature comforts, and preformance. 

Losing this Norseman concept car is a sad piece of American automotive history.  I wonder what the car looks like today after fifty years on the bottom of the lake?   

I just want a car I can put whitewalls on.  You can't put whitewalls on a Honda Accord.  :(

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

I just want a car I can put whitewalls on.  You can't put whitewalls on a Honda Accord.  :(

The last car I had whitewalls on was my

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 05:09:06 PM »

I think I've mentioned this before, but I would love to have a 1963 Galaxie.  Old cars fascinate me, but I know nothing about them.  It's more about art and style than it is a vehicle.

I wouldn't turn down a '72 Torino hardtop.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »

I think I've mentioned this before, but I would love to have a 1963 Galaxie.  Old cars fascinate me, but I know nothing about them.  It's more about art and style than it is a vehicle.

I wouldn't turn down a '72 Torino hardtop.

All the under-the-hood diddlyboos are nice and important, but when it comes down too it, art and style are what the classic cars are all about. 

Cars use to have a personality.  They were more than a transportation machine.  They were a member of the family.  It was a better time in America.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 06:15:36 PM »
NOOOOO!!!  :bawl:

:( *sniff*

You know, on another thread we had a DUmmy complaining about crying she-men.  Now, the idea of losing this baby is a VERY good reason to cry.