Author Topic: So all I need is a reciever, right?  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
So all I need is a reciever, right?
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:32:41 PM »
We have this killer big screen HD TV.  We have speakers that are already mounted and have wires coming from them.  I'm thinking all we need is the receiver in order to get the sound from the TV to go through the speakers, right?  In our basement our TV sits in the window of this tiny room.  In the room has all the wiring for our home audio system.  The speakers are mounted above in the wall where the TV goes.  It would be nice to have speakers mounted on the wall behind the couch opposite of the TV but for now I am thinking that I could get these other speakers set up rather easily with a receiver. 

Unless I am completely missing something.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I would LOVE to get this set up before fight night tonight.  If I don't, I won't die...but it would be rather nice for my husband to watch it with REAL sound as opposed to dinky TV sound.  LOL

Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: So all I need is a reciever, right?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:20:29 PM »
Yes, you will probably need a reciever unless your TV has enough outputs to connect to all the speakers. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »
Yes, you will probably need a reciever unless your TV has enough outputs to connect to all the speakers. 

No, it doesn't have the right output.  I need something to connect the wires to and then something to connect to the TV.  I'm assuming.  I'm going to venture down to Best Buy after I purchase the fight.  I'm such a good wife.  :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »
It would help if you posted a picture of the connections on the TV. Our's has two RCA jacks for "audio out", but that will only drive two small speakers.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »
A receiver will make it surround sound.  We bought a fairly inexpensive one when our cheapo surround sound one died...it took some hooking up, but works great. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »
A receiver will make it surround sound.  We bought a fairly inexpensive one when our cheapo surround sound one died...it took some hooking up, but works great. 

That and a good tailback.

five more months til football.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:21:02 AM »
BLoody hell I think the speakers are blown.  When I hooked them up they were all noise and static.   :censored:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »
Tess, sounds like you don't have it hooked up to the right outputs. Make sure (if you got a reciever) that you use the RCA (phono) jacks marked audio out to the RCA's marked input (your choice as to which ones you want to use, AUX should be fine) on the reciever.

Here's my TV "system" it also doubles as my audio system:

close up of one of the speakers, these are "ribbon" speakers:

I think (possibly) the noise you are hearing is an open input, no signal.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
Tess, sounds like you don't have it hooked up to the right outputs. Make sure (if you got a reciever) that you use the RCA (phono) jacks marked audio out to the RCA's marked input (your choice as to which ones you want to use, AUX should be fine) on the reciever.

Oh I will check it out!!!  By the way, it was very sweet of you to save my place on your couch.   :-)

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 02:34:25 PM »
On my couch, the wine is not optional.   :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 03:48:20 AM »

Nice setup, looks comfortable.  :cheersmate:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »
Ty, I should update the pic, it's from 3 years ago. We've added drapes to the room. Much nicer looking now.

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
I like the wood flooring!  I have FINALLY talked my husband into getting wood floors throughout the main floor.  It will significantly cut down on the dirt I have to spot clean from the friggin dogs.  Although I don't think I am going to get the "hand-shaved" as beautiful as they are, they will not wear well with the wear and tear our oldest would put on them....or the dogs for that matter.  Le sigh.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
 My TV ...Where do one find those kind of speakers.

Close huh??

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 12:36:56 PM »
Where do one find those kind of speakers.

The company, Apogee Acoustics, went out of business in 1996. The name has been revived by a guy in Austraila, he makes replacement ribbons, VERY expensive, and produces the same model I have, the Duetta.
The speakers are $20K +!!!!
If you want the sound of an Apogee, look on E-Prey for a model they made, the Centuar, preferably the Major. It's a hy-brid. It uses a ribbon midrange/tweeter (the thin one on mine) and a cone bass driver. The bigger models, like mine, have a "ribbon" bass panel, but if it goes bad, and they do, it's about $2500 for new ones. The Centuar with a cone driver makes much more money "sense" and you get the incredible midrange of an Apogee.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
20 K ????? 2500???? dollars???? Me thinks i'll be suffering through with me  cheap arse Bose..thanx.. ::) :bawl:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »
Ya, at the level of sound quality these speakers are at, the price of admission is pretty steep.
Look for the Centuars, they usually go for under a grand.

Tess, did you get your system to work??
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:50:40 PM by Wineslob »

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
Ya, at the level of sound quality these speakers are at, the price of admission is pretty steep.
Look for the Centuars, they usually go for under a grand.

Tess, did you get your system to work??

No.  Not yet.  I am in tech-hell.  Today it took a dishnetwork guy FIVE friggin hours to take one 2-room receiver away and set up 2 separate receivers for each of those rooms.  I can't even begin to tell you my experience with Dish Network and their lovely customer service that is based in India.   :banghead:

The TV room is a M E S S!  I need another tech head or more time to sort it out.  This is probably one of the ONLY areas where I truly feel inferior because I am not a guy.  I keep thinking "Come on.  It can't be that hard."  Not because mostly guys do it...mainly because I think I am smart enough.  HAHAHAHA!  I won't allow my husband NEAR any of this stuff.  All he has to do is LOOK at technology and it implodes. 

I might go down to the basement tonight and take some pics so you all know what kind of monster I am dealing with.  I want to cry, eat chocolate and watch a chick flick since I really know how to do that kind of shit.   :whatever:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »
Well I hope it works out.

I looked at my post about the possible problem, and I may not have been clear enough.When you get away from the chick-flicks and chocolate (  :tongue: ) try t making sure you are using the Audio Out (RCA/Phono jacks) from the TV to the reciever INPUTS (they look the same) marked AUX. Then see whatca get.

I'd take a pic of the backside of my system (no snide remarks guys!  :hammer:), but I've so much crap (a Turn Table (yup I still use one) 2 CD players, a GO VIDEO, + the Video!! (DVR)) hooked to it, it would probably be too confusing looking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:51:53 PM by Wineslob »

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
Well I hope it works out.

I looked at my post about the possible problem, and I may not have been clear enough.When you get away from the chick-flicks and chocolate (  :tongue: ) try t making sure you are using the Audio Out (RCA/Phono jacks) from the TV to the reciever INPUTS (they look the same) marked AUX. Then see whatca get.

I'd take a pic of the backside of my system (no snide remarks guys!  :hammer:), but I've so much crap (a Turn Table (yup I still use one) 2 CD players, a GO VIDEO, + the Video!! (DVR)) hooked to it, it would probably be too confusing looking.

LOL  I gotcha.  Sounds like you have something like what I grew up with.  My dad was the kING of components for his stereo system.    After having the Dishnetwork guy here forever the other day I have decided to make the TV room my Saturday project.  I need to go in and clean up all the dead wires, band the ones together that are going in and out of everywhere and work on those speakers as well as get things looking spiffy in there.  The TV room is a small electrical room that sits directly behind the big screen down stairs.  I gotta work on that for sure.

Just after I watch another chick flick.... :popcorn: